Thread: Richard Kruse world ranking and no funding

Default Richard Kruse world ranking and no funding

Richard Kruse ends the 2017/18 season ranked 2nd in the World. An extraordinary achievement for a fencer who is neither funded by UKS or his NGB and who made the top 8 at the World Championships back in 2003 in Cuba and the top 8 in the Athens Olympic games.

I appreciate he may well have some sponsorship and private funding from individuals, but it seems incredible to me that an athlete in any sport who can win a World Championships Silver medal and end the season ranked 2nd in the world does not deserve some funding support from UKS. Surely they do not think Richard is over the hill?

Richard is currently our best hope of qualifying for Tokyo and indeed achieving a result there.

Clearly I hope UKS might also fund the MF team, who have an outside chance of qualifying for Tokyo, albeit tough, and also our MS Team so that they can develop towards 2024.

Tokyo Olympics Qualification
    It may seem a bit early, but after this summer, there is only one more World Championships before Tokyo.

As 8 teams qualify per weapon now (Top 4 in world plus one per zone), there are only 10 individual places per weapon left.

Of those 10, only 3 will go to Europe.

2 come from an adjusted world ranking taking out all the nations that have teams qualified already.

1 comes from a European zonal qualifier for countries that have no team qualified in that weapon and also have no fencers in that weapon in the Adjusted World ranking who have qualified.

I think individual qualification is going to be very tough, although once you take the 8 nations out after the team events, you may need to go quite a way down the rankings in some weapons to qualify.

Absolutely b****y brilliant. Should shame UK sport into funding !
    Last edited by Mini Musketeer; -24th July 2018 at 22:35. Reason: spelling doh

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    Should shame UK sport into funding !
    I doubt it, they are politically and social media driven.
    In short no one will notice if fencing does something amazing for longer than 5 minutes once every 4 years & UKS do not care about sports that are not in the public view every week of every year, they only "gamble" on medal chances with very short odds.

However Richard was amazing and has done the sport proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    Absolutely b****y brilliant. Should shame UK sport into funding !
    Was a bit tongue in cheek. Didn't expect a miracle. Wasn't there a special case badminton i think where a personal award was made after funding withdrawl?

I am hoping that BF is putting together a coherent package for UKS to have funding reinstated, bot the RK and the MF team.

With RK ranked #2 in the worls having won 2 GP's this season and silver at the world's (as well as just missing a medal at the last Olympics) a clear case for funding can be made.

Also, with JD reaching the L8 at the World's (no mean achievement) funding for him and the team would be a reasonable proposal.

Hopefully BF are on it already.
    JohnL