Thread: Epee shorting somewhere after a rewire

Default Epee shorting somewhere after a rewire

Hi,

I've just rewired my epee. About the 3rd time I've done one and it looked like a tidier job than the last 2 times so I was happy! But... It passes all tests until I put the socket in place (yes with the socket 'wired in' but away from the blade no probs). When I put the socket piece on the blade so that the metal of the socket is touching the blade behind the guard the green testing light comes on.

So

1) weapon fully assembled and attached to testing box - green light
    2) weapon fully assembled and attached to testing box with tip pressed - red and green light
    3) weapon disassembled but attached to testing box (socket not touching weapon) - no light (as should be!)
    3) weapon disassembled but attached to testing box (socket not touching weapon) with tip pressed in - red light (as should be!)

(I've tried 2 sockets)

Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong and whether it is fixable ?

It sounds like you might have a break in your insulation on one of the wires near where it passes through the hole in the guard.

If that is the case you may be able to fix it by making sure the sleeving that you put over the wires in the handle covers that break. I think it's only suppose to go as far down the wires so that it's flush with the outside of the guard. However if you're not planning on doing any FIE comps in the near future you can get away with pushing it further down so that it sticks out a little to make sure you've got it covered.

Also check you don't have a stray wire end sticking out from the terminal connectors on the socket that may be touching the guard.

Okay thanks.

Actually I hadn't realised that the insulation needed to be flush and it goes through 1/4 cm! No big deal, I did it on purpose to avoid the issue you mentioned but I'll try something else next time! That isn't it though as I have very definitely isolated it to the socket. I'll check again for loose wires but I don't think so as I actually tried a whole different socket.

Irritatingly I don't even really know what a green light means for epee (presumably off target for other weapons ?)

Oh well I'm going to club tonight so I'll see if any of the coaches/armourers can see the problem.

Thanks!

[Mexican accent ]Hey Gringo![/Mexican accent]

I need closure. What was it in the end?