Thread: Competition Entries....

Default Competition Entries....

I have a question for the wider fencing community;

Lately there have been a number of competitions that have had to be postponed or cancelled due to lack of numbers/interest.

Back in olden times there was the Sword magazine landing on your doorstep once a quarter. You excitedly flicked through to the entry forms, filled them in, sent them off and turned up on the day and fought whoever had entered. Now though you can see the entry list before committing your entry.

Is this making you hang back before entering to see who else has entered, if it's worth entering, view the entry numbers?

Is it that there are too many competitions on the calendar and it's all a bit confusing?!

Possible solutions would be:
    1/ Blind entry which we do for some competitions
    2/ No entry information AT ALL
    3/ You can only view the entry list AFTER you have registered
    4/ Leave it as it is and stop fretting.....

General thoughts would be appreciated!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSwiffin View Post
    Is this making you hang back before entering to see who else has entered, if it's worth entering, view the entry numbers?
    Yes. Guilty. There is one comp at the moment we're holding out on entering because the entry is a bit on the low side - and for the 3 hour round trip + cost of entry, it's currently not worth doing. Not particularly fussed about who's actually entered, it's more about numbers.

The solution, IMO, is probably not one organisers would want to implement, but here goes ... and I'm sure I've mentioned this before; Publish details of the event, and like Facebook events, have an option to select 'interested' or 'definitely going', but don't actually formally accept entries until 2 weeks prior to the start of the event. That way everyone can see who's considering going - I do think that some events do fall short because we're all sat there looking at entry numbers not going up and deciding not to go as a result of that. If we knew 30 were interested, for example, then we'd all have greater confidence in good turnout. Whereas at the moment 30 might be interested, but if only 4 have entered the remaining 26 don't bother and wait for another day.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSwiffin View Post
    I have a question for the wider fencing community;

Lately there have been a number of competitions that have had to be postponed or cancelled due to lack of numbers/interest.

Is it that there are too many competitions on the calendar and it's all a bit confusing?!

Possible solutions would be:
    1/ Blind entry which we do for some competitions
    2/ No entry information AT ALL
    3/ You can only view the entry list AFTER you have registered
    4/ Leave it as it is and stop fretting.....
    I would say that the quality of competition organisation is improving quite dramatically from those at the higher levels to more local opens. So if you get a poor experience, with lots of delays, very early starts and late finishes, fencers have a choice of whether to go next time, because yes, there are more competitions about in some weapons. There are also more purpose built environments for competitions that also enhance experience.

Many competitions seem to have a following so have a core attendance regardless of what else is going on. I think anyone wanting to start a new competition needs to bring a local following or have a cause that it is supporting or folk may well wait to see who books in.

Blind entry - doesnít seem to have particularly worked when tested at the LP Centre even when associated with cheaper entry. Folk do want to know that there will be a decent crowd so worth attending.

No entry info at all - leads to fencers contacting the organiser to see if their entry arrived, particularly when having to travel. Not great these days.

You can only see after entering - not sure this helps as you may not want to enter if you think numbers are low.

Basically I think itís down to publicity being out early - for example Iím sure there are comps in early September but not showing on BF website so hard to plan anything. Have a good reputation and / or good value for money - two rounds of poules if time allows not fill the time with gaps. And have a following. And not too many comps week on week in the same area maybe, so better coordination and planning by organisers communicating with each other. That sort of thing.

Has anyone considered that there are dwindling competition numbers for smaller comps because there is dwindling participation in the sport as a whole.

I also think that it's because smaller competitions don't really count for anything so people don't bother showing up. This IMHO is because there is no 'gradient achievement spectrum' in the UK. By that I mean you are either in the national team or you aren't, there is no in-between.

Qualification for regional/county teams are largely arbitrary which saps the motivation for people to attend smaller competitions which may previously have been used to qualify for events such as Winton or Excalibur.

A lack of focused drive to see more people participating (from grass roots) as well as poor incentive to do competitions which don't carry massive ranking points is what is causing this I fear.

Attendance at least in foil seems to have risen this season. I would imagine this is linked to it being a commonwealth year and also selections for world cups now being connected to rankings