Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: foil priority

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Speakman View Post
    I will be heading to Italy next week. Can anyone recommend some good Italian wines? I see most of the ones mentioned are French and I feel like it would be some form of base treachery to be enjoying those whilst in Italia...
    Don't worry, Adrian. I've got loads of wine on the list to try whilst we are in Italy.😉

At last - the forum at its best.
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.

Good evening,
    I forgot to add ( as hazel, bf , EF can attest ) we have always offered to pay a reffing sub for tournaments - it's very rarely asked for or mandated but for last 15 yrs I've taken trouble to contact organisers and offer ( which is rarely declined ) - as I know how important it is for the organisers to cover their overheads and in turn support refs.

Many times there have been instances of refs getting it totally wrong ( and in all cases bar this one ) we've followed protocol by having quiet chat with the organisers / particular refs' 'line manager'.

I accept that I shouldnt have breached this protocol and discussed things ion public .
    Apologies Alex.

regards
    Mark

Ty
    M

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesdor View Post
    Thanks to you Mike Sellig.

I am not a very confident ref. and when I see a post like Plenty's, it makes me doubt my understanding of what Foil fencing is about. If an attacker is pressing and makes an attack on the blade, or attempts an engagement, and misses; the skill of the defending fencer, in causing the miss, should be rewarded with priority and the chance to attack. That seems really fair and sensible to me. Also, a well experienced and recognised referee told me so.

But even that kind of statement is also unhelpful when trying to establish in your own mind how to interpret the rules in relation to who did what.
    THIS

( I wait for the 'refs' to advise you Jacquesdor )

Initiate

Default When it comes to the subject of Fencing...

Iím mostly always wrong.
    THANK YOU.
    To all referees, be them amateur or professional. At a recent competition a fellow parent said, why do we have to wait so long. Itís not like they donít have computers to keep things running. The referees do have to eat!
    A continual conveyer belt of 2-300 fencers with their parents in tow... All that for whatever wage they get isnít my idea of fun, especially having to explain calls or be disrespected but still. At every competition I see the same people giving to this sport.
    The first time my son complained about a referee call on one of his fights. I took that opportunity to make it blatantly clear to him the reality of the situation.
    1) you absolutely need a referee. Without one, would your match have any validation. No! They are human. Yes they make mistakes but so does every single human being including you and I.
    2) the referees decision is final. RESPECT IT... always!
    Chris Howser and Jon Willis I thank you both for your daily input and dedication to educate and promote the sport that you both love.
    But the biggest Thanks has to go out to the coaches who wait out in cold sports halls or travel around schools with the sole intention to spread the interest and love of fencing!
    An ask is always replied to where as a demand is more commonly ignored.

Dear Fran , Alex and Jon,

Hello ,
    Having now discussed with various people senior to me I apologise. Fran you are correct and I am wrong ( it appears d.t did suffer a gaggle of fencers crowding in , further, only one poule sheet was generated / printed before the Poules and then came back to you ). In fin fencers error for signing this. No blame at all can be attributed to d.t who did sterling job as ever.

In future I will raise any concerns via proper channels and follow protocols. Notwithstanding that Alex made some errors , and I stand by my fencers statement that they were assured result would be corrected before sent up to d.t... Again fencers error in signing..... I do accept that refs are only human.

I have also been advised that it is also not a good idea to enter into explanations of priority and the conventions of priority on the forum - as this just serves to fuel confusion. There is unwritten code among senior refs community that this is something best taught in 'live' situations. This probably explains why none of refs really enter into detailed debate on forum -

Thankyou,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by plenty View Post
    Dear Fran , Alex and Jon,

Hello ,
    Having now discussed with various people senior to me I apologise. Fran you are correct and I am wrong ( it appears d.t did suffer a gaggle of fencers crowding in , further, only one poule sheet was generated / printed before the Poules and then came back to you ). In fin fencers error for signing this. No blame at all can be attributed to d.t who did sterling job as ever.

In future I will raise any concerns via proper channels and follow protocols. Notwithstanding that Alex made some errors , and I stand by my fencers statement that they were assured result would be corrected before sent up to d.t... Again fencers error in signing..... I do accept that refs are only human.

I have also been advised that it is also not a good idea to enter into explanations of priority and the conventions of priority on the forum - as this just serves to fuel confusion. There is unwritten code among senior refs community that this is something best taught in 'live' situations. This probably explains why none of refs really enter into detailed debate on forum -

Thankyou,
    Mark
    I am REALLY interested to know who spoke to you and what they threatened you with to make you change your tune so abruptly. Please pray tell.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    I am REALLY interested to know who spoke to you and what they threatened you with to make you change your tune so abruptly. Please pray tell.
    Thatís so constructive!!!!
    What an idiot you are.

This post shows the forum at its worst.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Thatís so constructive!!!!
    What an idiot you are.

This post shows the forum at its worst.
    Are you telling me you aren't even slightly curious as to the reasoning behind the turnaround from an unchecked diatribe of vitriol, accusation and aggression to the consumption of the humblest of humble pies? I for one hypothesise that something quite interesting has gone on behind the scenes and I think it would be interesting to know what that is. I know I'm never going to know but I still thought it would be fun to say what everyone is thinking.

There is a reason this thread has cultivated such following, it's because people love a bit of drama and they love to argue with each other. That's what a forum is, that's what a forum always will be.

IMO people need to take themselves a little less seriously on here.

Live and let live and if you want to have a constructive debate fuelled by fact and the desire for the betterment of the sport then comment on another post because, as you can see, this already devolved into mud slinging a long time ago.

You have also fallen into the unfortunate trap of firing off an nonconstructive insult whilst telling someone to be more constructive.

UPDATE: Someone has been kind enough to fill me in on the details. This was fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    Are you telling me you aren't even slightly curious as to the reasoning behind the turnaround from an unchecked diatribe of vitriol, accusation and aggression to the consumption of the humblest of humble pies? I for one hypothesise that something quite interesting has gone on behind the scenes and I think it would be interesting to know what that is. I know I'm never going to know but I still thought it would be fun to say what everyone is thinking.

There is a reason this thread has cultivated such following, it's because people love a bit of drama and they love to argue with each other. That's what a forum is, that's what a forum always will be.

IMO people need to take themselves a little less seriously on here.

Live and let live and if you want to have a constructive debate fuelled by fact and the desire for the betterment of the sport then comment on another post because, as you can see, this already devolved into mud slinging a long time ago.

You have also fallen into the unfortunate trap of firing off an nonconstructive insult whilst telling someone to be more constructive.

UPDATE: Someone has been kind enough to fill me in on the details. This was fun for me.

Share it with me? Please? I've been ever so good lately...

Look

I am drawing a line under it.

The irregularities and errors remain on the part of the ref. I didn't have full possession of the facts and I have now followed appropriate channels.

It's for the good of the sport as a whole, which is the overriding factor.
    Should there be any outcomes to report, I will do so here.
    Kind regards
    Mark

Initiate

Default Please...

Can we let this go and fall by the wayside.
    When I first discovered FencingForum I was really overjoyed at the friendly banter, advice and the general swapping of opinions.

Yes, there are some rants and frustrations which inevitably make it onto the forum and that is educational But in all honesty. This last topic thread has left a god awful taste in many mouths and more importantly is this the kind of tone that we want associated with us.