Thread: BYC Referee Appeal

Default BYC Referee Appeal

It's that time of year again & my appeal for referees for the BYCs in Sheffield. It's the first May bank holiday weekend, 5th - 7th May.

The following minimum number of referees are required:

Foil Referees

Saturday - 4
    Monday - 4

Epee Referees

Saturday - 1
    Monday - 8

Sabre Referees

Saturday - 3
    Sunday - 2
    Monday - 2

Your expenses will be covered included hotel for multiple days, travel & food. The timetable is looking pretty slick this year having moved things around so if we get enough referees we will have some very civilised finishing times.

If you can referee please either email me or British Fencing and put in the subject line BYC Referee Enquiry

Not as big of a response as I would have hoped for. We are still short of referees for all days, details below.

This is the minimum number of referees required to prevent self-refereeing at this years BYCs

Foil Referees

Saturday - 4
    Monday - 4

Epee Referees

Saturday - 1
    Monday - 7

Sabre Referees

Saturday - 2
    Sunday - 1
    Monday - 1

My appeals now seem to be having the opposite effect with referees dropping out of all weapons.

This event won't be worth running soon

Required referees below

Foil Referees

Saturday - 4
    Monday - 4

Epee Referees

Saturday - 3
    Monday - 9

Sabre Referees

Saturday - 3
    Sunday - 2
    Monday - 2

I know this doesn't help for this year, and it's probably been suggested every year since the dawn of time - but - maybe BF could drop the u18 category, compress the remaining age groups into 2 days and use the money saved on the venue hire to fund the extra manpower needed to make it work in 2 days. As this does seem to be an annual problem, maybe it is time to consider a such a change.

Quote Originally Posted by danKew View Post
    I know this doesn't help for this year, and it's probably been suggested every year since the dawn of time - but - maybe BF could drop the u18 category, compress the remaining age groups into 2 days and use the money saved on the venue hire to fund the extra manpower needed to make it work in 2 days. As this does seem to be an annual problem, maybe it is time to consider a such a change.
    In the old days this was the British School Championships, so traditionalists will want it to go up to the Under 18 age-group.

It is enjoyed by the under 18s though in the run of things it is not that important for gbr selections etc..

The big issue with finding referees/ staff is that events need to be based where there are the referees to attend. Part of the benefit from the eyc’s moving down from Stoke I suspect, lower referee cost exceeding the extra venue costs...
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing