Thread: workout

Forum Rabbit

Default workout

Hello everyone

I'm fairly new to fencing and have only been doing it for some weeks but my question is about workout and training. I know that in the off season it would be good to keep fit and in good condition for when the season starts again. i'm quite a young fencer and i would like to build myself up eg bigger muscles chest, arms, core, legs ect and i would like to have any recommendations for a good workout to help do this and also workouts for stamina, And any fitness that would help in foil.

I read an artcle and it suggested military presses and bar squats I will link the article below

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...e-for-fencing/

thanks for your time,

Matt

This is actually a fairly controversial topic. Mainly because everyone can have an opinion on the topic and not be particularly wrong. Fencing is an explosive, short burst high intensity, endurance event, requiring a mix of power, explosiveness and endurance. What I have always recommended to my fencers is plyometrics as a starting point. It gives you the springiness and helps to build cardiovascular endurance as well if you carry out extended plyo workouts. I also recommend things like yoga or pilates, these strengthen your core and help with flexibility which is also important for a fencer, but it's not enough to just be flexible and bouncy, which is where I recommend doing a programme like starting strength by Marc Rippettoe, this builds strength and power. If you do one of these things on their own you will be physically better equipped to fence. If you find a way to balance these in combination you will benefit massively. As a side note, there is a tendency for fencers to become lopsided in their muscle development. As S&C Coach James Marshall says "Fencers walk funny". The cool down at the end of a session of fencing should be focused on getting your body back into equilibrium and should happen every time you fence. This is why barbell training becomes important, your strong side will be maintained in the movement because the heaviest load you will be able to move will be at the capacity of your weaker side which will then develop to match. There is a plyometric fencing programme that does the rounds on youtube from time to time called la Ginnastica per de scherma. Build up to it slowly and listen to your body, especially your hips and knees.
    Jason Nesmith : You WILL go out there.
    Alexander Dane : I won't and nothing you say will make me.
    Jason Nesmith : The show must go on.
    Alexander Dane : ...Damn you.

Next Competition:t.b.d.