Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Senior European Championships 2018 - Novi Sad

  1. #41
    ***** Legend hokers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woking/Guildford
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    if you're not going to fund your teams throughout the year it's probably not worth entering the team events to be honest.
    To clarify this slightly, I mean not worth entering those weapons which don't normally do the team events circuit MF and MS are entering them all pretty reliably so have built up a ranking over the previous year.

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    To clarify this slightly, I mean not worth entering those weapons which don't normally do the team events circuit MF and MS are entering them all pretty reliably so have built up a ranking over the previous year.
    I guess there is the age old argument that 'somebody needs to come last'.

    If every nation who didn't think they could get an L8 didn't go to the competition you would only have 8 countries participating.

    Did we actually manage to get a L8 anywhere outside of MF? If not, and given the limited scope of competition that's quite disappointing.

    Good to see us doing better in this competition though. Would not imagine a lot of money went into sending athletes so the juice probably worth the squeeze.

  3. #43
    ***** Legend hokers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woking/Guildford
    Posts
    3,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    If every nation who didn't think they could get an L8 didn't go to the competition you would only have 8 countries participating.

    Did we actually manage to get a L8 anywhere outside of MF? If not, and given the limited scope of competition that's quite disappointing.
    Yeah, but if it's cost an extra 3k for 4 fencers and a coach to stay/eat/train 3 more nights, plus the entry fee, it might have been better to spend the money on individual lessons. Mens Epee team had ONE match for that cost. Even after Harrison's great individual result, we have no-one in the top 100 in the world, so it's a mountain to climb.

    It's rare for us to make team L8 at Euros or Worlds outside MFT. (exception being in WFT where there are sometimes 8 or fewer entries)
    MST Euros 2016 and WST vs China a few years back are the only exceptions I can remember.
    It was very close MST vs Ukraine though, could have won that on another day.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Yeah, but if it's cost an extra 3k for 4 fencers and a coach to stay/eat/train 3 more nights, plus the entry fee, it might have been better to spend the money on individual lessons. Mens Epee team had ONE match for that cost. Even after Harrison's great individual result, we have no-one in the top 100 in the world, so it's a mountain to climb.

    It's rare for us to make team L8 at Euros or Worlds outside MFT. (exception being in WFT where there are sometimes 8 or fewer entries)
    MST Euros 2016 and WST vs China a few years back are the only exceptions I can remember.
    It was very close MST vs Ukraine though, could have won that on another day.
    With the state of funding at the moment I completely agree. I personally didn't think NGB would be funding this, just thought they would be giving team members the opportunity to go. If we are funding from money which could be spent elsewhere seems pretty obvious that we shouldn't be sending teams which are severely underpowered.

    Is there a qualification system for the teams? e.g. teams must have X number of athletes in the top 100 in the world or team members must have cumulatively achieved X number of L32 finishes. Perhaps that would make sense.

    Agree that with the limited money we have we should be putting it where it will have most impact.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    "I guess there is the age old argument that 'somebody needs to come last'."

    You are absolutely correct, however the important thing is to have a cohesive plan to get better.

    "Good to see us doing better in this competition though."

    You've gotta be kidding.

    The MF and MS teams can hold their own at international level. This as a result of a number of years of investment and hard work by the athletes themselves.

    In other weapons one team got only one win over a team that had 3 of their fencers in the bottom 10 of the individual, while another had one of their wins over a team whose fencers came last, 2nd to last, and 3rd to last in the individual. (Thank God Serbia decided to enter teams!!!)

    Currently, GB is not competitive in the team events at any of the other 4 weapons and there appears to be no plan to improve other than plodding along in the same fashion as previously.

    I also have concerns over our MF team. They clearly struggle at the top level without RK. In addition, 2 members are fencing in the US and KC is 37(?).

    Where are the younger fencers coming through?
    JohnL

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    [I]
    You've gotta be kidding.

    The MF and MS teams can hold their own at international level. This as a result of a number of years of investment and hard work by the athletes themselves.

    In other weapons one team got only one win over a team that had 3 of their fencers in the bottom 10 of the individual, while another had one of their wins over a team whose fencers came last, 2nd to last, and 3rd to last in the individual. (Thank God Serbia decided to enter teams!!!)

    Where are the younger fencers coming through?
    Yeah I was talking about the competition more generally. E.g. in the individuals I can't remember a time in recent memory where we have achieved so many L16 finishes across the weapons. That's got to be an improvement right?

    At the end of the day a good team performance comes out of good individual fencers so the only thing you can do is continue to develop individual fencers. Which it looks like we are doing.... not sure what you want really. Empires aren't built in a day, especially with no funding.

    I do agree with the point that until we have the fencers to substantiate a team entry, we shouldn't be frittering away precious cash as detailed above.

  7. #47
    Chris Howser cesh_fencing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Northamptonshire - Yarwell
    Posts
    5,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    Yeah I was talking about the competition more generally. E.g. in the individuals I can't remember a time in recent memory where we have achieved so many L16 finishes across the weapons. That's got to be an improvement right?
    Totally agree that to get last 16s in Foil, Epee & Sabre is great to see. Shame no-one was able to push on from that level, but possibly an indicator of a step in the right direction.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •