+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for potential veteran fencer

Forum Rabbit zygon is on a distinguished road

Default Advice for potential veteran fencer

Hi,

I'm thinking of giving vets fencing a go - specifically the age groups comp- but not sure if I'm up to standard.
    I'm a decent club foilist (bronze in county championship last year) but don't have any experience of national competitions and have only been fencing a few years. I qualify for age group 1.
    I'm a bit worried that it might be a bad experience being the whipping boy if everyone else are ex-olympians!

Should I give it a go, what do you reckon?

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Definately no ex-olympians in the Cat 1 foil

With apologies to the current entries, the Cat 2 is stronger - and I am not the strongest
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Thanks for that. I'll probably give it a go, for the experience if nothing else. Just a bit nervous about it, that's all!

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

I entered my first age groups after I had only been fencing a few months. Stop being nervous and get your entry in!!

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

A look at who's entered shows 8 already, 4 men and 4 women. This is a uni-sex event so you'll get at least 8 fights as I'm led to believe the comp is run with poules unique. This will be my first age groups comp too and I'm looking forward to it.

Go for it, I'd say.
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go. See you next weekend!

Senior Member J_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to beholdJ_D is a splendid one to behold J_D's Avatar

I had intended to go this year, but unfortunately had to withdraw.

Get your entry in, and do the Veterans' British Nationals too, always a good competition regardless of your standdard, you will enjoy being a vet
    Only anarchists are trustworthy

Initiate MKCap is on a distinguished road

I will probably pop along to watch some as it is just down the road from me, that and I need to get a couple of bits from LP before Slough. Might even be able to provide a warm up for epee if anyone wants one

Initiate CornishEpeeist will become famous soon enoughCornishEpeeist will become famous soon enough

If you go in with the right attitude (knowing you may not win!), and you know it's all about experience, you should have a great time!

Get your entry in and happy fencing!
    Wine?

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Just started my training programme for next weekend.

Being daft, I have decided to do the sabre to warm up for the foil!
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Quote Originally Posted by Foilling Around View Post
    Just started my training programme for next weekend.

Being daft, I have decided to do the sabre to warm up for the foil!
    You mean there's training involved?!

Yeah, a whole week's worth..... If I remain fit!

Glad I'm not in Cat 2 with all that training going on and ex-Olympians & GB team involved!

Forum Rabbit holding wrong end is on a distinguished road holding wrong end's Avatar

I've entered,although feeling way out of my depth,My first vet comp,it should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by holding wrong end View Post
    I've entered,although feeling way out of my depth,My first vet comp,it should be fun.
    It will be - highly competitive and good natured. You won't be out of your depth - relax and have fun.

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CornishEpeeist View Post
    If you go in with the right attitude (knowing you may not win!), and you know it's all about experience, you should have a great time!

Get your entry in and happy fencing!
    I went with that attitude and had a great day fencing. First time at the Age Groups and ended up in a fence off for third place! Lost that to an Olympic epeeist but did manage to beat another Olympic epeeist on the way.

Brilliant fun and thanks to John Mason for persuading me to enter.
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

+ Reply to Thread