Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selection for Junior World Fencing Championships

Does anyone know the date(s) when the PD is leaving and when the rules she has put into place are no longer in force?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N-M View Post
    Wheather you love or hate the PD one thing that our CEO must do quickly is be clear what will happen and when to the PD job.
    I agree. There has been no clarity around the future of BFs infrastructure, beyond the crowd fund appeal.
    Maybe one of us should email the CEO and Chairman....and ask what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Does anyone know the date(s) when the PD is leaving and when the rules she has put into place are no longer in force?
    You think the plan will change when she does? Look at the crowdfunding plan.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by ED_R View Post
    You think the plan will change when she does? Look at the crowdfunding plan.
    Good point. I took a look.
    From the crowd funding appeal:

Why are we raising money?
    This funding appeal is specifically to maintain our performance programme for the rest of the season so that we can send a well prepared team to both the European and the World Championships.

All money raised will be used to support the senior athletes on our international performance programme both in training and competition. Funds will be used in two areas:

the continuation of our training programme which is designed to help our athletes maximise their potential and ultimately win medals at the European Championships in Tiblisi and the World Championships in Leipzig
    international travel and competition expenses including the European and World Championships
    In order to achieve our goals we will need to pay for a dedicated training facility, coaches, plus support staff (e.g. a strength and conditioning coach).

Two important words there: maintain and continue.

But at least we now have :

".......a recognised World Class Performance Programme supporting only those athletes with the ability and aspiration to be world class and medal winning"

(Taken from the PDs profile on the BF Executive page)

I don't dissagree with your view. I think those on the international circuit will keep their money to spend on themselves and not crowd funding. So the rest of us are being asked to pay for them and endorse the current philosophy. Most fencers it would seem do not support the MF or bust approach and if that is to be continued as seems to be being suggested by BF the outcome will be very little crowd funding. At the moment I understand almost half raised so far is from one generous individual.
    BF have to understand that the money is gone, its not coming back any time soon but fencers still need their governing body to allow them to aspire for cadet/junior and senior representation in all weapons.
    Fencers and fencing parents will vote with their feet and walk away from our sport. The sport so many of us spend hours of our time encouraging new participants to join through club programmes all over the UK.
    A reality check seems to be required but who is listening?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    But at least we now have :

".......a recognised World Class Performance Programme supporting only those athletes with the ability and aspiration to be world class and medal winning"

(Taken from the PDs profile on the BF Executive page)
    So what a surprise. The unpaid people around the PD agree with the plan. You know - the one which Sports UK wouldn't invest in.

So now we are being asked to help fund the pathway for foil and sabre. Did I miss the spending plan for the money coming from Sports England? I am guessing its "maintain and continue" - but happy to be proven wrong.

SportsUK expected to know how the money they put in was going to be spent. I would suggest (at the possible risk of being blackballed from British Fencing) that members thinking of investing, should expect the same.

The plan failed. Our fencers are held to a rigid results oriented discipline. Those in charge of British Fencing should be held to the same high ideal.

Alternatively the fencers can go to World Championships to learn. And British Fencing can remain and learn to govern the sport effectively.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N-M View Post
    A reality check seems to be required but who is listening?
    Pete has run the same info on Facebook, and Georgina has engaged and asked for concerns to be raised directly with her. Almost certainly too late for those fencers missing out this year though, which is still a real shame.

Pete has run the same info on Facebook, and Georgina has engaged and asked for concerns to be raised directly with her. Almost certainly too late for those fencers missing out this year though, which is still a real shame.
    Sorry. You think she was unaware?
    Edward Peck

Sorry. You think she was unaware?
    No. And it's still disappointing that nothing appears to have been done to allow our top ranked JME fencer to attend the Worlds, or to resolve the position of JME being the only weapon without a Team attending.

One has to wonder about the terms and conditions of the appointment of the PD, and any link to funding streams, because no one seems able to challenge rather odd decisions being made .....

No. And it's still disappointing that nothing appears to have been done to allow our top ranked JME fencer to attend the Worlds, or to resolve the position of JME being the only weapon without a Team attending.

One has to wonder about the terms and conditions of the appointment of the PD, and any link to funding streams, because no one seems able to challenge rather odd decisions being made .....
    You think they wanted to question the odd decisions? They are continuing, and the PD is going.

Who can be sure what the plan is. If it is different, let the people who are in charge speak up. But if they dont, assume its maintain and continue.
    Edward Peck

You think they wanted to question the odd decisions? They are continuing, and the PD is going.

Who can be sure what the plan is. If it is different, let the people who are in charge speak up. But if they dont, assume its maintain and continue.
    Is the PD going? Or do we just assume she is because of funding changes? After six years we will need a good redundancy pot. So maybe she is the one to stay???

Do have the link for that Nick?

"I've replied to Pete on his various points and if anyone wishes to write to me at BF I'll happily go through it all with them too. Suffice to say that this isn't a 100% accurate post and in some cases misleading. I guess it's a lot more fun to have a go at individuals on Facebook than it is to seek the truth which is often a lot more boring. Anyway at the end of the day if you don't trust the crowd funding campaign I do hope that you reach out and fund an athlete directly!"

Materially correct, I suspect.
    Edward Peck

"I've replied to Pete on his various points and if anyone wishes to write to me at BF I'll happily go through it all with them too. Suffice to say that this isn't a 100% accurate post and in some cases misleading. I guess it's a lot more fun to have a go at individuals on Facebook than it is to seek the truth which is often a lot more boring. Anyway at the end of the day if you don't trust the crowd funding campaign I do hope that you reach out and fund an athlete directly!"

Materially correct, I suspect.

No mention of what the"truth" actually is though.

Quote Originally Posted by pavski View Post
    No mention of what the"truth" actually is though.
    Which is why I wont be investing in the crowdfunding. This time round the tune will stop when people stop putting money in the machine. I actually see this as supporting the sport for the long term.

Sorry.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    My understanding is that PD leaves at end of season post European and World Championships. Most probably July.

As I wrote earlier the BFA will make decisions for NEXT SEASON, which are more equitable and based on merit
    rather than the current format, which is results driven and discretionary. I don't think that is a secret.

For a start I think that most people in the sport understand that Epee has had a fairly raw deal in the past which
    has had a fairly damaging impact on weapon. I am fairly sure that will be reversed and there will be a level playing
    field from September.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Velden View Post
    I don't think that is a secret.
    It is not in the public domain.

It was only twelve months ago that we waited for the privately briefed senior epee squad to be announced officially. It turned out instead that those on the pathway were dropped without even the courtesy of a note to let them know.

"That most people in the sport realise that epee has had a raw deal in the past" and "fairly sure that will be reversed" (my emphasis) are no reassurances for future good behaviour.

Similarly the decisions (presumably) "had a fairly damaging effect on the weapon" doesn't leave me with much hope either.
    Edward Peck

It is not in the public domain.

It was only twelve months ago that we waited for the privately briefed senior epee squad to be announced officially. It turned out instead that those on the pathway were dropped without even the courtesy of a note to let them know.

"That most people in the sport realise that epee has had a raw deal in the past" and "fairly sure that will be reversed" (my emphasis) are no reassurances for future good behaviour.

Similarly the decisions (presumably) "had a fairly damaging effect on the weapon" doesn't leave me with much hope either.
    The dynamics of the sport have changed since UK Sport made the decision to withdraw funding. That means that
    the sport is going to revert back to a "volunteer" system. If athletes are no longer full-time professionals you cannot wave a stick to control how they train or compete.

I am confident that more realistic targets will be imposed on selection process and qualification for European
    and World Championships. That will mean that the discretion process will go out of the window.

However, competing for International Events will be driven by an ability to pay for them. I suspect that the BFA
    will probably only raise sufficient funds to cover Team Selections to European and World Championships. If you
    want to go to Grand Prix, World Cups or Satellites the cost will have to be met by the athletes finding resources
    to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Velden View Post
    The dynamics of the sport have changed since UK Sport made the decision to withdraw funding. That means that
    the sport is going to revert back to a "volunteer" system. If athletes are no longer full-time professionals you cannot wave a stick to control how they train or compete.
    You'd have thought so. But then you get declarations like this - you can go self funded, but you also have to pay for a coach. Why would you want to pay for someone else's coach?

http://britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=1695