+ Reply to Thread

Thread: don't laugh, it actually makes a big difference

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

Default don't laugh, it actually makes a big difference

Senior Member miraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud of

On the website you've put the Speed of Fencing video to show how much the tips move around with a normal barrel. Can you do a slow motion video to show the comparative tip movement with this barrel?

At only three times the price of the next highest spec tip it's not as crazy as the tungtsen pommel, which is about nine times the price of the next most expensive pommel LP sell. Unlike a pommel you can't really expect a barrel to last forever, though. People who can afford it will buy it, of course.

If I'm bored I might work out the cost of the most expensive epee you can buy these days and ask someone of a more venerable age to say what they remember them costing 'back in their day'. Might be an interesting exercise.

Why does my tone always sound like I'm grumbling when I read it back? Not really intended as a grumble, just the thoughts spilling out.

Senior Member Harryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to behold Harryscott's Avatar

Looks good. I'd buy one if they did the same thing for foils. Then again, I'm so desperate, I'll try anything.

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miraberis View Post
    On the website you've put the Speed of Fencing video to show how much the tips move around with a normal barrel. Can you do a slow motion video to show the comparative tip movement with this barrel?
    If you can lend me a 75k slow mo camera I think she used the phantom flex that these gyts use http://www.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys

Quote Originally Posted by Harryscott View Post
    Looks good. I'd buy one if they did the same thing for foils. Then again, I'm so desperate, I'll try anything.
    it makes less of a difference as the volume of metal is lower but we have tried it.

I am not sure if we will release them, we will see how these go first i think.

Senior Member Harryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to behold Harryscott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP View Post
    it makes less of a difference as the volume of metal is lower but we have tried it.

I am not sure if we will release them, we will see how these go first i think.
    Okay. Conversely, would it help flick-hits if the tip of your foil was actually heavier?

Senior Member miraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP View Post
    If you can lend me a 75k slow mo camera I think she used the phantom flex that these guys use http://www.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys
    Alternatively you could send a couple of free barrels to a certain American epee fencer who you know already has access to such a camera and ask her to make the film for you... just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by miraberis View Post
    Alternatively you could send a couple of free barrels to a certain American epee fencer who you know already has access to such a camera and ask her to make the film for you... just a thought.
    I very much doubt she owns the camera, I suspect she borrowed it but I am only guesing. I know a few people in the industry and generally they borrow or rent the high end kit to do personal work when paying customers are not renting it.

Oh well, was just and idea!

Forum Rabbit Sad Epee will become famous soon enough Sad Epee's Avatar

Smile thoughts on epee points

An interesting development but the weight of the tip needs also to be matched to the stiffness of the blade and style, whipping style will be more effected than point inline.

Having said that the V shape LP ones are very whippy so i can see it making a difference on those blades especially (which to be fair makes them last longer) but a stiff BF blue may not be effected very much so i think it is a style of fencing and type blade all needs consideration.

But the quality of the finish inside the barrel is key which i would like to see it first, the problems with it grating and jamming costing you hits like the recent gold colored ones showed quality of the machining and any fancy coating is an important factor in the point working.

Still think the blue coated ones LP did where the best, nice high quality finish inside and the coating prevented them collecting dust inside keeping them clean longer and smoother action (guess such waxing over barrels is sign of a epee fencer (never hear this from foilist).

Above is all personal reflection - with slight hint to LP keep doing the blue barrels please!

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Not laughing - nice improvement.

But how much laser engraving can you *fit* on an epee point? I think you've reached the limit here.

Initiate Paladin2019 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Epee View Post
    But the quality of the finish inside the barrel is key which i would like to see it first, the problems with it grating and jamming costing you hits like the recent gold colored ones showed quality of the machining and any fancy coating is an important factor in the point working.
    They are much, much better than the golden TiN points were, especially when combined with a GT2 tip.

Member manicguitarist has a spectacular aura aboutmanicguitarist has a spectacular aura about manicguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    Not laughing - nice improvement.

But how much laser engraving can you *fit* on an epee point? I think you've reached the limit here.

To be fair - if I had a laser engraving machine then *EVERYTHING* would have little patterns on it.

Senior Member BigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by purple
    Thought that was how they'd reduced the weight... do that on both sides there'll be nothing left!!
    Risk a lot and wear glasses

+ Reply to Thread