Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham International Open 2017

South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    Unfortunately if it keeps attracting a big NIF then we are held somewhat captive.
    Fortunately for ME cesh has provided the alternative
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Birmingham has the advantage that it is Midlands and April so there isn't usually much competition.

My major issue is that it's Easter weekend so church/family need to take precedence, plus a couple of occasions where I didn't get back to my central hotel until 10pm so had to play hunt alternative parking around Paradise Circle... which was annoying...
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno

Warwick Open next year chaps- It'll be brill....

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Fortunately for ME cesh has provided the alternative
    fortunately for ME, JME, CME etc (in fact all things E) we have two of the best tournament organisers in the country in CESH & JW and their teams.

Can't understand why the other weapons appear to have such a problem getting their top fencers to play at tournaments or why there is no equivilent to the Elite Series in the others.
    just a daddy...and chauffeur

Forum Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeares View Post
    Warwick Open next year chaps- It'll be brill....
    The venue wasn't great and it was a slow comp even given the small numbers... what's going to change for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    The venue wasn't great and it was a slow comp even given the small numbers... what's going to change for next year?
    Slow? I think except WF there was never a gap of more than 10 minutes between results of one round coming in and next round going out

Slow? I think except WF there was never a gap of more than 10 minutes between results of one round coming in and next round going out
    MS delayed by 2 hours. Massive delays between the poules and the DE. Same with MF.

Can't speak for other weapons but there's 3/6.

Please pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    MS delayed by 2 hours. Massive delays between the poules and the DE. Same with MF.

Can't speak for other weapons but there's 3/6.

Please pay attention.
    Umm. I think you're talking about the wrong competition. My post was in reply to someone knocking the Warwick Open.... MS Check-in closed at 11. Poules started at 11.15. I know because I was knocked out in the Last eight before 1.... We were done with the whole competition by 4.30. including take-down. So unless you're claiming we ran the entire competition from 1- 3 you need to check your facts. Men's foil started at at 9.30 after a 9.00 check-in close because of traffic delays for 7 competitors.

I suggest you pay attention.....

Forum Rabbit

WE also had a delay of about an hour between poules and DE. Basically, when the WF finished, WE epee started. When WE finished, ME started and took all the pistes. Both WE and WF had to wait for the ME to finish. From what I understand it wasn't necessarily the organisers fault as they had lots of late entries, but that is a topic for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
    From what I understand it wasn't necessarily the organisers fault as they had lots of late entries, but that is a topic for another thread...
    Why would any event accept 'late entries' that they could not cope with accepting? If so who's fault would it be?
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

And then EVERYONE got confused by one reply taking us off-topic.

Warwick good, Birmingham bad - move along, nothing to see here.

If you post on the B'ham thread and talk about the Warwick open, people will not read back through the thread and realise, just reply with their experience of B'ham..

Umm. I think you're talking about the wrong competition. My post was in reply to someone knocking the Warwick Open.... MS Check-in closed at 11. Poules started at 11.15. I know because I was knocked out in the Last eight before 1.... We were done with the whole competition by 4.30. including take-down. So unless you're claiming we ran the entire competition from 1- 3 you need to check your facts. Men's foil started at at 9.30 after a 9.00 check-in close because of traffic delays for 7 competitors.

A bit strong don't you think !

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    A bit strong don't you think !
    Possibly. But then also just taking the lead of "pay attention please"

South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
    From what I understand it wasn't necessarily the organisers fault as they had lots of late entries, but that is a topic for another thread...
    Of course it's not their fault. They are beyond reproach and are duty bound to ensure that as many participants as possible gaze at empty pistes for the maximum time possible.

Please, if you didn't like it this year then don't go next year; it's the only way to get the message across.
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Rude, rudderless, ridiculous. Get someone competent in to run this event.

Hey, all mention of black cards has vanished from this thread, how strange!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

No organiser trys to run a bad competition. Some glitches are unavoidable, others are not.

One of the biggest problems are Late Entries. They are unpredictable, screw up seedings, make organisers do on the spot adjustments, which can then make for more errors and delays.

While no system is perfect, in the USA the following is pretty standard;

• Entry deadline with regular entry fee about 6 weeks before the tournament

• "Late" entry deadline about 4 weeks before the tournament. The cost is triple the regular entry fee.

• Anything after that and you're sh!t outta luck

• When you enter, you know the day your event will take place but not the time. Times are notified after the regular entry deadline after the organizers have worked out the #'s and logistics

The result;
    Everyone enters by the regular deadline, events start on time and are generally run pretty efficiently. Bear in mind that at a large tournament over here (NAC) they'll run up to 12-14 categories a day with far larger entry numbers than in the UK.
    JohnL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    One of the biggest problems are Late Entries.
    But they should not be in any way.

If an event cannot deal with them, just do not take them. If organisers want to take them, ensure they do not screw things up at the event.

One thing that organisers really should do is to email an entry list with, clubs, country, seeding etc prior to an event to all entries and say that changes on the day will not be made. If something is wrong it must be informed to the organisers in advance so mistakes cannot occur with changes on the day.

This stops issues where clubs are changed at check-in etc and cuts down re-draws if mistakes are made and tactical club changes at the last moment to have fencers avoid certain other fencers.

In reality events can sometimes start at 'check-in close time' if fencers are advised that that will happen if possible, 15 minutes after is totally doable, 30 minutes is OKish, anything over that is too long in my opinion (unless there is a 'waiting for pistes issue, but that is probably actually due to bad scheduling)..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Some glitches are unavoidable
    Totally agree..

I have had a few of nightmares in the last year or so..

Lights in a venue not working, incorrect set up of FencingTime for the event format (hour delay mid event), Printer failure (but had spare printer)..

Acknowledging that something has gone wrong on the day is the first step, keeping competitors informed on the day of what is happening is the second and publishing how you will try to ensure similar things do not go wrong going forward is the next.

All events will occasionally have glitches and in some cases massive glitches, but it is so important for the reputation of all events that they are dealt with correctly and are not regular issues..