Thread: Crowdfunding appeal raises just £170

Default Crowdfunding appeal raises just £170

It's accurate and it's that desperate.

BTW, we're having this as a topic on my podcast very soon so if anyone wants to forward their thoughts (even anonymously) we'd love to hear them.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

I didnt know they were crowdfunding. I dont always pay careful attention to what is happening in British Fencing. Was this well publicised?
    Edward Peck

https://makeachamp.com/athletes/fencing

Found this. Cant help feeling that if £170 was all that was raised by the NGB, then whoever did it, didn't really try.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    if anyone wants to forward their thoughts (even anonymously) we'd love to hear them.
    In for a penny and all that ... here goes for some initial thoughts ....

I don't agree with crowdfunding - asking people for money without actually doing anything for that money doesn't seem like the right solution to me. I believe we, as a sport or as an individual, need to give something back in return for any money received. I see probably 2 or 3 new crowdfunding requests for fencers every week, either on Facebook or Twitter - it's reached saturation point IMO. We all need more money to do the things we want to do. A side story, on the way to Wimbledon on Friday we walked past a young girl selling cold bottled water at the side of the route to the venue. She was raising money for a trip to Botswana. It was a hot day and she probably sold a fair few bottles and made a few extra pounds towards the cost of her trip. Good initiative. I like to see that. I'm not saying we should all be selling water to passing dehydrated sweaty pedestrians, but maybe we can use what we have a little better to sell our sport and our athletes to make us a more investment worthy.

I'm not a brand image consultant or sports marketing expert, but here a few things we can do immediately that could make the difference - something to build upon. If we're going to attract sponsorship or investment then we need to have a vehicle capable of delivering that to fencing community and the general public.

First up - in no particular order - in the build up for all major championships we should do the following;

- Athlete profile videos of all fencers attending the comp. Bit of background, training, hopes for comp, proud to representing GBR, etc. Simple stuff even showing preparation - like this short training vid from Yannick Borel - https://www.instagram.com/p/BlGcrZGA...kborelofficiel - Every video can be co-branded at the start and end with sponsor logos or message. Many other federations have already done this.

- Have that current major championships at the forefront of the main web site along with the links to the athlete profiles and a press release for the media to use. Right now, BF don't even have anything on their site to indicate it's the Worlds next week - pretty much every other federation has it as their primary image.

- Events run by BF - this is the primary window in to us as a sport and a whole lot more can be done here. Every event is a sponsorship opportunity so press packs should be available to download, logos, poster images, social media images created, basically anything that can be sponsored. But these cost money to create I hear you say. Yes they do, so here are some ways to get them done for free or next to nothing;
    - Many events are held at universities or schools - engage the students to design a logo/poster to support the event.
    - Ask the fencing community ... there must be a few of us who are bit handy with Photoshop!
    - Run a competition to design logo/poster and give 1 free competition entry to the winner as a prize
    - For a few pounds, find someone on https://www.fiverr.com/ who can do the job
    Once the event is over, press release it again with photos from the comp - and publish the results quickly. The GB Cup had so much good build up, lots of positives there but we've still not seen the results. That's scandalous if you ask me.

- Events not run by BF - everyone can pitch in here. Again, I'd like to see for every event, not just the results but also some photos and a small write-up. It takes 5 minutes and really adds value to that event. Every organiser should also be encouraged to send a press release about their event to their local newspaper.

All of the above now provide a vehicle for advertising and sponsorship .... which leads me to the web site ....

I really do appreciate that a lot of hard work has been put into creating this so it feels a little unfair criticising it - but from the perspective of attracting advertising and co-branding, it unfortunately misses the mark. There is so much going on visually that as an advertiser/sponsor I would feel that my message and brand identity will just be consumed by everything else on the page and lost. Right now, the BF brand smacks you in the face - KAPOWWWW - knock out blow struck. It's too much. Give the brand some space to breathe and allow the opportunity for others to co-brand and support.

There - it's a start. If we all throw out some ideas, then maybe we can come up with something that is viable. Feel free to shoot me down

Thanks Dan.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

I agree with all of the points- especially the personalisation of the fund raising. People buy people. The call to action to support James Davies is much more compelling than "Crowd Funding for the Worlds".

I don't mind crowdfunding. I think its got its place - I suspect it will work best where people believe in the "greater purpose" of whatever they are asked to fund. We invest in British Fencing because we are part of the fencing community and want GB to succeed... crowdfunding the GB team makes me feel good because I am contributing to the community.

In this case I dont think that any of these are the problem. I look down the list of emails that I have had from BF recently and I can't see a request for money. In order to offer funding we need to know we are being asked.
    Edward Peck

This is the donation link, over £1k now.
    https://mydonate.bt.com/events/fundfencing/467151

This is the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPi4zv1rIk8

These are the Athlete profiles on BF:
    https://www.britishfencing.com/athletes/

I said on FB that the problem with fundraising directly is that in the past, under the previous PD, the elite pathway has been seen to be very heavy with additional support staff and costs to pay for.
    I think this has largely gone now, but there's still the perception that it might be better to support your chosen athletes individually rather than the whole team. This was particularly true for the Euros where full teams were sent without a qualifying standard.

But there are two reasons which mean that collective donation is better. One is gift aid, which applies as BF is a registered charity. This makes the money go further, which can't be a bad thing.
    The second is the clarity provided about where the money will be spent as per https://www.britishfencing.com/senio...ionships-2018/

Notable is that the Crowdfunder hosted event last year did many times better than this one - perhaps the choice of platform is significant here (£18.6k in 66 days):
    https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/fundfencing

I was thinking of sponsor ops this morning whilst walking to work and came up with the idea of quintessential British brands and how fencing can be aligned with those Ö it's a bit cheesy but stuff like this could be worth a thought.

more cheese ...

Quote Originally Posted by danKew View Post
    more cheese ...
    You've got the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    You've got the job!
    Heh, I've got one of those already - and really should be doing it and not messing around in Photoshop

A lot of what's written on this piece of paper strikes chords ..

https://twitter.com/jamiefox1/status...65766313275394

I think BF are definitely on the right track by joining forces with other disadvantaged sports to try to get UK Sport to provide baseline funding for all Olympic sports. So well done for that!

Meanwhile now that athletes are largely funding themselves with the help of charitable donations it seems to me that a significant part of the cost is travel to the competitions. Maybe BF could take the approach with companies in the travel sector of not asking for sponsor money but rather agreeing an ongoing arrangement that gives discounted flights/accommodation? Just an idea. I bet it's already been tried though.

I agree that crowdfunding for the entire squad was probably folly. I would be happy to support some fencers but not others. Some fencers in the squad have truly given their life to the sport, there are examples in most weapons however there are some on the squad who are fairly causal in their approach to training and I donít particularly want to be paying my hard earned money to support them. Thatís going to attract some negative attention but itís probably what a lot of people are thinking.

The pathway was great. It allowed people to have a little bit of fun for a couple of years. But did it yield results?

What is sure is that it cost a lot of money. For us casuals itís going to take more time to re-establish trust. And I think that our atheletes need to readjust their expectations. The reality is that there are probably only a few fencers who are currently demonstrating the commitment to be full time and fully funded. If they approach me Iíd help out but Iím not blanket funding everyone.

Forum Rabbit

When's the podcast on this top going to air, Gav? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    I agree that crowdfunding for the entire squad was probably folly. I would be happy to support some fencers but not others. .
    That puts you nicely in tune with British Fencing then

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardHyde View Post
    Liked the (very) small smiley!

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardHyde View Post
    It also puts me in tune with every other sporting governing body in the world. Because, you know, sport is competitive..... and therefore so is funding.

Maybe you would have us adopt a position where every athlete receives absolutely equal funding regardless of merit?

Please, pray tell?

Or continue to make nonsensical smarmy comments. Your call.