Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham International Open 2017

Default Birmingham International Open 2017

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread, could not fin another one.

Have seen results on http://www.warwickshirefencing.org.u...2017/index.htm, but it seems to have got stuck part way through the Epee.

Any news on final results?
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

The Fencing Time link seems to have dropped from the main website, so it might be assumed they aren't going to update it again.

The results from yesterday went up quickly so we might just have to wait till later. Pity because the FT link added something.

Today's results listed on main site, just waiting for WE by the looks of it.

http://www.birminghaminternationalfe...esults&fencer=

Wow, well done to Will Grealey, winning the Men's Epee.

Awe inspiring performance considering what he has gone through in the last year or so..

Huge respect

Absolutely amazes me that of all the big old 6W opens, this is the one that somehow survives whilst much better events have disappeared.

I'm very happy that I am not a female epeeist today......

And Caitlin Chang wins the Women's event..

Well done..

Quote Originally Posted by Double Riposte View Post
    Absolutely amazes me that of all the big old 6W opens, this is the one that somehow survives whilst much better events have disappeared.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Double Riposte View Post

Were there really five redraws and a two hour delay to starting from close of WE check in?

If right that does nothing to promote the continuation of larger six weapon events.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Were there really five redraws and a two hour delay to starting from close of WE check in?

If right that does nothing to promote the continuation of larger six weapon events.
    It's not like this is even the first time something like that has happened. It's such a poor event, and it has been poor for years. This weekend was the first time I've attended since I had a terrible experience in around 2012 but I shall be staying away again in the future. I'm not a female epeeist but the general organisation and atmosphere of the event for all weapons is so below standard.

It was definitely the worst event I've been to for some years.

And to think that when we were looking for a single weekend to move the BYCs to, we avoided Easter because of Birmingham.
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.

Funny story...

One of the refs in the WE when testing with the gauge put it at the point where the barrel meets the blade. Yes, you still have a barrel attached to your blade. Pass.

But to be fair it was all hands on deck to get things moving so well done to that person for having a go!

Anyhow, as I was driving in to the comp I saw the shiny new, almost built sports complex which looks fantastic so things should be looking up for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHeaps View Post
    Anyhow, as I was driving in to the comp I saw the shiny new, almost built sports complex which looks fantastic so things should be looking up for next year!
    Pretty buildings make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    Pretty buildings make all the difference.
    Hopefully set in lovely grounds with a nice cafe to enjoy whilst you wait, maybe .....

What I'd like to know is why 6W opens still think they have to start ME at 9am or earlier on a Sunday. The Welsh had a late start this year and the Warwick Open ran it at 11am. Both ran well and were well attended (relatively speaking). The Elite Epee is a single event but part of its success is down to the late start.

I had a rotten day at Birmingham and part of the blame lies with the long, bleary-eyed early morning drive. The world is changing - people aren't willing to pay for hotels any more and comps need to change to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Hopefully set in lovely grounds with a nice cafe to enjoy whilst you wait, maybe .....

Ha Ha Nick and Chris you old cynics!

Part of the problem with the current set up is the varied pistes dotted around all over the place which leads to mucho confusion for everyone. One big hall has got to be easier to manage.

I'm sticking up for it as it's one of the few big comps I can drive to on the day. A later start would be nice though.

South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHeaps View Post

Who cares? We gave up around 2012 too when the organisers clearly suggested to us that they were more important to the competition than the competitors. Do they ever visit other competitions so as to know what efficiency actually means?
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

I attended the MS. A late start but a two and a half hour delay to the start of the competition.

Delays happen and we all understand that but the real salt in the wound was the rudeness. They didn't even bother informing us of the delay until everyone had warmed up and were ready to fence. Further to this when the poules were finally allocated they had to be redrawn twice.

The final injustice was as the pistes were being handed out to the refs I overheard the organiser telling the refs that if anyone was not there to immediately scratch them!

The answer from the organisers to all this madness was the equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders and 'sh*t happens'.

Unacceptable and rude.

Let's face it though if it continues to attract a decent NIF people will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really don't understand why there where such massive delays. There appeared to be 8+ people on DT with just as many computers and 2 printers.

In the men's foil over an hours delay for the poules, then delays with DE's start even though there were pistes available. Don't think the L32 started until 5:00 pm, considering the 9:00 am checking close I really don't understand it. Plus zero communication didn't even tell you when they stuck results and draws up.

Therefore, fencers didn't know if they should be warming up, had time to eat, etc.

If they can't handle the numbers then they should have capped entry to numbers they could handle.

South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjoy View Post
    Really don't understand why there where such massive delays. There appeared to be 8+ people on DT with just as many computers and 2 printers.
    This is nothing new. The problem is that the organisers know how to run a competition and accept no criticism, constructive or otherwise. This is why we gave up - why toil all the way to Brum, at Easter, for an ill-run competition?
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Forum Rabbit

I think the excuse that it's the multi hall venue that causes these problems is a bit tired to be honest.

The lack of communication was dire, I know it can be difficult to herd fencers but we generally respond to a bit of direction. Unfortunately if it keeps attracting a big NIF then we are held somewhat captive.