Thread: Tokyo

Whoah!

That is a big thing. If I'm UK Sport I can probably be persuaded to fund MFT at this point, as its lack of Olympic event would have been a factor in not funding them.

Time for BF to get on the phone to them I reckon.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Allen View Post
    Great news!

Erm, while you're here, how do you fancy coming to play with us at the next Vets European Team Champs?

(please)

Brilliant! Now we need to persuade Richard Kruse to start doing team events again.
    Savvy!

Agreed, this is great news and certainly should be looked at by BF as a possible route to getting some funding back to our elite Men's Foilists.
    JohnL

I'm hearing that this won't change to actual number of fencers competing. Could mean that it becomes even tougher to qualify as an individual rather than through the team route.
    Savvy!

The FIE in the past were quite nervous about getting the medals and no additional fencer places as it will make it more difficult to qualify as an individual and especially from Europe.

It will be about 32/ 33 fencers per event, with 24 places taken by teams and then 8 places available for qualifying from the world for individual places. 8 of the overall fencing quota goes to the Organising country.

That said, from a world fencing point of view it is great news and also very good news for the very strong team nations as now they will be able to qualify in all weapons.

From a GB point of view our teams need to be in the top 5 in the world to guarantee qualification. Top 4 in world qualify plus highest team per zone.

I hope UKS will re-visit funding and allocate some money to our MF team, as part of their rationale was that there was no MF team in Tokyo and they did not feel any other weapon could medal.

Fingers crossed.