Thread: European Veteran's Team Championships - Medway 5th - 8th May

Default European Veteran's Team Championships - Medway 5th - 8th May

Just to remind everyone that we are hosting this event in Medway, Kent, starting today.

Website - www.et16.eu/

Not sure whether there are live results, but not currently on website..
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Hope it all goes well and we win some medals too.

What a terrific experience and it was a wonderful opportunity for the younger fencers from our Club to go along, cheer and support the GBR Team. Some great fencing and good luck for the rest of the event.

Looks like our teams are having a bit of a tough time.

Looking forward to see how our Over 60's MF's do.
    JohnL

Gold for Ladies Sabre team!!!! Well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fencingmaster View Post
    Gold for Ladies Sabre team!!!! Well done!!!
    They were fencing so nicely in the Semi final.

Men's Epee beat the Suisse 6-3 in first poule match, lost to Italy 8-1 in 2nd poule match and were seeded 10th. Lost to Estonia in the L16, beat Poland in fight offs to make it into 9-12 fight offs, not sure what has happened since as I deserted the team.

And I broke on my first fight against Italy, sorry guys..

Excellent news. Very well done.

QUOTE=fencingmaster;312607]Gold for Ladies Sabre team!!!! Well done!!![/QUOTE]

Looks like the MF are into the final against the Italians.

Good luck guys!!!
    JohnL

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    They were fencing so nicely in the Semi final.

Men's Epee beat the Suisse 6-3 in first poule match, lost to Italy 8-1 in 2nd poule match and were seeded 10th. Lost to Estonia in the L16, beat Poland in fight offs to make it into 9-12 fight offs, not sure what has happened since as I deserted the team.

And I broke on my first fight against Italy, sorry guys..
    Hello Skipper!

Hope you're feeling better. Would you like the good news or the bad news first?

Looks like Grand Vets Men's Foil has also been won by GBR, well done..

Two Gold and a Silver from the GB Vets. Seems very good going to me.

Keith

Default Videos of ET16

Videos of the finals and medals ceremonies can be found here

http://www.veterans-fencing.co.uk/ET16_videos/

Courtesy of Chris Green

as one of Maggies Minons.. can I say what a brilliant few days.. I saw some incredible fencing.. and I'm really glad to be back at work for a rest!

For me that was a great competition: congratulations to our medallists, there was some real class out there on the piste. For those whodidn't make the it to the semis, you did us all proud with your spirit and determination.

We couldn't have done it without the volunteers, you guys were brilliant.

Finally, commiserations to those who broke themselves trying, best wishes and a speedy recovers.

Thanks to everyone involved
    Only anarchists are trustworthy

For me it was a great experience, the venue was great and organisation was superb. Thank you to all involved on that front!

One thing I had underestimated was the standard of the Men's Epee. Being a late starter (late 20's) and so not having had the benefit of international experience before, this was a real eye opener! It's one thing watching my daughter in cadet internationals but it's not until I fenced the likes of the Italians Estonians and Hungarians myself did I get to really appreciate it. I think from what I've learnt from that one experience alone will make quite an improvement to my own fencing and that of my daughters whom I coach if I can figure out how to teach it correctly.

When I tried to quantify the standard as the equivalent of a last 16 at a big UK open a French fencing friend said:

"Level of the guys is far higher than last 16 of a big UK. For example Monpays in the French team was 25 in French ranking last year. And this is something....
    And Goetz is worth the top UK spot.with these 2 guys and Cony who won everything at 56y old ,the French did just 3rd. The level was far far higher than an elite UK comp ..."

One thing I had underestimated was the standard of the Men's Epee. Being a late starter (late 20's) and so not having had the benefit of international experience before, this was a real eye opener!
    I think this is an important point to realise - and also my own real eye opener when i first got FIE experience.

I started competing at satellites 3 years ago and learnt so many valuable lessons. The quality IS just higher, and there's so much to be learnt that you can't get from a video. For starters they make everything look so easy and really conserve their actions (in foil) so that every action has purpose and conviction. I think international (or top level if it's in your country) exposure counts for so much...which is why I believe that, even if you get trounced with 5-0s and 5-1s, going to any even will improve your fencing. I've never been to a world cup, but i can only imagine what fencing these guys (and better ones) on a regular basis would do for my game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHeaps View Post
    For me it was a great experience, the venue was great and organisation was superb. Thank you to all involved on that front!

One thing I had underestimated was the standard of the Men's Epee. Being a late starter (late 20's) and so not having had the benefit of international experience before, this was a real eye opener! It's one thing watching my daughter in cadet internationals but it's not until I fenced the likes of the Italians Estonians and Hungarians myself did I get to really appreciate it. I think from what I've learnt from that one experience alone will make quite an improvement to my own fencing and that of my daughters whom I coach if I can figure out how to teach it correctly.

When I tried to quantify the standard as the equivalent of a last 16 at a big UK open a French fencing friend said:

"Level of the guys is far higher than last 16 of a big UK. For example Monpays in the French team was 25 in French ranking last year. And this is something....
    And Goetz is worth the top UK spot.with these 2 guys and Cony who won everything at 56y old ,the French did just 3rd. The level was far far higher than an elite UK comp ..."
    Not just the foreigners. The first time I went to the Worlds I made 7th seed after the poules only to meet one G Paul in the L32. Needless to say, it ended badly for me (by one hit).
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHeaps View Post
    One thing I had underestimated was the standard of the Men's Epee.
    There were certainly no easy fights, even against the Suisse who were arguably one of the weaker teams who we had first and beat 6-3, I was just really hacked off that my back went against the Italians (when leading my first fight there) so I could not see how I would personally do against other teams.

I suspect quite a few of the foreign vets would have the ability to be at top 16 level or above at UK events (depending if general open or a top NIF one), however I do think our really top fencers who use their brains as well as their speed would be able to deal with them fairly well. I suspect many of our top Under 20s and Cadets would have fallen into carefully laid traps for them however.

Though good, I certainly do not see any of the teams being unbeatable if you were to have the strongest GB team possible, however some over 40s are not yet doing vets (such as Greg Allen) and my conqueror at the Vets, Richard Phelps was injured, so all things considered it was a pretty good performance.

It was a really enthusiastic team we had along and everyone showed the ability to win matches at this level, even those with hardly any international experience like Chris which was great to see..

I am really looking forward to future Vet international events and this, my first representing GBR at a Vet was really good (apart from breaking)..