Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Army issue plastron???

  1. #1
    Initiate tenorclef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    22

    Default Army issue plastron???

    http://imgur.com/a/ltpd0

    Picked this up and wondered what it's suitability would be for electric fencing. Has Army written on it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kalivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/ltpd0

    Picked this up and wondered what it's suitability would be for electric fencing. Has Army written on it.
    I believe that kevlar FIE gear had expiry dates due to the material degrading. So probably not suitable.

  3. #3
    ***** Legend hokers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woking/Guildford
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    Got to be marked CEN Level 2.

    Plus trusting your life to a 32 year old piece of clothing with unknown provenance/maintenance is not a good idea.

  4. #4
    Initiate tenorclef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    22

    Default

    OK cheers 🍻 perhaps I'll just hold onto it for steam.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    OK cheers 🍻 perhaps I'll just hold onto it for steam.
    You can get hurt by a broken dry blade as easily as a broken electric one.

    Given the age and likely degradation of the kevlar....Id put it aside as a display piece and get a new current one.

  6. #6
    Initiate tenorclef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    You can get hurt by a broken dry blade as easily as a broken electric one.

    Given the age and likely degradation of the kevlar....Id put it aside as a display piece and get a new current one.
    Good call!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    Good call!
    I'm an armorer....it's what I do!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/ltpd0

    Picked this up and wondered what it's suitability would be for electric fencing. Has Army written on it.
    Please just buy a starter kit.

  9. #9

    Default No Expiry date

    Quote Originally Posted by kalivor View Post
    I believe that kevlar FIE gear had expiry dates due to the material degrading. So probably not suitable.
    There is no expiry date on FIE gear.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordmaster View Post
    There is no expiry date on FIE gear.
    Not NOW....I believe they did up until a few years ago.

  11. #11
    Senior Member kalivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordmaster View Post
    There is no expiry date on FIE gear.
    FIE gear in the 1980s expired after a certain period of time - 5 or 10 years (I can't remember now), due to the material degrading. The rule changed when materials other than kevlar were introduced.

    This plastron would have had an expiry date.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenorclef View Post
    OK cheers 🍻 perhaps I'll just hold onto it for steam.
    Just don't use it at all. Put it in the bucket, you can't ever trust old Kevlar fencing kit.
    If you paid money for it just accept what seemed a good call was in fact not and move on.

    Paul N-M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •