Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essex Open 2017

Forum Rabbit

Default Essex Open 2017

Dear all,

Thankfully the rumours of our demise are unfounded. The Essex Open is still fit and well and going ahead as usual. Here are some details (I'll add more links etc as and when they're available) to keep you going and get it in the diary:

---------------------------------------

When: Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th of September 2017.

Where: University of Essex Sports Centre, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, CO4 3SQ (new venue!)

http://www.essex.ac.uk/about/colchester/maps.aspx

Main Competition Entry Fee: 26

Closing Date for entires: Friday, 1st of September 2017

Please NOTE: ALL ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE. PLEASE NOTE THE CAP ON ENTRY NUMBERS BELOW

Mens Foil (Maximum entries: 70)
    Date: Sat, 9th Sep 2017
    Check-in closes: 9:30am

Womens Foil (Maximum entries: 28)
    Check-in closes: 11:30am

Mens Epee (Maximum entries: 70)
    Date: Sun, 10th Sep 2017

Womens Epee (Maximum entries: 28)

Mens Sabre (Maximum entries: 21)
    Check-in closes: 2:30pm

Womens Sabre (Maximum entries: 7)

Entry: This will be online, a link to follow shortly

Medals: Medals will be awarded to the top 4 fencers in each event including prizes for first place.

Refreshments: A light refreshments stall will be available.

Equipment: Leon Paul equipment stand will be present all weekend for general sales and pre-ordered deliveries. An armoury service will also be available.

Additional Information:

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN VENUE-
    University of Essex Sports Centre

Wivenhoe Park
    Colchester
    CO4 3SQ

PLEASE NOTE THE CAP ON ENTRIES and book early to avoid disappointment.

There will be no facility for late entry. Except that entries on the day will be accepted if there are spaces remaining once check-in has closed.

The Essex Open is organised by Colchester & District Fencing Club and sponsored by Leon Paul. An equipment stand and armoury service will be available.

All UK entrants must be members of the British Fencing Association.

ALL ENTRY FEES ARE STRICTLY NON-REFUNDABLE.

The organisers cannot accept responsibility for accident, loss or damage to persons or property however sustained.

For further Info: Please keep checking here, alternatively check out our website (https://www.colchesterfencing.com) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/CADS.Fencing)

Default Essex Open 2017

The entries are now being taken on Sport80.

Please see link for information.
    There are entry caps in place, so book early to avoid disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencersdad View Post
    Dear all,

Thankfully the rumours of our demise are unfounded. The Essex Open is still fit and well and going ahead as usual. Here are some details (I'll add more links etc as and when they're available) to keep you going and get

Where: University of Essex Sports Centre, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, CO4 3SQ (new venue!)

Please NOTE: ALL ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE. PLEASE NOTE THE CAP ON ENTRY NUMBERS BELOW

Mens Foil (Maximum entries: 70)

Womens Foil (Maximum entries: 28)

Mens Epee (Maximum entries: 70)

Womens Epee (Maximum entries: 28)

Mens Sabre (Maximum entries: 21)

Womens Sabre (Maximum entries: 7)

Entry: This will be online, a link to follow shortly

Medals: Medals will be awarded to the top 4 fencers in each event including prizes for first place.

Refreshments: A light refreshments stall will be available.

Equipment: Leon Paul equipment stand will be present all weekend for general sales and pre-ordered deliveries. An armoury service will also be available.

Additional Information:

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN VENUE-
    University of Essex Sports Centre

Wivenhoe Park
    Colchester
    CO4 3SQ

PLEASE NOTE THE CAP ON ENTRIES and book early to avoid disappointment.

There will be no facility for late entry. Except that entries on the day will be accepted if there are spaces remaining once check-in has closed.

The Essex Open is organised by Colchester & District Fencing Club and sponsored by Leon Paul. An equipment stand and armoury service will be available.

All UK entrants must be members of the British Fencing Association.

ALL ENTRY FEES ARE STRICTLY NON-REFUNDABLE.

The organisers cannot accept responsibility for accident, loss or damage to persons or property however sustained.

For further Info: Please keep checking here, alternatively check out our website (https://www.colchesterfencing.com) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/CADS.Fencing)

Forum Rabbit

Default intermediate comp

Hi Fencersdad, I'm very new to competitions and heard there was an intermediate comp here. Do you know how I can enter it?

Forum Rabbit

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sneakysabreur View Post
    Hi Fencersdad, I'm very new to competitions and heard there was an intermediate comp here. Do you know how I can enter it?
    Hi sneakysabreur

I'm going to check this out for you. I know we have run intermediate competitions in foil previously. But with such low minimums this year I'm not sure we will be running one. I do know there is a spread of abilities in all the weapons though. I will get back to you.

I hope this helps.

Forum Rabbit

Lightbulb Essex Open

Just to clarify: there is no intermediate event within the Essex Open this year. I hope that helps.

Forum Rabbit

Default Entries are coming in!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencersdad View Post
    Dear all,

Thankfully the rumours of our demise are unfounded. The Essex Open is still fit and well and going ahead as usual. Here are some details (I'll add more links etc as and when they're available) to keep you going and get it in the diary:

THE FULL POST IS ABOVE

Entries are coming in now. Remember the numbers are capped, so to avoid disappointment - get your entry in early! But just to help everyone, this is the link to Sport:80 >>> https://bf.sport80.com/login

----IMPORTANT----
    ----IMPORTANT----
    ----IMPORTANT----

Please note the change of venue in original post!

We are now at the university of Essex, NOT Leisureworld.

----IMPORTANT----
    ----IMPORTANT----
    ----IMPORTANT----

WF has made the Cap of 28 quite quickly, and the Nif will be reasonably healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    WF has made the Cap of 28 quite quickly, and the Nif will be reasonably healthy.
    Making the entry limit so small for WS you might as well not run it. It's all very well charging full price for a competition that doesn't get much interest in the end. But charging full price for a competition where you have actively limited the entry to 7 is a joke.

Same goes for MS really. If you don't want sabre in there just get rid of it rather than wasting the places that women's foil could have.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    Making the entry limit so small for WS you might as well not run it. It's all very well charging full price for a competition that doesn't get much interest in the end. But charging full price for a competition where you have actively limited the entry to 7 is a joke.

Same goes for MS really. If you don't want sabre in there just get rid of it rather than wasting the places that women's foil could have.
    You mean women's Epee, Foil is on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-a-Mum View Post
    You mean women's Epee, Foil is on Saturday.
    Sure, either. The point was about the ridiculous caps, I don't mind where the spare resource goes.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post

Agreed. Always disappoints me when I see the discriminatory caps on women's fencing when compared with the men's. 28 vs 70 for WF. Almost the same number of women and men are currently entered: the women's cap has already been reached, but another 38 male foilists can still enter. If the women are lucky, they get to sit on a waiting list for a last-minute decision on whether they are "allowed" to compete. Most will probably see the small cap - or see that the places have been filled - and be discouraged from entering at all. It happens too often and it's wrong.

A cap of 7? (Sigh.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjack View Post
    Agreed. Always disappoints me when I see the discriminatory caps on women's fencing when compared with the men's. 28 vs 70 for WF. Almost the same number of women and men are currently entered: the women's cap has already been reached, but another 38 male foilists can still enter. If the women are lucky, they get to sit on a waiting list for a last-minute decision on whether they are "allowed" to compete. Most will probably see the small cap - or see that the places have been filled - and be discouraged from entering at all. It happens too often and it's wrong.

A cap of 7? (Sigh.)
    In their defense last year only 3 entered. Maybe if they hit the cap they would increase it next year. I recall these caps were introduced as the competition was suffering due to falling numbers so the only way they could exist was to reduce their space and introduce caps. Hopefully all the places will be filled and next year they can look at increasing again.

Caps on enteries are why it is important to enter early. If category fill soon after entries have opened then organisers have time, if they wish, to look and bringing in resources (piste space, equipment, etc) and/or re-allocating resources from another category.

If you leave entering until a few weeks before the event then it is almost impossible to book additional space, and really difficult to re-allocate resources.

Increasing a cap either means an additonal piste, or more fencers in a poule. Going from poules of 6 to 7 is an additonal 12 fights, that's before you even start looking at DE's. So time also is a major consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjoy View Post
    Going from poules of 6 to 7 is an additonal 12 fights
    lol no.

edit: I'll give you a hint. That seventh fencer in a pool has to fence how many other fencers in the pool?

Quote Originally Posted by riposteinprime View Post
    lol no.

edit: I'll give you a hint. That seventh fencer in a pool has to fence how many other fencers in the pool?
    Sorry, my miscalculations. Only need half the poule sheet. However, all additonal time and with the best will in the world this is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjoy View Post
    Sorry, my miscalculations. Only need half the poule sheet. However, all additonal time and with the best will in the world this is limited.
    Number of fights in a pool with n fencers is (n x (n-1))/2.

6 fencers is 6x5/2 = 15
    7 fencers is 7x6/2 = 21

Simples.
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.

It's a shame the organisers weren't more liberal with their caps especially in the Womans Events, I also agree that the Cap is so rediculous in WS it really was pointless running the competition.
    But the main stream events that have been around for a while and have proven to be points providers in different weapons in the past should know there will be more entries and interest especially in a Commonwealth Selection Year.
    So in WF you'd expect a busy Essex, Scottish, Welsh, and Birmingham Opens these events historically have provided bumper points.

Hopefully all the Woman Events hit their Caps and show the organisers that the numbers require a rethink if not this season but certainly next.

I'm coming back from injury and had hoped to enter this local competition. Apparently, with 7 entrants for WS it is full. Really disappointing ☹️

South East England (Greater London really)

Default Query

Anyone happen to know if there is seating available and/or space for rollbags etc?
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?