Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: British Championships 2017

Apart from the few exceptions the majority of events have seen numbers decline, hence why I mentioned one would have to go back to 2011 to see larger numbers in WF at the Birmingham.
    No an unwieldy oversized Nationals would not be the way forward, the comment I made was it was hardly a success story with the small increases witnessed this year. Especially in WF where even their modest quota of a 43 Cap was not even achieved.
    If you were to look at the entries the same top of the tree WF names are there who have attended this event year in year out, but the increase is from fencers who attend non-ranking U23 Adult competitions and the Satellite competitors.
    Surely the way forward for the Nationals is to hold an event that attracts numbers regardless, to actually have an event that our fencing community wants to compete in.
    Now to say an organisation is getting better at holding events when they've made the massive blunder of putting the Nationals on during the weekend of the London Marathon is amusing, that did cheer me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    Now to say an organisation is getting better at holding events when they've made the massive blunder of putting the Nationals on during the weekend of the London Marathon is amusing, that did cheer me up.
    It was the same last year as well. London Marathon is 3rd weekend in April so next year it's 22nd.

At least British Fencing has the excuse it is a different sport. British Athletics ran an endurance coaching course the marathon weekend once

Apart from the few exceptions the majority of events have seen numbers decline, hence why I mentioned one would have to go back to 2011 to see larger numbers in WF at the Birmingham.
    No an unwieldy oversized Nationals would not be the way forward, the comment I made was it was hardly a success story with the small increases witnessed this year. Especially in WF where even their modest quota of a 43 Cap was not even achieved.
    If you were to look at the entries the same top of the tree WF names are there who have attended this event year in year out, but the increase is from fencers who attend non-ranking U23 Adult competitions and the Satellite competitors.
    Surely the way forward for the Nationals is to hold an event that attracts numbers regardless, to actually have an event that our fencing community wants to compete in.
    How can you call the increases small?!?!? Yes they might have been starting from a low base but 60% increases in a couple of weapons and even a 31% increase in WF.......is not a 'small increase'.

The point is that this year, pretty much all the best fencers from all the weapons are competing together at the Nationals. That is the very point of a national championships.

The fact that Joe Bloggs ranked 308th isn't competing, isn't probably the biggest issue.

Forum Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Double Riposte View Post
    The fact that Joe Bloggs ranked 308th isn't competing, isn't probably the biggest issue.
    Yes but... oh. Ok then

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    yes but... Oh. Ok then

Haha! Well played sir.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Yes but... oh. Ok then
    Forget it Joe. If any of us top 300 boys see you sniffing around the Nationals we'll give you what for.

Lead Performance Coach at Nottingham University

I haven't checked, but I presume that at most weapons there will be a number of fencers in Birmingham who will not be eligible for the National Championships.
    British Fencing AASE Assessor
    British Fencing Coach Developer

Veteran Foil Champion of Szombathely 2015 and 2016!!

Whatever the reasons, it is good to see the GB championships being larger again and having all the top fencers there.

It is also good news for BFA as increased numbers mean that the event can be run at a profit and hopefully the surplus used to fund other activities, or at the very least no loss made on this event.

I am just surprised it is not simply three events per day or even 4 and 2, so that no event last over two days, thereby saving costs to fencers.

Forum Rabbit

Does anybody know if there are going to be any equipment stands at the British Champs - Leon Paul, AllStar?

Forum Rabbit

There is usually a Leon Paul stand

Lead Performance Coach at Nottingham University

Quote Originally Posted by EpeeElf View Post
    Does anybody know if there are going to be any equipment stands at the British Champs - Leon Paul, AllStar?
    With LP being the BF preferred supplier, there sill only be a Leon Paul Stand.
    British Fencing AASE Assessor
    British Fencing Coach Developer

Veteran Foil Champion of Szombathely 2015 and 2016!!

Forum Rabbit

I've had a look in the tournament info but can't find an answer to my question, what national ranking list do they use for this comp? Is it the most recent one (the one that is on the BF website now)? Or the first one that is published in a month?

Forum Rabbit

Default accommodation still available

Quote Originally Posted by gnicnef View Post
    Further info: hotel is a Travelodge Illford Gants hill. room is a double . Cost 110.
    Still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    I've had a look in the tournament info but can't find an answer to my question, what national ranking list do they use for this comp? Is it the most recent one (the one that is on the BF website now)? Or the first one that is published in a month?
    Gooders it will be the April Rankings they use at the Nationals.

Rankings are up - http://www.engarde-service.com/files...itishchamps17/

Forum Rabbit

Katrina Smith seeded 253? Shome mishtake, shurely?

Forum Rabbit

Thank you. My march results were missed off the original April one and Birmingham used that one so I missed out on 40 places. The link posted by dankew shows my actual place. SO I'm happy!

Default Live stream?

BF saying on Facebook that results will be live.
    Anybody have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetfoot View Post
    BF saying on Facebook that results will be live.
    Anybody have a link?
    ^^^^^ 4 posts above this one

Great to be able to see the results. The day is going very quickly with the WE, MS and MF almost over.