Thread: Team tournaments - what would it take?

Default Team tournaments - what would it take?

There is a general lack of team fencing in the UK and I think that lots of fencers and clubs could benefit from it. SO, if we were to set up a small circuit and a league what would it take to get people to go?

- integration with opens?
    - prize money?
    - a good day's fencing?
    - having the competition mean something (for example in individuals the pot of gold is often selections)?
    - separated by region?
    - club recognition?

Your answers on a post card please!

Quote Originally Posted by J4G View Post
    There is a general lack of team fencing in the UK and I think that lots of fencers and clubs could benefit from it. SO, if we were to set up a small circuit and a league what would it take to get people to go?

- integration with opens?
    - prize money?
    - a good day's fencing?
    - having the competition mean something (for example in individuals the pot of gold is often selections)?
    - separated by region?
    - club recognition?

Your answers on a post card please!
    I did Canadas Royal Military college team competition. It was great and mostly worked because all the universities got involved

Chichester Open works really well with individual men's and women's open in the morning and team events in the afternoon

I've already been working to develop a team series over the past few years. So far it consists of Stirling Sword and Manchester Sword. Format is simple:

Saturday - Mixed Team Event
    - Round of poules of 3/4 teams followed by D/Es (including 3rd/4th place match) if there are 9 or more teams
    - Simple round robin format for all teams if there are 8 or less teams
    - Evening social event

Sunday - Mixed Individual Event
    - 2 rounds of poules followed by D/Es

What works for these events:

- Recreational licence - Very popular amongst students (~60% of all entries are from university clubs) and club fencers doing their only competition of the season
    - Low entry costs - Popular for overseas entries and club fencers doing their first competition
    - Evening social - Allows fencers that only see each other at competitions to get together and relax
    - Being able to fence one weapon both days - Better value for money
    - Mixed gender - Makes it much easier to form teams, particularly for fencing families (brother-sister-parent), clubmates that train together, couples that never get to fence together at competitions etc.
    - Mid-morning check-in times - Allowing for travel to and from the venue on the day

At the 2018 Stirling Sword we had 52 teams across the weapons (having had to turn some away in foil and epee), with 140 fencers staying for the Sunday, more than twice the size of any other Scottish senior competition, including ranking events. The 2018 Manchester Sword had 17 teams and 60 staying for the Sunday, good numbers for its first year. The format has proved so popular that one of the French clubs that regularly attends these events have exported the format to run their own event, The PSL, for the past few years with similar entry numbers.

I've been looking to expand this series with more events across the UK, all I need is a suitable venue and 2/3 of the local clubs to really get behind it. If anyone is interested in helping me to set-up one, you are welcome to contact me via manchestersword(at)gmail.com.