Thread: The Secret Imagination of Elite Performers

Default The Secret Imagination of Elite Performers

I'm sure people will have heard this before - but its quite good anyway. So I am posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3STeyLUEU&sns=fb

"Younger siblings have a distinct advantage in competitive sports because in the absence of too many early opportunities to win, they become much more intrinsically motivated by the mastery of what they do, than the immediate outcome"
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by ED_R View Post
    "Younger siblings have a distinct advantage in competitive sports because in the absence of too many early opportunities to win, they become much more intrinsically motivated by the mastery of what they do, than the immediate outcome"
    [Citations Missing]

I don't think its usual to put citations in videos. This is a TEDx talk and not one of the big ones so perhaps not subject to such rigorous checking as I would expect in a full TED talk.

I think however that Charles Unwin is a well known sports psychologist - he works at Olympic level in five different sports - so I would expect that the anecdotes he uses in his TED speech are designed as illustrations of research he finds compelling.

I haven't read any of the following - but there do seem to be papers on the subject. I suspect they support what he is saying. I am sure you can find evidence against too.

Carette, B. Anseel, F. and Van Yperen, N.W. (2011) ‘Born to learn or born to win? Birth order effects on achievement goals’, Journal of Research in Personality, vol. 45, pp. 500–503.

Krombholz, H. (2006) Physical Performance In Relation To Age, Sex, Birth Order, Social Class, And Sports Activities Of Preschool Children. Perceptual and Motor Skills: Volume 102, Issue , pp. 477-484.

Ronbeck, N., F., and Vikander, N., O., (2011) ‘The role of Peers: siblings and friends in the recruitment and development of athletes’, Acta Kinesiologiae Universitatis Tartuensis, Vol.17.
    Edward Peck