Thread: Lucarini - Tech Cheat?

Default Lucarini - Tech Cheat?

For those of you who can read Italian:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...zPTWKyKf1_hDIg

Potentially one of the largest tech cheating scandals in fencing history. Lucarini of Italy is reported to have been using technology to null opponents touches dating all the way back to 2015 (cadet worlds silver medal).

An investigation by the FIE has apparently been hushed up at the request of the Italian Federation however this has now been leaked.

Video footage purports to show a catalogue of seemingly impossible hits all achieved whilst a member of her camp was standing in close proximity to the piste.

Reply from Valerio Aspromonte in the comments too (My Italian is poor but tried to translate):
    I do not usually comment on certain events but in this case I feel compelled to do so. I introduce myself as Valerio Aspromonte, a foilist who has been practicing this sport for 25 years and has seen many of them. I comment because the anonymous who writes this is destroying the life of a girl I see with my eyes 8 hours a day in a fencing room, that sweats and cries from fatigue at the end of the evening. As well as many others, it is certainly not the first nor it will be the last I hope, I hope because unlike many, I deeply believe in these young athletes who are coming out now. I reply by saying that in 2005 in the men's foil, a lot of trouble occurred due to the change of equipment which brought many technical and tactical changes but an episode remained impressed ... and with some maaany athletes stronger than me, we realized that the use of a lamé of a given brand compared to another scored less and that in a 15 hit fight would have allowed to save at least 3/4 times. it happened also to me in a nation qualification competition in Ravenna that I pulled in the table of the 32 with Elvis Gregory. For me a myth, when 5 times hit me in full chest, his light did not light and I touched 5 times with a very mischievous (hit?). At the end of a great champion's fight he squeezed my hand and laughed and told me that I had put my spells on my jacket to keep it from turning on. Oh I forgot, other athletes had the remote control or the button as you put in the picture, yet these magical things happened the same.
    Youu can not accuse a girl for more than 10 months without having evidence making her pass for a thief just because someone has taken over the father who scratched his testicles.(is this a phrase &#128514.
    We are attacking a young athlete who has not committed any crime until proven otherwise.
    Time will be a gentleman and will demonstrate its true value ... but we must not be the ones who destroy their dream.
    Do not put anonymous messages because they are not needed but it is also easy to understand who is writing.
    If someone rightly wants to say their idea and is good and correct you should sign at the end of the letter or message, because otherwise the criticism immediately loses its value.
    Thank you
    Valerio
    Foilist

He may well have a point
    I recently switched to a new lightweight lame from leonpaul and in one evening I noticed that there were several ( seven or eight ) hits that normally would have registered! FYI I normally fence 5 or 6 fights to 15 ( Thankyou leonpaul

I used to use uhlmann basic or negrini basic lames ...

As to the translation above - yes as translated literally but it’s a colloquial saying - akin to the English expressions “ don’t take the mickey “ or more strongly ‘ don’t break my b’lls’

Agree here with V.A. Incidentally this phenomenon is also reason why they changed to soft cover for chest protectors as hits were bouncing off/ tip not registering therefor. In this instance it’s lame that is ‘slippery’. Or maybe both
    Kind regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jacdaw View Post
    Reply from Valerio Aspromonte in the comments too (My Italian is poor but tried to translate):
    I think this is the google translate version... . .

Anyway, yes Apromonte has come back with his defence of the athlete but the vast majority of the commentary below (and even in direct response to Aspromonte) fairly conclusively debunks his claims. Not least because sabre lames simply don't work the same as foil (there is no bounce off).

The number of hits, the video evidence and the commentary from those in the know (and not directly on the Italian Team) are quite damning in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by FencingMove View Post
    I think this is the google translate version... . .
    You'd be surprised how much I had to do myself Google translate isn't great. I tried Google translate and it just made gibberish. I had to look a few phrases up that I didn't know though. But your welcome either way.
    Foilist