Thread: British Fencing Championships and BBC sport?

Forum Rabbit

Default British Fencing Championships and BBC sport?

Just going through BBC sport and see the British National Championships of squash are being streamed live:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/squash/43039376

I just wondered if it's ever been looked into, whether the British Fencing Championship finals could be streamed or even made available online (other than youtube).

I'm sure it has been conceived of before, but wonder what the biggest barriers are right now?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    Just going through BBC sport and see the British National Championships of squash are being streamed live:

I just wondered if it's ever been looked into, whether the British Fencing Championship finals could be streamed or even made available online (other than youtube).

I'm sure it has been conceived of before, but wonder what the biggest barriers are right now?
    Oh gosh. Fencing is far too elitist for the BBC.
    "CHANGE OF PLAN! LEG IT!!!"

It's something that should definitely be looked into, I mean live streaming should be possible on the BBC, it's not like we are wanting a precious channel - because before the Winter Olympics arrival BBC2 seemed to be the dedicated channel of damn carpet bowls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post

Was it not partially streamed last year? Maybe I'm misremembering that.

The British championships aren't (and shouldn't) be just another tournament in another hall. It should be showcase of the sport.

People appear to be under the impression that streaming is just something you "switch on". There's much more to it than that. First of all you want to consider why? Yes we might want to watch it but why do we want to stream it? Do we want to show the world British Fencing as an entertaining forward thinking sport or do we just want to show it to the handful of fencers who actually would watch it?

No matter what the answers to those questions are you then need to consider HOW you want to do it. What infrastructure do you need, how much money do you have, which media organisation will you bring in (sorry BF you don't have the skills to do this yourself) etc,

You need to ask yourself what you want it to look like. Where you will host it and so on.

This is all something you start doing far in advance of the actual tournament. You also want to consider how you want to fund it. If you asked a fencer which of the two things you want: referees or streaming fencing? What do you think the answer would be?

I really don't want to read anyone saying "Just use an iphone" because you need to think much harder than that. Mexico broadcast, via Facebook, a world cup on an iphone and if you've not seen it I suggest you go watch that. Then ask yourself whether this is how you want the sport perceived.

For the record I think that we WILL stream the Championships in the very near future.

Yes I do know the Italian and (I think) French federations stream their national championships every year. But these are countries which have strong support for the sport in those countries. That's something we don't have here. The French Federation stream a number of tournaments every year and arguably do it better than everyone else that I've seen. If you have the time go to Paris and see the CIP. It's worth it.

ps. it is extremely unlikely that the BBC will turn up to a fencing tournament in the UK any time soon.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Of course I think it's something that has to be carried out by BF itself, and has to be carried out professionally. As Gav has said an iPhone won't cut it. Now whether we have access to equipment or it would be an additional cost to running the event that's something that has to be looked into.
    The streaming could be used by BF and the HCNGB's to promote the sport in a very positive light.
    But then perhaps we stumble into the arguements of the Championships being a closed elite event with only the top fencers being present and that being made compulsory.

SF did a great job with the Commonwealth Championships 4 years ago so the knowledge and know how is there to be tapped into. Even if it is on just cost or general ideas.

But it's definitely something the Sport and perhaps the Championships would benefit from.