Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new GBR patch?

Forum Rabbit

Default Thoughts on the new GBR patch?

I really like it, I think that it is quite smart and modern. My main question is how home nation stripes are meant to work with it?

Forum Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by J4G View Post
    I really like it, I think that it is quite smart and modern. My main question is how home nation stripes are meant to work with it?
    It replaces the stripes.

I heard a rumour that Home Nations are designing their own patches. That would make sense.

It replaces the stripes.
    I meant Scotland, England, Wales, NI, etc. If the HO nations are designing their own patches then that's awesome

I meant Scotland, England, Wales, NI, etc. If the HO nations are designing their own patches then that's awesome
    You shouldn't have both on at the same time anyway so the question was void.

The patches seem disappointingly small, and are going to give a lot less colour than the old stripes.

Coach Carson are those rumours concerning Scottish Stripes? If so it will change my plans on swapping stripes for Chloe and I'll wait for the new release.

Interesting design....but why black and not blue?

NI when not in Dublin, Scotland or the SW

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    Interesting design....but why black and not blue?
    Seems an odd choice all right! Maybe they know something we don't about about that hypothetical Indyref2
    L. Donaghy occasionally NIR/IRL

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post

Compared to the original teaser artwork this patch looks very bland. Size and colours are really disappointing. Hope it looks better in real life than what the LP image indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
    Compared to the original teaser artwork this patch looks very bland. Size and colours are really disappointing. Hope it looks better in real life than what the LP image indicates.
    Totally agree, original images were big and bold and looked like we were going down the line of a colourful print. The 12cm leg patch just doesn't do it does it?

It is a toss up between looking awesome and the practicality and cost of application.

Huge designs look great but you can't easily use a sew on patch so you have to spray them on. Spraying in multi colours is very expensive and time consuming. Spray also fades and looks washed out relatively quickly.

A smaller patch that can be sewn on once and lasts the life of the garment seems to LP to be the best bet.

There is a blog post on application methods here which outlines some of the pro's and cons of different application methods:

https://www.leonpaul.com/blog/nation...ethod-is-best/

Forum Rabbit

I didnít really want to sound like a Debbie downer but Iím not really impressed by the patch. The logo itself would probably get a C- in any junior graphics design class. With the random slashes the R isnít very clear. The flag itself isnít well designed (The R blending into it makes it less recognisable. The random red with the bottom of the R. Why isnít there a final blue triangle at the bottom of the flag? I could go on.) All of it is rather random where as a logo should be crisp with every colour and marking having a visual purpose. The white space is another missed opportunity. We all know fencing uniforms come in every shade of white and this white box will probably stand out on most kit as a square.

Oh well.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP View Post
    It is a toss up between looking awesome and the practicality and cost of application.
    What's wrong with the national teams looking awesome? How do the South Korea and Italia teams manage to get a bold large colouful logos on their kit that announce their teams? We must try harder

Forum Rabbit

Such a shame, the artwork looked good but this patch is disappointing and I don't understand why it is being changed at all if it is not an improvement.
    Not sure how a white patch will look on LP Apex kit!!!! Makes us look a bit naff compared to other countries, what a missed opportunity. 😣

Default Only for FIE events

As the weapon manager for Epee I hope that the only people who have the new patches are fencers who are competing at FIE events. This includes:

Junior World Cups
    World Cups
    Satellites
    European Cadet Championships
    European Junior Championships
    European Senior Championships
    World Cadet Championships
    World Junior Championships
    World Senior Championships

Fencers taking part in cadet international events or opens in other countries should not be wearing the new patch as it is not required.

The stripe got somewhat de-valued by the end, the change in design is a chance for the new patch to mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
    What's wrong with the national teams looking awesome? How do the South Korea and Italia teams manage to get a bold large colouful logos on their kit that announce their teams? We must try harder
    There is nothing wrong with looking awesome but as per my post it is a trade off between size and complexity vs cost.

The Italia logo is big but in one colour so easy to spray.

The korea logo is a nightmare to apply so very expensive and fades or peels off. If you read my link to the blog post you would understand.

I hate to say this but if people concentrated more on getting through the poule and less on how they looked the results might improve...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Willis View Post
    As the weapon manager for Epee I hope that the only people who have the new patches are fencers who are competing at FIE events. This includes:

Junior World Cups
    World Cups
    Satellites
    European Cadet Championships
    European Junior Championships
    European Senior Championships
    World Cadet Championships
    World Junior Championships
    World Senior Championships
    Possibly Veterans World Championships as an FIE event - although the regulations appear ambiguous

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by riposteinprime View Post
    Not sure the quality of your image does the logo any favours. However, that being said, it is a poor representation of the new British Fencing Brand.

Here is a larger version to see the quality clearly.

Personally, I don't like it at all. I do not think it represents well and I do not think it is true to the brand. The spacing between the minor parts of the flag is inconsistent and looks messy. I wonder how many fencers are going to be rushing to ditch their stripes in favour of this.

On a positive note, as Jon pointed out, there are actually very few fencers required to wear it, the rest that have been wearing stripes can continue to do so. Will be interesting to see how many fencers choose to wear it in favour of their existing stripes.

Shame that British Fencing didn't put the design out to the community before production, I am not convinced it would have gone ahead if they had. The reality is that the patches have been produced, the FIE have approved it, looks like we are going to be seeing it around for quite a while so may as well get use to it.: (