+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haverstock Training Camp 2013

Senior Member Jon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond repute Jon Willis's Avatar

Default Haverstock Training Camp 2013

New Website Launched

The long anticipated new Haverstock Training Camp website has been launched and is now accepting bookings for the 2013 edition of the UK’s original & best epee training camp.

The 2013 camp is once again taking place at the home of German fencing, Tauberbischofsheim, from the 18th – 25th August. This year the National Academy will not be attending and we have reduced the total number of fencers to 80. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

As before, the website contains all the core information you need to know about the camp. However, the new website has been expanded significantly. You’ll now also find panoramic photo’s of the fencing centre, an interactive hotel map, video & photos from previous years and a short guide as to what you can expect from the Haverstock Training Camp.

The principal new feature of the website is the ability to sign up for the camp online making the process instant, easy and convenient. The registration form takes you step by step through the different transport, accommodation and training options. Once registered, you can create an account allowing you to create your own profile, add photographs, chat to other fencers and take advantage of the interactive features coming soon. Once you have a Haverstock Training Camp account, you can complete all future forms securely online making the camp completely paperless and hassle free.

The camp, like the website, is continually evolving. We have endeavoured to respond to the feedback we receive and the experience of 16 previous camps to make the 2013 Haverstock Training Camp the best ever.

http://haverstocktrainingcamp.com

The new website is online
    If anyone finds any bugs, problems or has suggestions or comments then get in touch with me directly!

Cheers

Mike

Member n_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of light n_freebody's Avatar

Liking the new swish website and have been convinced by several people that I should be going to this and shouldnt be using my lack of ability/fitness (neither of which are that bad) as an excuse not to go. As a camp newbie however I have a couple of questions:

1. For those who have gone before would you recommend staying at the center or in one of the local hotels? If one of the hotels then which one do people tend to go for?

2. How easy is it to fly with your fencing kit? Do you have to pay excess baggage? Currently trying to decide between the speed of flying or the cheaper less faff coach option. Where does the coach leave from in london?

Ok that was more than a couple of questions but 2 general themes.

Senior Member Jon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond repute Jon Willis's Avatar

Allow me to try and answer some of your questions.

1. The Hotel Pension Stein is a nice hotel if you want to share with someone in a twin room, single rooms are better in Hotel Badischer Hof. I have stayed in both, they are used to hosting fencers and are in the centre of town close to each other. The Alderhof is new for this year and I have no idea what it's like personally but again it is in the centre of town and about a 5min walk from the fencing centre.

2. Flying with fencing kit is easy when travelling with Lufthansa or British Airways, 20kg or 23kg and no extra charge. You can get some flights from Heathrow to Frankfurt right now for under £100. Don't forget to add the cost of getting from the airport to Tauber. The official camp airport transfer costs £55 return and the train from Frankfurt to Tauber is about €100 return.

The coach (fun-bus) London picks up is from Clacket Lane Services on the M25.

Hope that helps

Member n_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of light n_freebody's Avatar

Cool thanks spoken to a few other people as well and they have said the same. I was just worried as I have never flown with my kit bag before and thought it may cost extra.

Default Camp Update

The new camp website have been up for it's first full week and already 10 people have signed up for the original & best epee training camp.

Transport & accommodation choices are issued on a first come, first served basis so don't miss out by leaving it to the last minute.

Camp Places Remaining: 70

Coach seats Remaining: 48

Member manicguitarist has a spectacular aura aboutmanicguitarist has a spectacular aura about manicguitarist's Avatar

Gah!

See! See! *THIS* is why I should have looked on here *before* booking my family holiday.

Pffft.

Have fun everyone. Wish I could be there!

Default February Update

Plenty of space left on the camp but your choice travel and accommodation is issued on a first come, first served basis so don't leave it too long to sign up.

Camp Places remaining: 67

Coach seats remaining: 46

A list of people who have already signed up can been seen here

Default Contact Problems

I am having problems with emails sent to me through the website. If you use the 'contact us' page to send a message I don't get the body text, something to do with html text I am told.

Until the problem is fixed please can you use the email address below to contact me.

jon@haverstocktrainingcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Willis View Post
    I am having problems with emails sent to me through the website. If you use the 'contact us' page to send a message I don't get the body text, something to do with html text I am told.

Until the problem is fixed please can you use the email address below to contact me.

jon@haverstocktrainingcamp.com
    Must be a communications issues like British Fencing....or do I not have all the information? Can I still take umbrage with your lack of professionalism? Of course, I'm only joking.

Default Signups coming in...

A quarter of the places on the camp have now been taken and the fun bus is starting to fill up.

Camp Places remaining: 60

Coach seats remaining: 39

Member Penfold is on a distinguished road Penfold's Avatar

how about running a training camp aimed at us Vets.. who cant keep up with the youngsters any more???

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    how about running a training camp aimed at us Vets.. who cant keep up with the youngsters any more???
    Good luck with that comment, jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Lets have a go at answering that...

The HTC is really for everyone. We have international fencers from different countries along with some of the top British épée fencers training alongside club fencers, relative beginners and the children of young families. Some sessions are open and some are in ability groups, the training is tailored to your ability level and you train as much or as little are you want. No session is compulsory (apart from breakfast, mummy Willis says its the most important meal of the day)

A little aside, my favourite group of fencers who come on the camp I call 'The Gentleman's Club*'. They always train hard in the sessions they attend, though have been know to take the odd day off. You can however always find then in the evenings sampling the beer gardens of Tauber. I hope now I'm retired they will let me join their exclusive club.

*includes lady members

Default March update

Rooms in the fencing centre are starting to become limited. Accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis so don't miss out on your choice of room and sign up soon.

Camp Places remaining: 47

Coach seats remaining: 32

Any questions about the camp email me at jon@haverstocktrainingcamp.com

Default 150 days to go...

Three founding members of the Gentleman's Club have now signed up with the camp now over half full.

Camp Places remaining: 38

Coach seats remaining: 26

Accommodation in the Fencing centre is being limited.

Default 30 to go...

Camp Places remaining: 30

Coach seats remaining: 22

Kian Ryan purple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant future purple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Willis View Post
    Camp Places remaining: 30

Coach seats remaining: 22
    Sitting on your coach's seat is generally frowned upon.

I'll get my coat.

Default April Update

Camp Places remaining: 22

Coach seats remaining: 19

A list of fencers already attending can be found here

There are 7 people who have signed up with their deposits in the post so not shown on the website yet. This would reduce places left on the camp to 15 so places really becoming limited.

Default Three quarters full

We are down to the last 20 places on this years camp...

Camp Places remaining: 20

Coach seats remaining: 17

+ Reply to Thread