+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didier Ollagnon Coaching Masterclass - 10th March, Millfield

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Default Didier Ollagnon Coaching Masterclass - 10th March, Millfield

Didier Ollagnon, who is the German Senior National Epee coach, will be delivering an elite level coach educator clinic at Millfield School on 10th March 2013. This clinic is aimed at all ambitious epee coaches in the country to give them an insight into the skills and training methodology required for performance at the highest level.
    http://britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=737

Just booked my place.

Senior Member miraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    Me too - can't wait!

Senior Member jmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by miraberis View Post
    Me too - can't wait!
    This is the date of the Southern Regional qualifiers unfortunately, I know that many of our coaches were very keen on attending it but have commitments to the epeeists that they coach.

Is there another date planned for later in the year?

June

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

I doubt there'll be another one of these for a while.

Coaches responsibilities to fencers work two ways - not only do they need to be piste-side, but they also need to take opportunities for training as and when they appear. Without intending to sound too harsh, I personally would place a session with Didier Ollagnon as a higher priority over attending regional qualifiers.

Senior Member jmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to all

I doubt there'll be another one of these for a while.

Coaches responsibilities to fencers work two ways - not only do they need to be piste-side, but they also need to take opportunities for training as and when they appear. Without intending to sound too harsh, I personally would place a session with Didier Ollagnon as a higher priority over attending regional qualifiers.
    Well, that fortunately is not the attitude held by our local coaches who wish to support the youngsters they coach. Afraid my respect goes to them. Another course can be organised, in fact may do just that.

Senior Member miraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud ofmiraberis has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by jmayle View Post
    Well, that fortunately is not the attitude held by our local coaches who wish to support the youngsters they coach. Afraid my respect goes to them. Another course can be organised, in fact may do just that.
    Who is 'our local coaches', June? I am coaching in Southern Region these days and as you will see from above I am going to this event and not the qualifiers. I am trying to persuade a few of my youngsters to enter the qualifiers and if they do I will not be changing my plans. It would be their first competition, but I would brief them as best I could beforehand and then expect them to be able to cope without me holding their hands on the day. Knowing the kids in question I'm sure they would be just fine.

This opens up a whole area of interesting discussion about fencers' self-reliance, but maybe that should be saved for another thread rather than de-railing this one. There is no right or wrong answer.

I have said elsewhere that I think any epee coach wuld be crazy to miss an opportunity like this without a good reason, but oddly enough I know that different people have different priorities. What is a poor excuse to some is a good reason to others and I don't judge them for having a different world view to me.

If you organise another coaching seminar with Didier or indeed another world class foreign coach I would love to sign up - the more we have the better and I hope this is the first of many that the BFA will be putting on.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is beware of sweeping statements written in haste, especially when posting on the same thread as people they could be applied to!!!

Hi Miraberis,

Sorry, no sweeping statement intended, I have difficulty with aliases, think I know who you are.

The main point is there is a clash, lots of our coaches wanted to go but have had to make a choice. I feel quite sorry for them as I feel they are missing a great opportunity but frankly without the support of our coaches and fencers the regional qualifiers would not be viable. That said, our region seems to be enjoying good attendance at the moment, well certainly recently at the foil comp.

We have discussed one of these masterclasses as part of our coach education within the region but open to all.

I am afraid we have to book our venues a year in advance and these clashes cannot be helped at times, in fact, the foil barely fit into the schedule which is slightly worrying in a good way.

Please go and enjoy your training day, I know many coaches also take the opportunity of training overseas with coaches of high calibre and all of this can only be good for the sport.

As you obviously know me better than I know you, you will know that we have only been associated with a particular coach for a couple of years, my daughter has had no reliance on any coach in particular for most of her junior fencing til that date, even now, she is able to think and act for herself. Of course when her coach is around the results are often better as his experience, skill and tactical opinion helps.

Oh and not written in haste.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayle View Post
    Hi Miraberis,

Sorry, no sweeping statement intended, I have difficulty with aliases, think I know who you are.

The main point is there is a clash, lots of our coaches wanted to go but have had to make a choice. I feel quite sorry for them as I feel they are missing a great opportunity but frankly without the support of our coaches and fencers the regional qualifiers would not be viable. That said, our region seems to be enjoying good attendance at the moment, well certainly recently at the foil comp.

We have discussed one of these masterclasses as part of our coach education within the region but open to all.

I am afraid we have to book our venues a year in advance and these clashes cannot be helped at times, in fact, the foil barely fit into the schedule which is slightly worrying in a good way.

Please go and enjoy your training day, I know many coaches also take the opportunity of training overseas with coaches of high calibre and all of this can only be good for the sport.

As you obviously know me better than I know you, you will know that we have only been associated with a particular coach for a couple of years, my daughter has had no reliance on any coach in particular for most of her junior fencing til that date, even now, she is able to think and act for herself. Of course when her coach is around the results are often better as his experience, skill and tactical opinion helps.

Oh and not written in haste.
    Hi June, thanks for replying.
    I understand the difficulties of fitting regional competitions into an already crowded calendar. I agree that it is a shame for anyone who would liked to have gone but can't, for whatever reason, which is why it would be great if the BFA makes sure this isn't just a one off.
    Southern Region does seem to be doing well and all the recent events I have been to have been very enjoyable, so you and the rest are obviously doing something right despite the trickiness of the job.
    Actually I don't know you quite well enough to know Rebecca's coach history! If you're not sure who I am the link in the footer of my posts should remove any mystery (knew it was there for more than just advertising, ahem).
    Andrew

Senior Member plenty has a spectacular aura aboutplenty has a spectacular aura about

Default Apologies

Dear all,
    I can't make it next weekend.
    Will call Charlie at hq on Monday. Just heads up there is a space..
    Pls if anyone videos or obs ?
    Kind regards
    Mark

I can't believe I'm saying this...

Last night, I severely sprained my ankle whilst playing dodgeball. I word walk over hot coals to make it this weekend, but the one thing I can not do is drive, and Bolton to Somerset is not doable without the car.

As such, I've asked Neil Brown to offer my place to someone. It's a " registered coach" place, paid for. My only request is that if someone takes my place, they please take notes and send them my way with copies of any takeaways. As plenty said, videos would be awesome.

I am *gutted* to be missing this this weekend. Let's please make sure that this happens on a regular basis. I really do feel we should be running one of these per quarter.

In related news, I will soooooo fail a drugs test these next few days.

Whhhhhhheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!"!

Just want to say, this was a really enjoyable day! I learned a lot and have loads of good ideas to take back to the club with me.

Thanks to Didier who was brilliant and to BF for getting him over here.

I really hope we can look forward to more events like this in the future.

Senior Member fencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant futurefencingmaster has a brilliant future fencingmaster's Avatar

Smile

Very enjoyable day with a very charasmatic coach.
    IMO, messages
    1. "be cool"
    2. don't be scared, be brave
    3. if you want to hit....mean it!
    4. give the fencer choice of action
    5. get the fencer to work it out
    6 "be cool"

Senior Member Jon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond repute Jon Willis's Avatar

British Fencing had a days Master Class with Didier Ollagnon on Sunday, great idea.

However, you could have him for a whole week including daily individual lessons from German National Coach on the Haverstock Training Camp...

http://haverstocktrainingcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Willis View Post
    British Fencing had a days Master Class with Didier Ollagnon on Sunday, great idea.

However, you could have him for a whole week including daily individual lessons from German National Coach on the Haverstock Training Camp...

http://haverstocktrainingcamp.com
    One of the key differences being that this was targed as a coach masterclass, rather than a training session for fencers.

Now if he came over to run a coaching course for a week... that could be interesting.

In related news: we're now up to tight ligaments and impressive bruising. I'm doing the physio ;-)

Senior Member Jon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond repute Jon Willis's Avatar

One of the key differences being that this was targed as a coach masterclass, rather than a training session for fencers.

Now if he came over to run a coaching course for a week... that could be interesting.
    We had a coaching master class over in Tauber last year on the Haverstock Training Camp, come to think of it, it was the same time Alan Rapley was there visiting the Academy camp for a few days.

Member SAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura about

WOWwhat a great day I had yesterday in millfield . hank you to the people that organised the day. WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE?!! how about FOIL as well.

I went to day and was so enthused I actually enjoyed myself for the first time in a long time.
    thank you DIdier

I am jealous of anybody that has the chance to work with such a great character on a regular basis

Member SAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura about

missing text alert

IT should read I went to work and there should be a T in thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SAD View Post
    WOWwhat a great day I had yesterday in millfield . hank you to the people that organised the day. WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE?!! how about FOIL as well.

I went to day and was so enthused I actually enjoyed myself for the first time in a long time.
    thank you DIdier

I am jealous of anybody that has the chance to work with such a great character on a regular basis
    I hate you all. *SULK* *REALLY SULK*.

Senior Member plenty has a spectacular aura aboutplenty has a spectacular aura about

Dear all,
    Can anyone please provide video of the day ( with sound even better ! ) or maybe upload some of the lessons ? Am really keen to see his composition and hear his teaching tips
    I hope someone was able to make use of my space
    Ta
    Kind regards
    Mark

P.s hopefully more days like this

+ Reply to Thread