Thread: BF Junior and Cadent season announcement today...

Forum Rabbit

Default BF Junior and Cadent season announcement today...

BF announcement today:

"2019/20 & 2020/21 GBR Junior and Cadet Season Start Dates Announced

The first weekend of the 2019/20 season for the Cadet (U17) and Junior (U20) will be the weekend of 31st August/1st September, 2019. This weekend is most likely to be a National Camp and any Junior or Cadet wishing to represent GBR in the 19/20 season will be expected to attend. Depending on the FIE and EFC calendar (not expected to be confirmed until June 2019) this weekend may used as a British Ranking Competition.

Please note that the following season 20/21 will start on the August bank holiday weekend as in 2020 it falls right at the end of the month: August 29-31 2020. By confirming this now we hope that athletes will be able to take this into consideration when booking holidays for Summer 2020."

What does 'National Camp' in this context mean? (As a parent it sounds expensive!)
    "..will be expected to attend" I presume means compulsory attendance?

Forum Rabbit

I took it essentially as a note to keep your dates free: don't go booking your Summer holidays at the end of August.

The first few BRC's will always influence the selections for the GBR teams in that frantic period before Christmas.
    There has been previous comment that insufficient notice is given and BF have responded with an indication of what may be happening, giving significant notice for next season and indeed the one after.

As regards cost, a camp will be cheaper than most competitions held in a similar location over a similar period of time

Yes it can be perceived as an additional cost, but the information garnered from it by newer fencers and their support (Parents/Guardians etc.) can be invaluable to some.
    Last edited by MSK; -27th November 2018 at 13:02.

Forum Rabbit

Yes, good to have advanced notice...makes a nice change

"As regards cost, a camp will be cheaper than most competitions held in a similar location over a similar period of time."

I'm not sure I follow. If it's both a camp and a competition, surely it's going to cost more than just a competition?

I admit that when I first read it, I thought it meant that the "national camp" was going to be a replacement/rebranding of the championships at the beginning of the season, but looking again, I think I misunderstood.

Hi c.man
    There is no fee I donít think , and itís just a couple of days of athletes sparring / training / and having some talks about how to manage their season..and optimise their own individual training plans.
    Itís also the chance for the talent and development coaches to connect with the fencers / see their condition after summer ( when ideally all will have done a training camp or two )
    Itís not a big deal...but it is something to commit to if serious ! There are one or two others of these done during the season ( for example for current cohort there is a get together over Xmas hols ).
    Regards
    Mark