Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Talent Programme

Default The New Talent Programme

This weekend at the Leon Paul Centre in London, the new British Fencing Talent Programme induction took place. As no-one else has mentioned it, I thought Iíd give it a little write-up on here.

Approx 60-70 epee & foil fencers attended, aged between 13 and 22. A small number of club coaches also came along. As I understood it, the primary aim of the TP, explained at the start of the session, is to compliment (not be at odds with) what happens at club level between fencers & their coaches. Any fencer can be part of the TP - it is not solely based on ranking - if any fencer didnít get an invite for this session and feels they want to be part of it, drop Stuart an email. Being on the TP (or not) wonít have any bearing on selections for International events, but may possibly be used to assist with the formulation of teams at those events. I got the impression that what happens in future sessions may very much depend on the feedback from this first session (and future sessions) - the TP will evolve and adapt over time.

This first session was pitched just about right, and the 3 fencers I travelled with all felt it was very useful - and enjoyed the weekend.

The calendar for what was covered is linked here;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4l...ew?usp=sharing

Ask away if there is anything else you'd like to know

Thanks for posting. Can't find anything on BF website about this. Can you post Stuart's email address. Anything planned for sabre ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    Thanks for posting. Can't find anything on BF website about this. Can you post Stuart's email address. Anything planned for sabre ?
    The first Sabre on is 16/17 September (London). Stuarts contact is:

stuart.haw@britishfencing.com

Congratulations to Chris and team for a good start
    Savvy!

Unfortunately, most dates, for sabre, are unsuitable for Scots who are still at school or have made social arrangements for their few non fencing weekends due to Cadet and Junior competitions.
    Great idea. Hope it works. Can we have something based round Scottish holidays next time please?

Has anyone got a link to dates or information please ?

All the dates for all 3 weapons have been added to the BF calendars;

Cadets - http://www.britishfencing.com/GBR/ca...titions_17_18/
    Juniors - http://www.britishfencing.com/GBR/ju...titions_17_18/

As for accommodating Scotland, I think it might be worth casting an eye over this doc;

http://www.britishfencing.com/upload...ne_2017_v8.pdf

Section 3.6 - The Sport England funding to set up a Talent Pathway is intended to be used for creating a Talent Programme in England. As such, TDCs will be set up in England. British Fencing will not restrict access to the Talent Pathway Programme to athletes from other Home Nations, however athletes from other Home Nations may not necessarily receive the same Sport England funded support.
    HTH

Foil
    02-03/09/2017 (London)
    21-22/10/2017 (Manchester)
    04/11/2017 (Manchester)
    03/12/2017 (London)
    27-30/12/2017 (London)
    16-18/02/2017 (Manchester)
    24-30/03/2018 (London)

Epee
    02-03/09/2017 (London)
    27-30/12/2017 (London)
    24-30/03/2018 (London)

Sabre
    16-17/09/2017 (London)
    24-27/10/2017 (London)
    11-12/11/2017 (Manchester)
    16-19/12/17 (London)
    27-28/01/2018 (London)
    24-30/03/2018 (London)

Additional dates will be added to the calendar in due course.
    Savvy!

Quote Originally Posted by danKew View Post
    This weekend at the Leon Paul Centre in London, the new British Fencing Talent Programme induction took place. As no-one else has mentioned it, I thought Iíd give it a little write-up on here.

Approx 60-70 epee & foil fencers attended, aged between 13 and 22. A small number of club coaches also came along. As I understood it, the primary aim of the TP, explained at the start of the session, is to compliment (not be at odds with) what happens at club level between fencers & their coaches. Any fencer can be part of the TP - it is not solely based on ranking - if any fencer didnít get an invite for this session and feels they want to be part of it, drop Stuart an email. Being on the TP (or not) wonít have any bearing on selections for International events, but may possibly be used to assist with the formulation of teams at those events. I got the impression that what happens in future sessions may very much depend on the feedback from this first session (and future sessions) - the TP will evolve and adapt over time.

This first session was pitched just about right, and the 3 fencers I travelled with all felt it was very useful - and enjoyed the weekend.

Thank you for this summary. Interesting to see an approach of collaboration and a new and open-minded leadership team, and also to see inclusiveness. I do hope it develops in a similar spirit.

Forum Rabbit

Default Seems at odds...

Not sure if there are cross wires, but I sent an email to Stuart asking about how my son could apply to get on the program (if that's what you need to do) and got this reply...

The selection for the Talent pathway was made based on the rankings of Fencers in the Cadet and Junior ranking lists. If Fencers were in the top 20 of either the Cadet or junior rankings or had made the top 16 at a National Championships then they were invited to the programme.

I hope this clarifies things. If you have any more questions please do ask.

I sent another email, but somehow somewhere there is a slight disconnect to what DanKew said and what Stuart is saying?

Any ideas?

U23s were also included.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by Fencersdad View Post
    I sent another email, but somehow somewhere there is a slight disconnect to what DanKew said and what Stuart is saying?

Any ideas?
    That's odd. Definitely not the message we were getting. Maybe the application for inclusion needs to be done through the fencers coach as per 3.2 in this doc;

Forum Rabbit

That's odd. Definitely not the message we were getting. Maybe the application for inclusion needs to be done through the fencers coach as per 3.2 in this doc;

Thanks for this, I'll have a read! I will get on to his coach as well and ask if he would put something together. Stuart hasn't replied to my second mail. Though I will keep you updated.

I do think rankings are a good indicator. However, when some of the younger fencers competing are not 'fully grown', I don't think it is the only indicator. I'm sure that you can be a great fencer, with good blade skills and footwork, but still not got into your 'groove' when it comes to actually competing.

I do hope that what you posted was correct, because I think it could be a great thing for the sport.

Forum Rabbit

Default Sabre - TPP Induction

Hi

Stuart Hawes at BF has signposted us to this forum to connect with other parents who's offspring are on the sabre TPP.

Our daughter can't make the sabre induction this weekend: if anyone does go, please would you give a quick summary/overview here so that she's prepared for the next camp.

Many thanks

K

[QUOTE=KAM;320982]Hi

Stuart Hawes at BF has signposted us to this forum to connect with other parents who's offspring are on the sabre TPP.

Our daughter can't make the sabre induction this weekend: if anyone does go, please would you give a quick summary/overview here so that she's prepared for the next camp.

Many thanks

I am the same we cant afford the cost of travel and overnight stays in London o will probably only attend the ones in Manchester. (Also doing the open this weekend ) However Stuart indicated that they would send information out to those that cant attend

All the dates for all 3 weapons have been added to the BF calendars;

As for accommodating Scotland, I think it might be worth casting an eye over this doc;

HTH
    So, British Fencing organising for English Fencing is what this is telling me. Why invite the Scots if it is not actually for them?

Not trying to start a political war (even if it seems that way). Just genuinely curious. If British Fencing is supposed to support ALL the home nations why is everything based purely in England? I understand the funding for this is Sport England(?) but surely then it should not be a BF programme?
    I really am confused as to what is BF and what is EF!

Read the document:

The Sport England funding to set up a Talent Pathway is intended to be used for creating a Talent Programme in England. As such, TDCs will be set up in England. British Fencing will not restrict access to the Talent Pathway Programme to athletes from other Home Nations, however athletes from other Home Nations may not necessarily receive the same Sport England funded support

[QUOTE=riposteinprime;320995]Read the document:
    [I]

I have! Just asking a question. Sorry to have offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by fencers mum View Post
    I have! Just asking a question. Sorry to have offended you.
    You're not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by riposteinprime View Post
    You're not sorry.
    If you are trying to offend and upset, you have succeeded. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by riposteinprime View Post
    You're not sorry.
    How can you possibly claim that someone isn't sorry - Stuth!!!

The whole set up and funding of this new talent programme is a bit messy, and surely if according to the sacred document its English Fencing Funding for development of English Fencers then British Fencing are stretching their financial backing to cover areas it wasn't supposed to and therefore using cash for a UK talent Pathway which should only cover English Development.
    If it is just an English Pathway fine then have it in London and Manchester, but if British Fencing are meaning this to be a UK scheme, and by their invitations this was probably the case, then it's one south and one north training bases fall far short of meeting a UK wide involvement.

Like all the schemes it follows it is massively financially flawed, why attend a weekend course which costs the same as a Satellite Trip especially if economics and an athletes time dictates that a competitive calendar is more beneficial.

University, skills and foreign box time picked up abroad are far more important, so for us it was declined like the last scheme which cost a lot of money until my daughter removed herself from it.

fencers mum I'd direct your questions and worries to BF and retract your apology lol, good luck.