Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam levels

Default Spam levels

Any chance we could put some captcha in or something?

Am reporting spam very regularly now, need to stop it at source.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Any chance we could put some captcha in or something?

Am reporting spam very regularly now, need to stop it at source.
    There is googles captcha2 and a question that only an english speaker could answer. It is hard to see what more we can do...

We are open to suggestions but I am not sure what more we can do.

We had fencing specific questions for a while and that worked well but eventually stopped being effective. I think the bots that do this may have some sort of database of correct answers.

Most of the spam ends up coming from people paid to spam boards so sadly Captcha will only be so effective. The best way to reduce these is to limit new users, requiring the first few posts to be moderated before going live, sadly this requires more effort from the moderation team.

I have found Project Honey Pot is an effective tool. You may of course be using it already.
    Edward Peck

Seriously. It's getting to the stage where one in three posts is spam now. Obviously these are people being paid to post but surely there must be some way to block them, even if it is just more active moderators.

I have removed the blog as much of the spam was on that. I will monitor and then decide how to move on.

Default Is the Forum dead?

The number of posts has dropped dramatically in recent months, from a very small number of users. There's only been one post in over 24hrs and it's just spam. Has the Forum had its day?
    "CHANGE OF PLAN! LEG IT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    The number of posts has dropped dramatically in recent months, from a very small number of users. There's only been one post in over 24hrs and it's just spam. Has the Forum had its day?
    No, it's jus that there are other things going on, competition season is all but over.
    World Cup, Wimbledon, T20 Cricket etc. And it's miles too hot to fence at the moment.

There will be another surge of interest when the Worlds start on the 19th.

No, it's jus that there are other things going on, competition season is all but over.
    World Cup, Wimbledon, T20 Cricket etc. And it's miles too hot to fence at the moment.

There will be another surge of interest when the Worlds start on the 19th.
    Hope you are right, aside from touting smaller competitions and posting of results (which I am appreciative of) there doesn't seem to be much of a forum community on here anymore.

Maybe people just don't care or maybe the age of social media has made the forum obsolete.

Guys it's a tricky one. FB has (IS) hollowed out forums in general. There are lots of 1-2-1 discussions (or discussions within small self selecting groups) but much less exchange within the communities in general. I think it's a problem and will potentially become even more so in the medium-long term.

I'm not sure what we can do to turn that around. Open to ideas...

Note that this is a problem for just about every topic that has a forum on the internet.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

It does seem to be the case that casual use of fora in general has gone down as FB and other social media has grown.

they do provide a niche that I think is valuable. There is a lot of content here that is collated in one place and I think it provides a valuable resource.

I don't think user numbers will ever go back to the level they were 5 years ago but it will continue to have a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sridharmohan View Post
    Even I am facing the same problem.
    Wait....Is this a spam bot complaining about the levels of Spam?

Wait....Is this a spam bot complaining about the levels of Spam?
    Spamception...

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I think there are a couple of issues with this forum (and other similar forums I have been a member of).

Firstly, access when compared to social media, in particular, Facebook. Far easier to just visit Facebook and keep up to date via various pages and groups than it is to visit various seperate forums and in most case it is on your phone so when you have a spare few mintues very easy to access. Also, a lot of people don't know it exists.

Secondly, there is a bit of an image problem. When you mention Fencing Forum to some people the terms you tend to hear (toned down slightly) are disrepectful comments and full of "keyboard warriors". Certainly seen this in the past where discussion get slightly out of hand and/or people jump on mistakes made. However, not noticed this recently.

Therefore, perhaps it has had its day and the admins should look at creating a Facebook Group to run in parallel for a while and see what gets the most traction and then decide if it is time to call it a day.

Not saying we still will not have spam issues or discussion that out of hand. Just these would be easier to access .

Although the forum may be past its heady days leading up to 2012, I prefer it to Facebook.
    I check it every day as it is specific to my interest in fencing and it would be a shame for it to succumb to pseudo economic factors.

There have been some great debates recently on the Vets section sparked by some controversial remarks.
    Generally there seems to be a lack of fencing controversy at the moment so perhaps that is why things are quiet.

" I wouldn't have got where I am today without 'The Fencing Forum'.......

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjoy View Post
    I think there are a couple of issues with this forum (and other similar forums I have been a member of).

Firstly, access when compared to social media, in particular, Facebook. Far easier to just visit Facebook and keep up to date via various pages and groups than it is to visit various seperate forums and in most case it is on your phone so when you have a spare few mintues very easy to access. Also, a lot of people don't know it exists.

Secondly, there is a bit of an image problem. When you mention Fencing Forum to some people the terms you tend to hear (toned down slightly) are disrepectful comments and full of "keyboard warriors". Certainly seen this in the past where discussion get slightly out of hand and/or people jump on mistakes made. However, not noticed this recently.

Therefore, perhaps it has had its day and the admins should look at creating a Facebook Group to run in parallel for a while and see what gets the most traction and then decide if it is time to call it a day.

Not saying we still will not have spam issues or discussion that out of hand. Just these would be easier to access .
    I also prefer it to facebook.i find having to check lots different pages and groups on Facebook time consuming.i keep a tab open on the activity stream of fencing forum on my iPad and just check that page every few days, much simpler. I wouldn't like to see it move to facebook

I personally like the Forum because it saves information posted on a particular topic for other people to see at any time, which is also good at creating discussions. Everything that gets posted gets read again and again. I also like the fact that it rarely turns into heated arguments as people have time to research and consider their comments before replying, and overall there is a great deal of top quality information here. I personally don’t find Facebook gives you the same.

I admit the spam levels are so high, that I no longer visit as frequently as I did. I now sometimes scan the last post and if I see possible spam replies I don’t even venture onto a thread but log out. A shame as you all have so much knowledge to share and it is a good resource and I shouldn’t let the mindless spam posts keep me away ... but when so many replies are spam I feel there is little point viewing.

Regarding spam ...
    For new people wanting to post could they register by giving their email address and names, this might put spammers off. Can a new ‘member’ post perhaps 5 times before it is allowed? If spam is reviewed and removed on a daily basis would this help? If the spammer wants us to follow their links is there a way to block their links? I am no IT expert, and hopefully things can improve if we all report the spam post as soon as it is put up, so the spammer feels there is no point using the Forum. It’s a good Forum.

Facebook is basically destroying any diversity in online forums.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Lead Performance Coach at Nottingham University

My Spam levels were going down, until bought a new tin from Tesco.

Ironically, this post is in itself Spam.
    British Fencing AASE Assessor
    British Fencing Coach Developer

Veteran Foil Champion of Szombathely 2015 and 2016!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencingforever View Post
    ........ I admit the spam levels are so high, that I no longer visit as frequently as I did. ..........
    I suspect that this is the main thing putting people off going onto the forum as often as they used to - too many times these days, you log-on to find half the threads have been hi-jacked by new accounts with links to something they want to sell.

Why can't the admin not control new account holders by vetting their first five or six posts, as is common on other forums - it would certainly weed out most of the twaddle that turns up on here!