Thread: Spam levels

Default Spam levels

Any chance we could put some captcha in or something?

Am reporting spam very regularly now, need to stop it at source.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Any chance we could put some captcha in or something?

Am reporting spam very regularly now, need to stop it at source.
    There is googles captcha2 and a question that only an english speaker could answer. It is hard to see what more we can do...

We are open to suggestions but I am not sure what more we can do.

We had fencing specific questions for a while and that worked well but eventually stopped being effective. I think the bots that do this may have some sort of database of correct answers.

Most of the spam ends up coming from people paid to spam boards so sadly Captcha will only be so effective. The best way to reduce these is to limit new users, requiring the first few posts to be moderated before going live, sadly this requires more effort from the moderation team.

I have found Project Honey Pot is an effective tool. You may of course be using it already.
    Edward Peck

Seriously. It's getting to the stage where one in three posts is spam now. Obviously these are people being paid to post but surely there must be some way to block them, even if it is just more active moderators.

I have removed the blog as much of the spam was on that. I will monitor and then decide how to move on.

Default Is the Forum dead?

The number of posts has dropped dramatically in recent months, from a very small number of users. There's only been one post in over 24hrs and it's just spam. Has the Forum had its day?
    "CHANGE OF PLAN! LEG IT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    The number of posts has dropped dramatically in recent months, from a very small number of users. There's only been one post in over 24hrs and it's just spam. Has the Forum had its day?
    No, it's jus that there are other things going on, competition season is all but over.
    World Cup, Wimbledon, T20 Cricket etc. And it's miles too hot to fence at the moment.

There will be another surge of interest when the Worlds start on the 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    No, it's jus that there are other things going on, competition season is all but over.
    World Cup, Wimbledon, T20 Cricket etc. And it's miles too hot to fence at the moment.

There will be another surge of interest when the Worlds start on the 19th.
    Hope you are right, aside from touting smaller competitions and posting of results (which I am appreciative of) there doesn't seem to be much of a forum community on here anymore.

Maybe people just don't care or maybe the age of social media has made the forum obsolete.

Guys it's a tricky one. FB has (IS) hollowed out forums in general. There are lots of 1-2-1 discussions (or discussions within small self selecting groups) but much less exchange within the communities in general. I think it's a problem and will potentially become even more so in the medium-long term.

I'm not sure what we can do to turn that around. Open to ideas...

Note that this is a problem for just about every topic that has a forum on the internet.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

It does seem to be the case that casual use of fora in general has gone down as FB and other social media has grown.

they do provide a niche that I think is valuable. There is a lot of content here that is collated in one place and I think it provides a valuable resource.

I don't think user numbers will ever go back to the level they were 5 years ago but it will continue to have a purpose.

Default Angular Js Training Institute in Chennai

AngularJS Training in Chennai with highly experienced Professionals. CREDO SYSTEMZ is the best place to learn AngularJS Training in Chennai. We are also Ranked No.1 AngularJS Training Institute in Chennai, Velachery according to the reviews across the Internet. AngularJS Training in Chennai offering at CREDO SYSTEMZ is purely job oriented with real-time projects.
    <a href=https://www.credosystemz.com/training-in-chennai/best-angularjs-training-in-chennai/> Angular JS Training in Chennai</a> | <a href=https://www.credosystemz.com/training-in-chennai/best-angularjs-training-in-chennai/> Angular JS Training Institute in Chennai</a>

Quote Originally Posted by sridharmohan View Post
    Even I am facing the same problem.
    Wait....Is this a spam bot complaining about the levels of Spam?