Thread: Musing from a weekend of competitions

Default Musing from a weekend of competitions

So last weekend I competed in the Cambridge Winter Foil and then refereed at the BRC Cadet competition run by Fencers Club. Some thoughts:

1. Well run six weapon opens still work. At the Cambridge Winter, there was an excellent turnout for the foil (which had a waiting list - 57 men and 22 women). There were two rounds of poules, so everyone got plenty of fencing. The organisers ran the competition efficiently, and there were plenty of foil referees, not necessarily at the highest standard, but more than adequate. The standard of fencing was pretty high, and the women's foil even attracted some international fencers (One thought - couldn't events specifically say that international fencers are welcomed in their marketing?) Overall it was an excellent day out

2. British Cadet foil is in rude health. There was an excellent turnout with 73 men, and 58 women. Unlike some of the disastrous BRC cadet and junior competitions this season, there were more than 20 referees of a very high standard. The competition started at 10am (thank you!) and was done by 5.30. It was a model of how these events should be run. Some of the fencing was very good too.

3. Some of the cadet fencers need to learn how to maintain their foils properly. Two of the weapons I tested hardly registered when I depressed the tips. I could predict the result of the poule fight pretty easily from that. Also many of the foils had tape missing from the top of the barrel, increasing the chances that valid hits don't register. There were also far too many weapons failing the weight tests. It takes five minutes to clean a tip and put in a new spring and then tape the foil properly. After all the investment in time and money, to go on the piste with inadequate kit is inexcusable.

4. Something truly weird happened with the weight testing at one end of the piste. I've never seen this before. Foils from various competitors were failing regularly. It was pointed out to me that they were all at the same end of the piste. It made no sense, but we tested the foil at the other end and it passed! Alex Savin (o wise one) said he had seen it once before, and swapped out the spool and ground lead, and the problem disappeared. Very strange, but something to look out for if your foils are failing regularly for no reason.

That's it after a weekend in two different gyms.

Don't be modest Francophile, how did you do?

Default slow start

I scored one hit in my first two poule matches and it improved (a bit) after that. I do like two rounds of poules, it allows me to edge into competitions. These youngsters are so energetic straight out of the gate...

Quote Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
    I scored one hit in my first two poule matches and it improved (a bit) after that. I do like two rounds of poules, it allows me to edge into competitions. These youngsters are so energetic straight out of the gate...
    Lulling them into a false sense of security. Straight from the wily vets fencing handbook! I like it