Thread: Reverse shoulder rule revoked

Default Reverse shoulder rule revoked

Looks like this wasn't well received in the end.

http://static.fie.org/uploads/17/899...2017%20ang.pdf

The rule has not been revoked.

Read the first line: it's in bold, in a black border, the heading to the whole document:

PROPOSALS OF MODIFICATIONS TO THE RULES 2017 CONGRESS

I agree it hasn't been well received though.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post

Read the first line: it's in bold, in a black border, the heading to the whole document:

So these will be voted on & confirmed at the end of November in Dubai. Should we expect implementation from January?

Default non combativity in foil

Good to see British Fencing's proposal about passivity in foil being accepted.

There was a foreign referee at the British Nationals last year who insisted that an off-target didn't count for passivity - only valid hits. During the bout, there had been off-target hits within the 60 seconds, but he seemed pretty bored and just wanted to get the fight over with, and he called passivity.

Off targets count as hits, even if they aren't valid, and therefore should be taken into account when assessing passivity, but that wasn't explicitly stated in the rules. It should be going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post

OK the modification is to remove the rule, if I understand that strike though correctly.

It looks like eliminating the reversing shoulders rule found favor with everyone and hopefully it will be removed from the rulebook soon. Personally I think it's a terrible rule.

Also, I understand the need for epee to address the non-combativeness to make the weapon more spectator friendly. However as a fencer, my intent when I walk onto the strip is to win. To do this, I use my strengths where possible and hopefully my opponents weaknesses.

If I assess that my best chance of winning is to be in a defensive mode, I AM fencing to the best of my ability. I am not, "Not Fighting," but merely fighting in the way I have deemed to give me the best chance of winning.

Now I understand that this may not be the most spectator attractive fencing, but as a fencer, that CANNOT be my primary concern.
    JohnL

Default Still valid until BF has the official nod

Just to update that BF have said this rule is still valid until they give official notification

Quote Originally Posted by debsy72 View Post
    just to update that bf have said this rule is still valid until they give official notification
    proposals of modifications to the rules 2017 congress

...I mean, seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by riposteinprime View Post
    proposals of modifications to the rules 2017 congress

...I mean, seriously....
    Yes, seriously. Getting rid of the rule is still only a proposal, albeit one with a lot of support. Any change will either be with immediate effect from the date of the meeting, or from 1st Jan.
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.