Details are here:
    http://britishfencing.com/uploads/fi...tion_2017_.pdf

Entry is here:
    https://bf.sport80.com/

News Article is here
    http://britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=1673

Notable:
    Same price, format, venue as before.
    New - Everyone who wants to represent GBR this season has to enter - INCLUDING satellites.
    This should hopefully improve the numbers a bit, considering low entries last year and the unpopular 2-day format.

Lots of discussion about last year here:
    http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/sh...-Championships
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Details are here:

New - Everyone who wants to represent GBR this season has to enter - INCLUDING satellites.
    This should hopefully improve the numbers a bit, considering low entries last year and the unpopular 2-day format.

Lots of discussion about last year here:
    http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/sh...-Championships

It is a fact that BF have once again held it on the weekend following the end of the school Easter holidays at the start of the serious run up to A-Levels & GCSEs.

Doubtless they want the young Juniors and older Cadets to attend but seem disinclined to take their lives and obligations into account.

They have then asked people to make TWO days available which will involve parents and kids staying over, why cannot each weapon be concluded on a single day?

They could not have made it more unattractive to young fencers who have to take exams if they had tried.

You would have thought after last year the message was clear but evidently not.
    just a daddy...and chauffeur

Everyone who wants to represent at SENIOR level so not affecting cadets and juniors. In light of CFs comments I thought that needed to be highlighted.

In respect of securing the highest possible Nif I suspect that this isn't particularly aimed at the younger age groups unless specific fencers are already regularly competing on the Senior Circuit, again picking up from CFs post. Not the greatest weekend perhaps, but might be during University Easter holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Not the greatest weekend perhaps, but might be during University Easter holidays.
    For Warwick it's a nice end to the holidays, but I think other Unis go back the week before this, maybe making it a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Everyone who wants to represent at SENIOR level so not affecting cadets and juniors. In light of CFs comments I thought that needed to be highlighted.
    Some cadets and juniors do satellites - especially the domestically located ones such as the Leon Paul Cup.

Also the format isn't the same as last year. There's no plate competition, as the EFC U14 sabre and epee competitions are being held on the Sunday - presumably in the second hall. I expect this is with a view to recouping costs/saving money, which is fair enough - though a small reduction in the Senior Championships fee to reflect the change in format, especially for those who have no option but to stay over, might have been a nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by SMJ View Post
    Some cadets and juniors do satellites - especially the domestically located ones such as the Leon Paul Cup.

Also the format isn't the same as last year. There's no plate competition, as the EFC U14 sabre and epee competitions are being held on the Sunday - presumably in the second hall. I expect this is with a view to recouping costs/saving money, which is fair enough - though a small reduction in the Senior Championships fee to reflect the change in format, especially for those who have no option but to stay over, might have been a nice gesture.
    The EFC U14, The Valerie Degorce Youth Tournament, was sponsored last year with the initial idea that any entrance fees would go towards promoting/supporting youth fencing in GB somehow. This may happen again and if it does then the "offsetting" from that competition would probably be marginal as a consequence.

Last year there were a number of people (including those who really should know better) suggesting that the higher age Cadets & all Juniors had some kind of moral obligation to ignore their responsibilities in regard to life shaping exams and allocate this "school/revision" (it is not in the holidays) weekend towards the Senior championships. Clearly this is a doubtful thought process, on par with placing the first Cadet or Junior BRC on the weekend following the last week of GCSEs and A-Levels, and those in charge should perhaps consider this when creating the format if they want the youngsters to turn up en mass.

Of course if the young fencers did not turn up it might be a much faster tournament simply for reasons of entry size, it has probably been true for sometime now that the bulk of entry fees for competitions come from the 15-23 age groups.

The sabre nationals always used to be that time of year and was not an issue.

One can plan revision to fit around a particular weekend, bring necessary books and revise in the evenings too. Podcasts are a thing nowadays - listen to something relevant on the journey, job done! Cynically I guess the major issue was avoiding international competitions...
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno

Quote Originally Posted by randomsabreur View Post
    One can plan revision to fit around a particular weekend, bring necessary books and revise in the evenings too. Podcasts are a thing nowadays - listen to something relevant on the journey, job done! Cynically I guess the major issue was avoiding international competitions...
    Can one? It has clearly been a while since you planned revision for any serious school based exams, I would venture to suggest that your plan is a tad inadequate and I will avoid repeating my usual rant on the placing of late Spring/early Summer tournaments without due consideration being given. I have given it for many years and will continue to do so until those who plan these things and are meant to consider the academic balance with the sporting careers of young fencers actually do so.

However to be helpful - I understand that the reason for the placing of the Seniors in this particular month may have been the result of a directive from the great Gods of the FIE or EFC who wanted every country to hold their National Championships at the same time.

Could have been worse, all age groups might have been held in April which would have led to the Cadets and Juniors having 3 different National Champions in each weapon within the space of only 14 months......17 months is quite strange enough.

I will start by saying this is my own opinion and an honest one having been in the sport for more than 10 years.

Busy trying to get daughter back into fencing after a break. This is not at all helpful. It is actually less expensive to enter Satellites than it is to go to the National Champs, but of course without the first the 2nd is now not an option, really !! How do FIE feel about this? Sure they cannot afford to reduce numbers even further, certainly in some smaller satellites.

Not sure daughter is buying it so GBR will lose yet another decent epeeist. Perhaps someone should take a look at the activity of the top 20 WE fencers (can't speak for other genders/weapons) and see how many, in reality will actual take this blackmail type approach seriously. They just won't do them.

Last year was a complete and utter farce. She did make it to day 2, did ok as it happens but still a very expensive trip, the NGB frankly need to take a very serious look at what they are actually doing to grass roots/competitive fencing in this country.

Head above pulpit again and I expect a backlash of the faithful but numbers and facts will, as I predicted 3 years ago, speak for themselves if produced honestly.

Nationals is one weekend so no more than 16 hours of quality revision time will be missed. But both days will be short - so post event revision should be possible - call it 12 hours down. There should be enough time to balance this across the revision period.

Senior Nationals probably not that well timed vs cadet/junior worlds and periodisation - but the requirement isn't to win, just to be there

Admittedly my most recent exams were 12 years ago (when did I get so old?) when I got a distinction in exams that were the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after the Cole Cup, a competition that involved quite a long journey - probably by train.

The other question is when else can it be - crazy to clash with FIE events as then it wouldn't make sense it being compulsory so September - March is basically written off. Immediately post Easter would look least bad to me...
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno

[QUOTE=However to be helpful - I understand that the reason for the placing of the Seniors in this particular month may have been the result of a directive from the great Gods of the FIE or EFC who wanted every country to hold their National Championships at the same time.[/QUOTE]

The French hold all their Championships in May,(occasionally early June) and have done for over 20 years and it is not a 3 weapon event over one weekend - each weapon is in a different town each year, Saturday individual and Sunday teams. (For example this year it is Foil: Cadets 20/21 May in Henin Beaumont, Juniors 13/14 May in Strasbourg and Seniors 27/28 in Nantes; Epee Cadets 6/7 May in Maçon, Juniors 20/21 May in Valence and Seniors 3/4 June in Albi; Sabre Cadets 13/14 May in Dunkerque, Juniors 27/28 May Charleville and Seniors 6/7 May in Tarbes) So usually, wherever the event, you have to have at least one overnight stay as the event starts each day at 8am! All are based on qualification, it is not an Open event and the entry is free.

There is so much fuss for the British Championships being in Sheffield - "too far North", or London "too many competitions in the South", for many people it is a one day trip!

And yes, the French youngsters have their exams in either May or June and no parent ever complains about the timing!

Oh for GOD'S SAKE!

THIS AGAIN!

fyi. Caps are deliberate.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Let the whining begin!!!!
    JohnL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Let the winning begin!!!!
    FTFY

It's not really a whining situation.
    This is not a popular format and not a very popular venue, even for those of us in the south.

Insisting on attendance if you want to do a satellite is going to annoy people, but at least we should see all the big guns turn out.

Yup it's the same old gripes again concerning the Championships.

I agree with the majority here that revision shouldn't be a serious issue over one weekend where there is plenty of time to fit exercises into the programme.

Again we have the 'North/South' question, I still personally think the Championships should not belong to BF alone and should be run by the HCNGB's, having an English North & South, Northern Irish, Scottish, and Welsh held event in each cycle. Venues etc must be approved to maintain a professional product.

If it has to be run by BF, then at least they've at last taken an affirmative stance on participation & representation for GB, which I for one think is well over due.
    Will this annoy some - perhaps. I also agree that our NGB isn't the best, but athletes too just can't take take take without giving back to the sport.

Hopefully we'll see an improvement in numbers in what's supposed to be our best domestic showcase event.
    If the participate to represent trick hasn't worked then BF will have to ask its self some serious questions, this event has been in free fall for years.
    Again apologies for my lack of info in other weapons, but last Seasons WF Birmingham was still holding its own along with this seasons Essex, and a great strive forward for the Scottish WF Open this year to make it into the 'Big 4' domestically. So there is scope out there for growth.

Anyway an early Good Luck to anyone competing.

South East England (Greater London really)

Default All Change

I understand BF is advising those who have already entered that Men's Foil, Men's Sabre and Women's Epee will now take place "start to finish" on the Saturday with Women's Sabre taking place in the same fashion on Sunday.

Only Men's Epee and Women's Foil will be "overnighters" with L16 to Finals taking place on Sunday.

Apparently this has been prompted by a dramatic rise in the cost of local overnight accommodation.
    Last edited by The Driver; -2nd February 2017 at 09:03. Reason: Slight change of wording
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Sounds like good news to me.
    Saves money for many of those travelling and reduces the need for an extra night that may not be needed for 4 of the 6 weapons.

But WF is usually the smallest entry, 2016 = 26, 2015 = 16 entries.
    They might end up just doing poules on the Saturday, let's hope they get a good turnout.

I wonder why they didn't just do 3 weapons on each day all the way through? Presumably piste numbers don't work out?

Sounds like good news to me.
    I agree and means that those with the earlier starts on Saturday, who would probably have needed 2 overnight stays otherwise will now only need the single night.

This should also allow those with the afternoon starts on the Saturday to travel that morning and also only have the single overnight, if they qualify for the Sunday..

Seems fair to all involved, though I am sure someone will not be happy about it.

Well done to BF on what I see as a positive change..

I have to say that accommodation was still pretty cheap locally a few days ago, I got Sat night accommodation (6 miles from venue) for £39, so not bad really.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

On the north/south question - I thought a few years ago when it was first proposed to move the event down to SportsDock, that the idea was to rotate each year between Sheffield and London? I'm sure I read/heard that? I assume EIS is probably too expensive these days but surely moving the venue around a bit each year would be a good idea.