Thread: The Essex Open.

Default The Essex Open.

Does anyone know if the guys from Colchester are any further forward in finding a date for one of our historical opens after BF took over their weekend?
    I don't envy the task of any competition organisers over the first 2 months of next season, as it appears that all weapons Satellites are crammed into the months of September and October on FIE's suggested Calendar, not sure if that's set in stone but does seem a tad unbalanced.

As far as I am aware The Essex Open will not be running this year. As many of us are aware The Essex Open has been run on the second weekend of September for a very long time, if not, for most of the years (40) that it has been running. British Fencing with little to no dialogue with the organising committee (of The Essex) arranged the Cadet and Junior Championships for that weekend. Having so many fencers, referees, coaches etc attending the Cadet/Junior Championships, the clash would undoubtedly have affected the entry numbers,refereeing/DT and armoury options for The Essex. The organising committee (of The Essex) did ask if the Eastern Region committee could help organise and run it but we (as a very small group of volunteers) simply do not have the time to assist as we already spend so much of our spare time as volunteers at regional and county events.

Such a shame

David Cook
    Eastern Region

Thanks for the update David, we have been attending the Essex for all most a Decade. Always a great tournament and has always been one of the big domestic competitions for WF Pts wise.
    It's a shame that BF has scuppered the Essex for this Season and I for one hope it returns in the future even stronger.