Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 better than 10?

Quote Originally Posted by paulwedge View Post
    I agree with Graham that we should move to 15 hits. This not only brings us in line with the senior fencing it also takes away the stigma that veterans fencers are in some way unable to do this. However this is only the tip of a bigger iceberg.

The level of international veterans fencing improves year on year and athlete conditioning is part and parcel part of this improvement. For those representing GB they should be in the best condition they can and this means training--pure and simple. Being a veterans fencer on the international stage should be motivation in itself to be the best you can. If training is not what you want to do then by all means fence recreationally, there is no stigma to that worthy aim. However lets try and get the best athletes representing our country at International events such as the World and Europeans and put in place a proper selection method (running a rolling ranking system--like the seniors) and a proper training set up (training camp/ fitness schedules).

I would also like to see us properly fund a more professional GB set up at say the Worlds and Europeans. This would involve a funded Team manager,Coach and Physio. This could be funded by both a levy on membership and a donation system being put in place. Lets stop being happy amateurs and adopt a more professional structure and set up fit for how International Vets fencing is rapidly becoming.If you want a glimpse of this in action now look at the USA Vets set up.

By way of getting this going could I suggest paper is presented to the membership on how we could achieve this?
    I see the creation of a GB Performance manager as the first step. I would have no hesitation in nominating Graham Paul (assuming he wants this !) to set the blue print for this renaissance of SUCCESSFUL GB veterans fencing. He has the passion and a huge amount of experience in formulating a successful strategy and structure.
    I welcome comments on this.
    Paul Wedge
    Have to agree with Paul. 15 hits is definitely the way to go as well as rolling ranking. We are once again shortly to have the ludicrous situation of a poule unique of first to 5 hits being used to select the bulk of our World Championship team. Totally wrong. The bulk of the membership voted for something different but because we had 3 options the 'majority' option won. We are winning medals but other countries at this level are much better organised and fitter than we are more generally and we won't continue to win these medals if we continue as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte_de_Bragelonne View Post
    15 hits is definitely the way to go
    Totally agree if the Euros and Worlds is also to 15

as well as rolling ranking.
    Looks like that may be happening which will be a step forward

We are once again shortly to have the ludicrous situation of a poule unique of first to 5 hits being used to select the bulk of our World Championship team. Totally wrong.
    Need proper ranking for selections

The bulk of the membership voted for something different but because we had 3 options the 'majority' option won.
    No comment, been there..

We are winning medals but other countries at this level are much better organised and fitter than we are more generally and we won't continue to win these medals if we continue as we are.
    I think we will still have a core of decent fencers who will be fencing regularly at Opens anyway, but certainly things could be done to make things better for our veteran fencers. Really think the ranking system would be a step forward as many fencers would be interested in trying to get up that ranking..
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Default I don't believe 15 or 10 is the issue.

I fence in one of the largest of categories, ME 50-59. Looking at me and the other fencers in my category taking part in the qualifiers this year, Iím not sure that changing the number of hits from 10 to 15, changing the selection method from one to another, (and back again) insisting we go on camps or pass fitness tests is actually going to make much difference to how I and the others in my group will get on at the individual World Veterans championships. My experience when I qualified and got there a couple of times recently was I was competing against some fairly top fencers. Itís quite possible they have competed for their countries in Senior World or Olympic Championships and perhaps done quite well. If they didnít make their senior national teams, then maybe itís only because they were kept out by fencers even better than they were.

If you look at our fencers who do well at Vets World Championships, itís often those who have competed for GBR at senior level, at World Championships and Olympics. I think we might get better results at the VWCs, not by trying to improve the standard of me and the existing fencers, and getting us to do different things, but by approaching fencers of the right age who are not currently fencing in Vets events, but have have represented GBR at senior level, ideally at World Championships and Olympics, and encouraging them to take part in Veteran events.

It is possible for someone currently in my ME 50-59 age group to go the World Vets, have a good day and do well there. But I think itís more likely weíll get a VWC winner if someone has previously been a top senior GBR fencer who has had a lot of top class international experience.

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by annashetty View Post
    15 would advantage the younger vets
    Sadly this is true though of importance primarily in open VETs events. But having had my scalp taken this past weekend by a 17 year old leftie female in an open I've been forced to accept the facts of life. I had her up to 11 at the end of the 2nd period but in the 3rd period she was still dancing on the strip whilst I was huffing and puffing. After the 15:13 finale, I went and sat down to contemplate breathing for the next 30 minutes while after the regulation 10 minute break she went on to face a 17 year old male. Who put a stop to her dancing. My point though is that 15 touches is 50% more fencing. Whilst those of you in the 40-50 year old brackets may still be fooling yourselves about still being on the up swing athletically, we VET 70 types have had to realize that the curve is distinctly down. And the additional 50%, if done properly at full energy output. quickly exhausts, leaving you with issues when you are called to the next bout. Then luck and the order of battle become even more determinant of who wins. In my 5 times at VET Worlds with the 10 touch format I never really got winded and I'm reasonably happy to stay with 10 touches.

Just one vote against changing the International standard.