Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Fencing Apps

  1. #1

    Default Fencing Apps

    I know this comes up occasionally on the forums but fencing apps are getting more sophisticated.

    My teenage son would like constructive feedback on the app he has developed please, its called 'Fencing Mate - Free' and is available on the Google App Store.

    This is a free mini version:

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eFree&hl=en_GB

    There is also a more sophisticated one called ' Fencing Mate - Pro ' also on Google App Store.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FencingMatePro

    He wants to know how user friendly it is, are the buttons big enough, does the text need to be bigger or bolder, does it need more colour.

    He is a fencer himself and also refs in the local league and he is hoping that he has got this right. It is currently only an android app. He is already looking at developing it further to add in other elements such as poule sheets, data transfer etc

    thanks for your time.

    Sue

  2. #2

    Default

    Take a look at fencing ref for the iPhone. The is considered the standard where I am at.

    I would like to see the ability to enter an entire poul sheet and select the number of fencers. I would also like to be able to enter the fencers names. I also didn't see anything for penalty or priority.

    I would personally prefer the buttons to be about 10-15% bigger.

  3. #3

    Default IPhone and Entire Poule Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherwms View Post
    Take a look at fencing ref for the iPhone. The is considered the standard where I am at.

    I would like to see the ability to enter an entire poul sheet and select the number of fencers. I would also like to be able to enter the fencers names. I also didn't see anything for penalty or priority.

    I would personally prefer the buttons to be about 10-15% bigger.
    Thank you so much for your feedback.
    I have been considering the ability to enter an entire poule sheet and select the number of fencers for a while. There are penalties on the Paid version and priority are coming on the next paid version update along with bug fixes which i have found from today. As of the iPhone the price of doing that would to come up to a cost of almost 200 which i simply don't have (yet). I may crowd-fund source this sometime in the next month though or if i make the money through the app. The buttons bigger i will also do.

    I will toy with the idea of the entire poule sheet idea.

    Thanks Again,
    Alexander Bolton
    TheSketchees

  4. #4
    Senior Member gethylogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cymru | Wales
    Posts
    396

    Default

    I trialed the free version on Sunday and opted for my usual go-to-app soon after. Before I explain why I want to congratulate you on making them while it's always nice to see new fencing apps. The lock feature is a piece of genius and stops you accidentally hitting reset while the vibrate works well and makes the start button feel tactile. And now for my gripes, I don't know if it's the way my phone, Moto G, has rendered the app but the start button is tiny and located on the bottom of the screen, I've supplied a screenshot below if anyone wants to see. It's easy to overshoot while it's placed precariously over the home button which is the last thing you want to press. Personally I'd like if the button was larger and located in the middle of the screen.

    Aesthetically the app doesn't look any different to the majority of referee apps while I found the dark gradient background to be a little dated. I wouldn't mind seeing an android referee app that incorporates Google's material design principals as it'll stand out and look terrific imo. And while I don't tend to reff epee I wouldn't mind seeing a double hit button instead of pressing the point buttons individually why I wouldn't mind if you could stop the clock simply by pressing for a point. Obviously I don't know if these are incorporated in the paid app but these are my thoughts on the free version.

    App.jpg

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gethylogic View Post
    I trialed the free version on Sunday and opted for my usual go-to-app soon after. Before I explain why I want to congratulate you on making them while it's always nice to see new fencing apps. The lock feature is a piece of genius and stops you accidentally hitting reset while the vibrate works well and makes the start button feel tactile. And now for my gripes, I don't know if it's the way my phone, Moto G, has rendered the app but the start button is tiny and located on the bottom of the screen, I've supplied a screenshot below if anyone wants to see. It's easy to overshoot while it's placed precariously over the home button which is the last thing you want to press. Personally I'd like if the button was larger and located in the middle of the screen.

    Aesthetically the app doesn't look any different to the majority of referee apps while I found the dark gradient background to be a little dated. I wouldn't mind seeing an android referee app that incorporates Google's material design principals as it'll stand out and look terrific imo. And while I don't tend to reff epee I wouldn't mind seeing a double hit button instead of pressing the point buttons individually why I wouldn't mind if you could stop the clock simply by pressing for a point. Obviously I don't know if these are incorporated in the paid app but these are my thoughts on the free version.

    App.jpg
    This is exactly the feedback i like. Just doing an update now trying to incorporate everything you said. I completely forgot about the Double button since i'm not a Epee fencer myself. The free app having more room is going to have its space taken up by the large start button in the next update. As for the design i will do at a later date.

    Thank you so much,
    Alexander Bolton,
    TheSketchees

  6. #6

    Default

    All features other than design which was mentioned above have just been released in the update.

    Alexander Bolton

  7. #7
    Senior Member gethylogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cymru | Wales
    Posts
    396

    Default

    I'm really impressed with how quickly you got the app updated as I had it up and running last night. I've attached another screenshot in case anyone wants to see the difference while I can give it a proper trial on Friday.

    App2.jpg

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gethylogic View Post
    I'm really impressed with how quickly you got the app updated as I had it up and running last night. I've attached another screenshot in case anyone wants to see the difference while I can give it a proper trial on Friday.

    App2.jpg
    Thanks, I like having everything working properly so the people who download the app don't feel conned.

  9. #9

    Default Important update

    I have just decided to change my app to free with a donation option. The apps are the same (full version) but one you may donate too. Thats good news for the people who don't want to pay.

    There where a few bug fixes as always aswell XD.

    It will take a few hours to roll out because Google propagation.

    Enjoy,
    Alexander Bolton

  10. #10

    Default

    I just installed the new version on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and when I press the Mode button I get taken to a blank screen. Also
    the scires button doesnt seem to do anything.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherwms View Post
    I just installed the new version on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and when I press the Mode button I get taken to a blank screen. Also
    the scires button doesnt seem to do anything.
    I'll look at that ASAP.

    Thanks for telling me,
    Alexander Bolton

  12. #12

    Default

    A fix to that problem has been released. It will update in a few hours.
    I apologise for any inconvenience. It was due to me annotating my code i accidentally put a piece of code as an annotation.

    Sorry about that,
    Alexander Bolton

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherwms View Post
    ... FencingRef for the iphone...
    This is why I've never tried it.

    And for various reasons never will.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.


    It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

  14. #14

    Default

    thanks for the quick fix.

    a couple of other comments.

    Will there be a priority button?
    Is there going to be two medical timer buttons or just the one?

    Will you implement a save and email feature?

    Thanks,

    Chris

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christopherwms View Post
    thanks for the quick fix.

    a couple of other comments.

    Will there be a priority button?
    Is there going to be two medical timer buttons or just the one?

    Will you implement a save and email feature?

    Thanks,

    Chris
    I will put this on the list of features to add. Thanks for your suggestions. The priority is a must and i will impliment a save and email feature.

    Thanks,
    Alex

  16. #16
    Senior Member gethylogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Cymru | Wales
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Used it on Tuesday and it worked brilliantly, even when we did a DE to ten. I like the button that reverses the scores and while it's a little thing I really like that you can rename the fencers instead of having Red and Green. That said can you get the double hit button to stop the time as well, it'll just make it feel like a more consistent experience.

  17. #17

    Default Update Coming Soon

    I have been working on a major bugs fix update and i have cleaned up the UI A LOT. It now looks a lot nicer and modern (Material Design for Lollipop). I will be releasing this later today hopefully. If you aren't lucky enough to be on lollipop don't worry the app will still work and look similar but the top bar will be black not orange.

    Screenshot_2015-01-30-13-00-40.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TVfOnqR.png <--- Bigger Pic
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-13-00-45.jpg


    Tell me what you think

  18. #18

    Default App Crash?

    *disclaimer - downloaded today but don't have updated UI so this might no longer be occurring*

    Clicked Penelties from the main screen then hit the back button, got the splash screen rather than previous screen and the app never went back to the main screen.
    Also ocurring from "mode".

    Also, why does it vibrate when the app loads?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wholovesorangesoda View Post
    *disclaimer - downloaded today but don't have updated UI so this might no longer be occurring*

    Clicked Penalties from the main screen then hit the back button, got the splash screen rather than previous screen and the app never went back to the main screen.
    Also occurring from "mode".

    Also, why does it vibrate when the app loads?
    I apologise for this. Unfortunately I cannot make back undo the last action because i use panels instead of tabs. I tried using tabs but the language i make this in doesn't like playing ball with them. I am working on fixing this today actually. To go back to score you must click score at the top.

    The update isn't released yet either it will be out in a few hours.

    Thanks
    Alex

  20. #20

    Default Update Released

    I have now released the update. If you are on Lollipop it will look exactly like it does in the pics. I have tried to get it as close as i can to the same for lower versions of android.

    Bug Fixes:
    Lock button fixes
    Back button fixed (Now goes to Scoreboard)
    Break the time button goes back to "Start"

    Other Stuff:
    A cleaner more modern layout (For Lollipop using Material Design which was requested a month ago)
    A similar layout to the above (For previous versions before Lollipop)
    Got rid of the top buttons and put them into the overflow menu (Top right)
    Added Card to show the fencers (As requested)

    Update should become available in a few hours (Waiting on Google Play)

    Before Update:
    http://i.imgur.com/KSAYezm.png

    After Update (Android Lollipop 5.0+):
    http://i.imgur.com/OsxAirz.png

    If there is no menu in top right click your bottom left button on your phone and the same menu should appear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •