Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: British Championships 2017

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Sounds like good news to me.
    Saves money for many of those travelling and reduces the need for an extra night that may not be needed for 4 of the 6 weapons.

But WF is usually the smallest entry, 2016 = 26, 2015 = 16 entries.
    They might end up just doing poules on the Saturday, let's hope they get a good turnout.

I wonder why they didn't just do 3 weapons on each day all the way through? Presumably piste numbers don't work out?
    Think once check-in times were published changing them would cause more disruption. Current change works well as no one loses out and lots of gains for fencers in the 4 earlier start weapons.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    I have to say that accommodation was still pretty cheap locally a few days ago, I got Sat night accommodation (6 miles from venue) for 39, so not bad really.
    I think the London Marathon is on the Sunday so I wonder if demand for accommodation for that has been starting to impact on prices.

South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    I think the London Marathon is on the Sunday so I wonder if demand for accommodation for that has been starting to impact on prices.
    As long as it does not impact on the ability to reach Sportsdock
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    As long as it does not impact on the ability to reach Sportsdock
    Don't go via Woolwich!!

Route map and road closures here:
    http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws....re_Leaflet.pdf

Not sure if you'll be able to use the Blackwall tunnel to cross either, from looking at that. Could mean Dartford Crossing or the long way round

I'm confused. I thought the mandatory attendance was for seniors wanting to compete abroad. But the BF events calendar includes reference to juniors and cadets. Surely not?

Quote Originally Posted by coach carson View Post
    I'm confused. I thought the mandatory attendance was for seniors wanting to compete abroad. But the BF events calendar includes reference to juniors and cadets. Surely not?
    Bit confusing but it does say you have to fence in the British Championships for your specific category (so age group) presumably meaning Cadets in their championships etc, with this being for seniors. With numbers low last year that confusion might increase attendance, but might also reduce the Nif.

Forum Rabbit

Default Accommodation

If anyone is planning on going on the Sunday. I have a hotel room surplus to requirements thanks to BF change of format. If interested please contact me.

Forum Rabbit

Default Accommodation

Quote Originally Posted by gnicnef View Post
    If anyone is planning on going on the Sunday. I have a hotel room surplus to requirements thanks to BF change of format. If interested please contact me.
    Further info: hotel is a Travelodge Illford Gants hill. room is a double . Cost 110.

Reminder - closing date for the Nationals is today, enter via Sport80 as it's double entry fee from midnight.

So as of the closing date entry numbers are:
    MF - 88
    ME - 92
    MS - 43
    WF - 34
    WE - 63
    WS - 27

Compared to last year which was:
    MF 54
    ME 75
    MS 34
    WF 26
    WE 39
    WS 22

This is a significant improvement in all categories, changes to the 2-day format and presumably making it mandatory for internationals has definitely had an impact. Looking forward to a good event.

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    So as of the closing date entry numbers are:
    MF - 88
    ME - 92
    MS - 43
    WF - 34
    WE - 63
    WS - 27

Compared to last year which was:
    MF 54
    ME 75
    MS 34
    WF 26
    WE 39
    WS 22

This is a significant improvement in all categories, changes to the 2-day format and presumably making it mandatory for internationals has definitely had an impact. Looking forward to a good event.
    A slight increase for some weapons but still a far cry from a success story, the threat of non-compliance = non-representation especially at Satelittes seems in some cases to have given a minimum boost to numbers.

The two day format for 34 WF entries is quite simply a joke and a waste of athletes cash who are already feeling the pinch, it's not just the NGB who's had funding cuts. SportScotland and I presume the other support agencies have tightened their purse strings.

I think the Nationals entry numbers compared to the Birminghams the week before in some weapons is an eye opener, the Birmingham must be doing something right as they didn't need to use a stick to beat up their numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    A slight increase for some weapons
    Regardless of whether you like the format and regardless of comparisons to other events, this is unreasonably harsh.
    There's been a noticeable, decent upturn in numbers in every weapon. You can't dispute that.

MF - 88 +63%
    ME - 92 +23%
    MS - 43 +26%
    WF - 34 +31%
    WE - 63 +62%
    WS - 27 +23%

I will say I'm glad to be on one of the one-day weapons though.

An increase from 250 to 347 fencers , 97 fencers at 50 each, increasing income by 4,850.

I think the Nationals entry numbers compared to the Birminghams the week before in some weapons is an eye opener, the Birmingham must be doing something right as they didn't need to use a stick to beat up their numbers!
    When Birmingham is the benchmark of a good competition, we have serious issues

Quote Originally Posted by Double Riposte View Post
    Regardless of whether you like the format and regardless of comparisons to other events, this is unreasonably harsh.
    There's been a noticeable, decent upturn in numbers in every weapon. You can't dispute that.
    This isn't unreasonably harsh!
    Some of the increased participation numbers are just down to the stick effect, forget about WC's as this only effects the elite in each weapon. But there is lots of fencers who compete abroad in the EFC U23 Circuit Adult events as well as Satelittes. This will count towards your noticeable upturn.
    This isn't an increase in participating athletes supporting BF but athletes protecting their right to fence abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeares View Post
    When Birmingham is the benchmark of a good competition, we have serious issues
    The only issues we ever had with the Birmingham is with finishing times, but I never once said it was the peak of domestic competition. But they as a provider must be doing something right as the numbers don't lie and athletes aren't being forced to compete there.
    ME 92 at both events
    MF 120 at Birmingham 88 at the Championships
    MS 33 at Birmingham 43 at the Championships the only event that is higher
    WE 83 at Birmingham 63 at the Championships
    WS 34 at Birmingham 27 at the Championships
    WF 69 at Birmingham 34 at the Championships, and in WF you have to go back to 2011 to witness larger numbers at the Birmingham, so they're increasing numbers too.

But they as a provider must be doing something right as the numbers don't lie and athletes aren't being forced to compete there.
    Not charging 50 a pop probably helps. But should the Nationals necessarily have as high entries as opens? Genuine question

Those Birmingham numbers are actually very heavily down in some weapons compared to just a few years ago, so probably not the best example!! That's about a third of what they used to get for MS!

Regardless of the reasons why people have entered the nationals, it is an increase. All the top British fencers are participating across all weapons at 1 event. That's good. Maybe it did need to be forced. BF have got much better at running events the last year or two so hopefully numbers will co tinue to increase next year. The nationals weren't viable based on last years numbers so what choice did BF really have other than forcing people to compete?

And then as has been mentioned - do we really want the nationals to have giant fields of over 100 per event anyway? Probably not.