Thread: Coaches insurance

Default Coaches insurance

I have recently been told that a Level 1 coach may not be insured to coach unsupervised, but I can't find anything online to support that.
    Does anyone know if that is the case and if so where I can find relevent documentation?

Quote Originally Posted by idris View Post
    I have recently been told that a Level 1 coach may not be insured to coach unsupervised, but I can't find anything online to support that.
    Does anyone know if that is the case and if so where I can find relevent documentation?
    Hi Idris. I hope somebody else can shed some light on this as well. On the new website Level 1 seems to have disappeared and been replaced by Introduction to Coaching Fencing. There is no reference there to it's limitations or need for supervision. In fact it seems to imply that you can lead your own sessions. The Core Coach award is a lower award and again seems to imply that you are equipped to lead sessions after one weekends training. I do remember reading that if you joined BF with this and the other paperwork you would be covered to take foam, plastic and metal. I can't find this on the new website. I have previously posted about this in coaches corner but as far as I remember there were noreplies.

I think it needs to be clarified. Why should coaches take their Level 2 if Core Coach will cover them for insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    Hi Idris. I hope somebody else can shed some light on this as well. On the new website Level 1 seems to have disappeared and been replaced by Introduction to Coaching Fencing. There is no reference there to it's limitations or need for supervision. In fact it seems to imply that you can lead your own sessions. The Core Coach award is a lower award and again seems to imply that you are equipped to lead sessions after one weekends training. I do remember reading that if you joined BF with this and the other paperwork you would be covered to take foam, plastic and metal. I can't find this on the new website. I have previously posted about this in coaches corner but as far as I remember there were noreplies.

I think it needs to be clarified. Why should coaches take their Level 2 if Core Coach will cover them for insurance?
    Hello idris,
    In answer to your last paragraph ~ because it will give them more tools to progress and interest their students ! And even highly experienced coaches can pick up new ideas and methods from these courses.

They tend to be fun and well run, and because of Britishfencing's partnership with the FIE academy in budapest over the last 15 yrs, a lot of knowledge has spread throughout the coaching community in Uk ~ which has effected coaches and fencers generally .. Coach workshops are the place to 'plug in' to this resource.

Generally though in response to main query of thread - you can pick up some information on this in the guidelines and best practice section of website. The guidelines ( last time I looked ) were that it's ok for a L1 to coach solo as long as an agreed lesson plan had been composed with help of senior coach / there was a template for the sessions.
    The assumption by the NGB is that the initial level of coaching doesn't equip sufficiently that coaches may work entirely solo for protracted period but specifically advises that they should work in concert with a hub club / senior colleague.
    The reality is that this is a guideline , grey area re insurance.
    Lastly there will be those who have a decade or more of fencing experience, maybe even national level ranking etc as opposed to p.e. Teachers / parent volunteers etc etc who may have absolutely zero fencing experience; the guidelines make no distinction between these as to L1 coaches being insured to coach unsupported.

There is your answer - not clear but you wouldn't want an accident or complaint to occur while operating outside the new guidelines ! Insurers and NGB will always err on side of caution.

Thanks.
    I can feel an email to BF coming on.