Thread: Selection Choices- Option C

Default Selection Choices- Option C

Duncan Rowlands has posted to the Veterans Face book group on the selection options that the committee are putting to the membership. I am not allowed to post to this group because I am banned as I posted my opinion that we should spend more effort on increasing participation and standards and less on selection. Hence I am posting on the Forum and would invite any member of the Veterans Group to paste this post into the Veterans Face book group.

Part of Duncanís post was-
    Option C
    This is a return to the 2017 format of an Ďall age groups togetherí National Championships using poules and DE plus an Age Group Qualifier with fencers competing within their age group in a poule unique.
    For the Worlds selection is the top placed fencer in each age group at the Nationals plus the top 3 fencers in each age group from the Age Group Qualifiers.

For the European Teams selection is solely from fencersí positions in the National Championships.
    This scheme was discussed at our committee meeting on Sunday. The committee discussed and were in broad agreement that although we would keep the general principles of last seasons system, there would be significant changes. The timing of the Age groups would return to Jan/Feb as it used to be. The domestic fencing officer was asked to find a suitable venue for this period. This would mean that the age groups would be used for selection for the Europeans. In addition, the Nationals would only select a fencer for the Worlds if they reached at least the top 50% of the competition. This was to prevent a fencer from a weaker categories being selected just because of having a slightly better indicator, but not ever winning a DE fight.
    Hence the fencers for the European team championship will not be selected solely from the National results.
    Another issue that Duncan did not mention and was not even considered in his Working Group report; was the difference in requirements between the different age groups and genders. The committee decided that the results from the vote of the members will be considered on an age and gender basis. This could mean having different systems for different categories.

Duncan also stated-
    The use of a mixed age group event to select for separate age group events (which the Worlds and the Euros are) is illogical and seriously flawed. This has been demonstrated on a number of occasions over the years.
    British fencing in its selection schemes for Juniors and Cadets use results from Senior competitions, and this has never been questioned as illogical; or seriously flawed. It means that even the top fencers in each category are being challenged and stretched as will happen when they compete internationally. I see no great difference in the principle being applied to veteran fencing. I challenge Duncan to give examples of how it has been demonstrated as being seriously flawed. (Duncan, please donít come back with the selection of category 4 fencers from the Nationals for ET16, which is already dealt with above).

Have to say that I think the 3 options that have been given to the BVF membership are pretty good.

I look forward to the result and the membership being able to put everything to bed on this issue for a couple of years.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    Have to say that I think the 3 options that have been given to the BVF membership are pretty good.

I look forward to the result and the membership being able to put everything to bed on this issue for a couple of years.
    Please not only a couple of years, I was hoping this would see me out!

Quote Originally Posted by graham paul View Post
    Please not only a couple of years, I was hoping this would see me out!
    I think a choice now with no option of adapting it after the community has had time to digest and see how it works is being very short-viewed.

Yes the bigger choice of general direction is good to decide for the longer term, but small changes at the edges for steady improvement has to be the way to go.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing