Thread: Great Coaching Video

Default Great Coaching Video

Really good video covering technical tactical and logistical elements of fencing training. It's from 1997 so some of the technical elements may not be as relevant post 2004 but really worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y08-ZUHAbvo&t=2899s

Fantastic find.

I can see why Buckie gets so much respect. He must have been way ahead of the game in the US back then. He's still working with the women's foil team too.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Fantastic find.

I can see why Buckie gets so much respect. He must have been way ahead of the game in the US back then. He's still working with the women's foil team too.
    It's interesting to watch this with the benefit of hindsight. In one section he talk about how US fencers need to get over their feeling of inferiority to European fencers. 20 years later I think they have

He also talks about how the Russian system which is based on around a full time athlete doesn't work in the US and how his program is based on shorter but very intense sessions.

The bit where he talks about hand speed:

[paraphrase]

I would to go to Europe and I would watch what the coaches were doing. I would give a lesson next to them and I would try and get the same feel for what they were doing. Then I would come home and continue. The thing is, when I went back out there I would find either I had got slower or they had got faster, I'd lost it. You need more than one good fencer. You need to to work hard constantly on improving.

[/paraphrase]

That is an excellent insight. Elsewhere I've been banging on about culture and in this snippet on hand speed I think Buckie sums up the issues he was having back then. There's definitely a lesson to be learned.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Also I think we're getting better at this inferiority thing. When I talk to my fencers I tell them not to buy the b*******t. If you start off thinking they're better by extension you're telling yourself you're worse and that breeds negativity.

It's not always about winning, put in the work, work hard and the winning will take care of itself. So the question I keep coming back to is: what does success look like?
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

If any body is interested in getting a closer look and a chance to ask questions of this coach, he will be at the inflight camp in late August . This is a two weapon (foil&tepee) camp in Germany , Bocholt. The camp 2018 will run up to the bank holiday.

Default Hungarian Epee Lesson

hello,

an example of Hungarian epee coaching at our club last yr
    ( there are also some useful accompanying notes on the website )
    mark

http://thefencingschool.com/video.php

Quote Originally Posted by plenty View Post
    hello,

an example of Hungarian epee coaching at our club last yr
    ( there are also some useful accompanying notes on the website )
    mark

http://thefencingschool.com/video.php
    Thanks Plenty.

If this was a 'High level foilist trying first epee lesson', is it a high level women's foilist who uses a french grip usually in foil, or if not what was the coaching thinking about starting her on a french grip?

Just interested in hearing your view on this..
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

At Klagenfurt the USA had a coach who was probably the best team piste side coach I have ever come across. Lots of positive noise, completely within the rules. He was coaching the USA team GB beat for the bronze medal so if anyone has any footage of that fight it would be quite educational I think.
    Last Competition: Bristol L8
    Next Competition: Dunno

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    Thanks Plenty.

If this was a 'High level foilist trying first epee lesson', is it a high level women's foilist who uses a french grip usually in foil, or if not what was the coaching thinking about starting her on a french grip?

Just interested in hearing your view on this..
    Yes it was the only épée that we had kicking around at club if I remember - obviously she would have really preferred pistol grip. Watching the lesson I think she did really well on assimilating -

( I think she had fenced some épée before once or twice and a couple of lessons but this was first Hungarian long one ) but that's as per grip no reason. Just couldn't find pistol