Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Selection Proposal Consultation

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    Yes, they are mentioned, but only in a comment querying whether they should be included. I'm not sure it warrants such a curt response.
    Just pointing out they are mentioned and was not in a position to post more. Nothing curt meant, just pointing out.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

I think the point is a valid one. Why are we ignoring the Satellite circuit which was specifically designed for the purpose of enabling fencers who can't make it at WC level to fence internationally.
    At the risk of answering my own question, I anticipate that this is because a lot of the European Satellites (MS) are substantially weaker than even some domestic events. Or perhaps a cynical individual might hypothesise that BF had entered into some kind of commercial agreement with the U23 organisers. (If this is the case it should absolutely be disclosed)
    The great thing about the Under 23 ranking circuit events is that anyone can enter, without and need to go through British Fencing as entry is direct. That saves lots of hassle, worrying abut referees and the such.

These are are easier events to attend, and give a great exposure to fencing abroad. All very positive.

On further thought I think that it is a very good idea to have our top fencers getting a little bit more international exposure before going on to A-grade level. If you can't make it at the U23s then you probably won't be getting much out of a World Cup.
    To true..

However I still don't understand the inclusion of the two junior fencers. As we know our Juniors (generally) don't outperform our seniors so why have we decided that it is imperative that they get a free ticket to world cup fencing? I don't think this approach is adopted in any of the fencing nations we aspire to mimic..
    Juniors who get regular decent results at Under 20 World Cup level are far more likely to perform well at Senior World Cups than someone doing the whole Open circuit and scratching into 10th on the GB rankings in most weapons.

Either way as I have said a couple of times on this thread. The real effect of these changes will depend completely upon the decisions of the weapon leaders, giving them the opportunity to pick and chose what qualifies an individual to make the B squad, which I thought was something we all wanted to move away from..........
    Send in your concerns - From announcement on BF site "This proposal is being made available to the community for comment and can be found here. The consultation will end on 23/4/2018.

ALL responses must be received in writing by email to headoffice@brtishfencing.com with Senior Selection Consultation Response in the subject field."

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    The great thing about the Under 23 ranking circuit events is that anyone can enter, without and need to go through British Fencing as entry is direct. That saves lots of hassle, worrying abut referees and the such.
    Looking closer at some of the event info, entries do now need to go through BF..

Bump

Only have until monday to get your responses in.

I'm going to make the following points I have made above:

Ultimately, this is not necessary. The problem of fencers burning money on failing to make the cut should be handled in a different way than by selection rules - these should be to ensure fairness, not exclude people.

Current 10+2 based on rankings seems popular and makes it clear what the objectives are. Gives everyone a clear target and routes to get there.

Satellite level is missing from the Levels of Competition table (other than a query about results from them). This is a pretty serious omission.

Up to 5 Juniors getting places by default is not required. If they're good enough, they should be doing senior competitions anyway.

It might be valid to make a minimum domestic standard to qualify for satellites, to give a goal to those people outside groups A+B

It might be better to enforce group A to attend 3 domestic comps a year (could include domestic satellites) rather than switch back from 4 International comps counting in the rankings to 3.

Should have some criteria about L96 that didn't make the cut not counting as this will happen sometimes. Equally with walkover victories/retirements.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Thumbs up

Submitted mine a few days ago