Thread: Removing rust from my foil?

Default Removing rust from my foil?

Hi all, i have a couple of steam foils that have some surface rust and i'm just wonder what's the best way to remove it? I'm contemplating WD40 and wire wool or possibly autochrome metal polish as stuff I have to hand.

The deburring wheel on a bench grinder (the softer wheel) does a great job with little effort. Just wear gloves, because it's gonna heat up.

You'll probably have to take the foil apart so you can get the very base cleaned up....the guard and the wheel's mounting bracket will get the the way otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    Hi all, i have a couple of steam foils that have some surface rust and i'm just wonder what's the best way to remove it?
    If it is only surface rust then a new, dry washing up pad is usually adequate. Use the rough side, not the sponge side.

If there is a gun shop near you then you can buy a silicone oil impregnated cloth to use afterwards.
    If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.

Go over the foils with dampened Wet & Dry paper then remove the residue/dry the blade with some kitchen roll.

Thanks for the advice, i googled my query and noticed some use fine wire wool too.

You can actually buy a "special" block for cleaning foils (well you can in France in the fencing stores), its not very expensive and works well

Quote Originally Posted by Miacat View Post
    You can actually buy a "special" block for cleaning foils (well you can in France in the fencing stores), its not very expensive and works well
    Leon Paul sell Garryflex, which is the most Essex sounding thing I've ever come across.

https://www.leonpaul.com/blade-cleaning-block.html

Or Amazon at around half the LP price.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garryson-Ga...8123238&sr=8-2

I found the wet & dry metal sand paper worked a treat. Pretty much got off all the rust with just a bit of elbow grease although those foils run hot quick :-) just sanded dry and rubbed down afterwards with a microfibre cloth.

[IMG][/IMG]