Thread: Sport 80 Anonymity for U18

Default Sport 80 Anonymity for U18

Having not had cause to use Sport 80 for a while I was slightly taken aback to spot that all U18 entries now just show as Under 18 with no reference to the fencers name. Is this a new development or just something I have missed?

Part of the interest in competition entry used to be seeing who else was going, however entry for younger age group events now list everyone as U18 entry.

Is this the start of a change where the new British or Cadet Champion is published as ‘Under 18 entry’? Will ranking lists now also have ‘Under 18’ for every younger fencer, including senior ranking, but in their entirety for Cadet ranking - and a selection list of Under 18 fencers heading abroad. Let’s hope our Euro organisers don’t then breach confidentiality by publishing the names of British Fencers.

Not quite sure what advantage is being gained here .....

Thoughts anyone???

Just been told offline that this change is new in the last couple of days.

Presumably something agreed with BF by Sport 80, so I guess rankings will indeed be next to go ‘anonymous’.

Watch this space. And congratulations to the anonymous U18 British Cadet Champions of the future.

Absolutely ridiculous. You can't even check your own child's entry. Wonder how much BF paid some "bright" GDPR consultant to come up with this solution? I'm afraid my personal view of Sport80 is back to where it was when we first had to start using it - It's a terrible platform with a horrendous user interface and I still hope it dies quickly so we can get something better for the fencing community

The FAQs on the BF site include the following around GDPRs:

What if my club organises events, do we need to add anything to booking form?

Yes, as data regarding an individual’s results will be passed to other organisations to publish, the individual entering the event needs to be aware of this. Therefore, if you organise an event, to comply with the GDPR, event organisers should include the following wording on event entry forms:

"You agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to any governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, licences or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club/home country/regional/county affiliation, results, age category, penalties."

So I guess that Sport 80 haven’t changed their consents, but have applied a data block, but only to U18’s. Maybe this week it will say Over 18 for everyone else as the dataset gets changed.

Or ..... apply the correct consent and some common sense. Cause right now, if Sport 80 are concerned about their permissions then no results can be published for any event booked through their system as according to the BF FAQs they would be breaching regulations.

BF GDPR advice (not specifically for U18’s!!!):

http://www.britishfencing.com/governance/gdpr_advice/

I would suggest that Mr & Mrs Under-Eighteen should contact S80 immediately as the twins appear to have been signed up for multiple entries in the British Championships and there may be a large refund due.

Is this practice to continue at the competitions as it would seem that to show poule lists and d/e tableaux might result in someone posting photos on social media which would render the careful non-disclosures redundant? Would be strange to turn up on a piste being completely unclear as to who one was due to fight. Will the calls be "would Master or Miss Under-Eighteen please go to Piste x now"? One suspects that confusion might ensue.

Perhaps the Under-Eighteen children could be encouraged to keep their masks on all day so that no one would ever become aware of who they were.

Would make Cadet & Junior selection less open to query of course as the team names would simply be shown as....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post

Not quite sure what advantage is being gained here .....

Thoughts anyone???
    It's a child protection thing, surely?

If there was a child that was estranged from one parent and they were a fencer, you don't want that other parent knowing where they will be. Maybe they follow them home and find the new address they're not supposed to know, maybe anything. We've got fencers competing from a young age and some steps to ensure their safety should be taken, it's just how far you go.

You could probably get away with showing the NIF value of the fencer and then using initials on the day?

Lead Performance Coach at Nottingham University

This isn't just causing problems in fencing. My wife is a Guiding Commissioner and the updated rules on their database system and what they can keep on paper etc are crazy.

I am all in favour of child protection fairly obviously, but I worry that the sense of proportionality has gone out of the window.
    British Fencing AASE Assessor
    British Fencing Coach Developer

Veteran Foil Champion of Szombathely 2015 and 2016!!

Well I took the step last night as parent and guardian of an Under 18 requesting Sport80 make my child's details visible. As in the same thought of "right to be forgotten" surely you can request to "to be remembered".

I have just had a reply stating that BF under 18's will be visible again by the end of play today. No explanation though it sounds like as they handle several sports it was applied across the board when it did not need to be.

Normal service appears to have resumed.

Although this blip only affected U18 fencers, one has to assume that it was driven by the changes in data protection regs, in which case it would have affected everybody.

It does show the challenges that still might happen if no individual details can be shown around competition entries, results or rankings. We must ensure that the correct permissions are in place across the Sport to stop the recent blip becoming the new reality. A bit of a wake up call maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick E View Post
    Normal service appears to have resumed.
    It would seem that another governing body had asked Sport 80 for this change and it rolled over for BF and got reversed once they were aware.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

It would appear U18's have gone anonymous on Sport80 again. Have messaged BF to let them know.

I was told yesterday by Sport80 that they turned something off by accident during an update.
    Doesn’t sound like it was driven by anything, just an error ?!?