Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stratford Cadet and Hamlet Open 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Did you intend to post this, or was this a quote gone wrong?
    It's a subtle parody of the original post - most humorous!

Quote Originally Posted by danKew View Post
    It's a subtle parody of the original post - most humorous!
    Too subtle for me before I've had enough coffee....

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Too subtle for me before I've had enough coffee....
    Your next coffee is on me.

This is a hard one.
    Fencers want to be confident they understand the calls they are getting, otherwise it's really hard to know how to try to fence. There's no excuse for yelling at them and throwing things, but it's certainly a cause of frustration. One or two mistakes in a DE is usually OK, but it's very hard to take when it's more than that.

But good referees don't just appear, they have to learn and develop over time. And no-one should doubt that it's better to have (expenses) paid independent referees than self-refereed poules. If we create an environment where it's too hostile for referees, we end up with nothing again.
    We have to trust in the process by which referees can give each other private feedback and work on their development together.
    We have to support referee education initiatives and send fencers from every club to workshops etc. so we have the same understanding of the rules wherever you go.

As an aside, I thought the organisation was good. I don't like the venue itself that much, but I do like the floor and the light, so it balances out I reckon. I particularly enjoyed the team event, which is always a lot of fun and this time was for a good cause as well. Thanks to the organisers.

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    I particularly enjoyed the team event, which is always a lot of fun and this time was for a good cause as well. Thanks to the organisers.
    Just to pick up on this.

At time of writing, 1,000 has been raised across the weekend for the Alice Ruggles Trust. So thank you everyone for your incredible generosity. I went into the weekend thinking that we might take 100, maybe 200 if we were lucky, so this far surpassed all my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post

arbitrary refereeing of years gone by which seemed to favour the application of non-existent rules (the faster fencer is the attacker,
    Funny thing was that when my fencer politely questioned a point given in the middle to opponent this was actually reason given .

That said generally it was of good quality and I do understand that just like the fencer has to learn in a completion so do refs

To add to what Mike Selig said about "abroad".

In the mythical place abroad where the referees are perfect, a lot of the fencers are closer to perfect than many of the opponents our British internationals meet domestically, and you tend to find that that hit you get loads of at home doesn't work because the opponent does not have the weakness that hit exploits (or that guaranteed 1 light hit is now 2 lights)

For a fencer who is focussed on "abroad" until the last couple of rounds of a domestic focussing on hits in the middle is lazy and hardly valid training for "abroad" purely because the tactical game is not the same when many of the hits are given due to the "senior" fencer exploiting a particular flaw in the technique of their opponent rather than a true exercise in middle fencing...
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno