Thread: New regulation for masks

Default New regulation for masks

This is a message to all fie fencers that are hoping to go to the euros and worlds this year and then any fencer on the fie circuit next year.
    There has been an update on mask safety that has come into,effect with almost immediate effect for some. March not being that far away now.

There is a new back strap regulation. Please do not get caught out

Is this for all masks? Do you have a reference please?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Is this for all masks? Do you have a reference please?
    Right here Nick http://fie.org/fie/documents

Moving the strap to the bottom edge of the frame should've been done years ago (so the strap is under the occipital curve of the skull). I had it done for some masks I sold to a school about 5 years back.

Normally, this would make it very difficult for a fencer to put the strap over the tongue (where it then does absolutely NO good). If makers lengthen the tongue, however, I see that returning.

Remains to be seen if these will be applied to non-FIE masks...and who will adopt the change.

I guess the question remains about what this means for time spent getting masks on and off.

If you have to manually open and close the velcro every time (not clear how tight they will need to be) then it's going to be a bit slower every time. The additional mag strap on the X-Change masks is already annoying me, will be quite a hassle if we have to velcro AND mag strap in every time.

I guess the retrofit cost will be a factor as well - though we have some time to prepare for it.

Hokers,

Having used the mag strap since they came in, I don't consider it an inconvenience anymore: I use it every time I fence foil or sabre. I imagine that there was a similar response when back-straps came in!

My X-Change epee bib doesn't have the loops for the strap (I rarely fence epee anyhow), and it feels as odd as not needing a mask wire.

Familiarity is the key
    Only anarchists are trustworthy

Quote Originally Posted by J_D View Post
    Hokers,

Having used the mag strap since they came in, I don't consider it an inconvenience anymore: I use it every time I fence foil or sabre. I imagine that there was a similar response when back-straps came in!

My X-Change epee bib doesn't have the loops for the strap (I rarely fence epee anyhow), and it feels as odd as not needing a mask wire.

Familiarity is the key
    Really? The level of awkward is high for me still, albeit it's only on my competition mask so I don't use it at training.

I have to set up with sabre in hand, mask wire clipped on to test.
    Then I have to disconnect mask wire and specifically hold the magnet receiving tab outside (to prevent it being tucked in), while putting the mask on with both hands, one of which has a sabre in.
    Then I have to reach behind me with my left hand and correctly connect the mag strap, then put my mask wire on again.

Same at the minute break etc. Am not seeing this getting any easier with a velcro strap to do as well, also left handed.

At sabre, I remove the mask wire after testing, hold the mag clip in my non-sword hand as I hold the contour disc. I can then put the mask on with one hand, the clip is in my hand just by the receiving clip. Do it up and attach the mask wire and I'm ready to go.

Yes, it helps to make that the receiving clip is not folded into the mask
    Only anarchists are trustworthy

What’s the timescale for this and is it just for FIE events?

Looking at the pictures in the spec document it shows that the LP contour mask will need the additional strap too. That stops fencers lifting their mask during a bout to wipe away sweat/cool off.

I guess it will speed things up....

With regards to UK useage, LP have said that old masks will continue to be okay except where FIE kit is required. I have asked BF for some clarification and guidance on this as their site does not answer the question but have not yet received a response.

The biggest problem I can see is that the strap MUST use velcro and will need to be undone every time this is put on and removed this will cause the velcro to wear out quickly leading to masks which are more prone to coming off at an earlier point in their life than previously, a mechanical option would have offered a more consistent closure.

I really don't think it will speed anything up, rather the opposite, it will take longer to put on/ take off.