Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: British Championships

Forum Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It's also not good to have cameras you need good people sorting the footage. Everyone forgets about having quality people.
    Agreed, Quality people across the board is what makes a national a showcase.
    I would also have the two guys from The Fencing Podcast there doing live interviews (keep up the good work) in addition to the streaming and commentators. Karim did a great job interviewing Richard (a day of training and it's a day of good training) Kruse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75py...tu.be&t=50m43s. A coin challenge and few other games. (Think different formats / presentations - as a wise forumer once said).

Headcams remind me of Doom in terms of point of view.
    GoPro have a promotional video. "Two Roads" Fencing with Miles Chamley-Watson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733ITpn6lG4
    High quality and lots of editing. Putting aside the monologue sequences and retakes. There are around 5-6 points of view used at different speeds of play back but quite a lot is gimbal roughly where the referee is likely to be.

I came across a camera system which basically tracks wrist bands automatically. That would be interesting for fencing. I can see something like this coupled with the scoring machine working quite well.

There are also a few selfie drones out there too but that reminds me of the line from Top Gun. "What Iím about to tell you is classified. It could end my career. We were in the worst dogfight I ever dreamed of. There were bogeys like fireflies all over the sky. His F-4 was hit, and he was wounded, but he couldíve made it back. He stayed in it, saved three planes before he bought it."

There's a bit of a disconnect between the start of this conversation where we are talking about how the competition is struggling to make ends meet and the end of the conversation where people are talking about fixing cameras to fencers, lighting up their shoes and employing professional drone pilots to film the entire event.

Forum Rabbit

Apologies this had occurred to me more than once on this thread but then I believe the thread started with the where are the live scores and great to be able to see all the finals on a video stream to why no video replay which then morphed into the why refs don't get paid, costs of running the nationals and losing money, sponsorship and how to improve the nationals (several times).

So back to the first theme on this thread. Great to see the live scores and the finals all streamed live. Shame we didn't get to hear interviews from all the winners and coaches, nice to hear from Richard Kruse, hopefully next time all winners will be interviewed (congrats to all). It doesn't grab me as being too costly to do (as the streaming and mics are already there). It is perhaps something that helps with the presentation of the sport to explain/create a story and the magic of an Errol Flynn film (never seen one - sorry). Yes, I would have liked to see a lot more video try a bodycam with or without a mic on the referee.

A small aside I was referring to a self flying selfie drone. They should not need a pilot they follow you around automatically. The same can be true of other camera setups (a bit more costly) not involving drones and yes if I had access to glass piste I would have considered that too. Twitch should not have worked but it does (now part of Amazon). Its just not cricket. I am aware that most Twitch channels are now professional and run by experts. Max Heizner (marmite) always seems to have someone in the audience streaming his fights to Facebook. He then uses clips and slo-mo from the official stream later to create his own personal brand/story.

If I were going back to the costs theme within this thread then apologies I'm not in the camp of diminishing returns with regards to the costs for technology on the nationals if its used for showcasing. If streaming or live-ish scores were stopped I think that would be bad news. With regards to costs in general I can't see too many cost saving opportunities besides moving venue location. I really liked Nottingham.

That's my take on the whole thread apologies if they seem disconnected - I'm not sure they are.