Thread: Kids internationals - stop making them travel via London

Default Kids internationals - stop making them travel via London

So a couple of my guys are are going to the Cadet/Junior Euros and Worlds and I am a little irritated by this discussion:

Looking forward to the comp?
    Yes.
    When do you fly out?
    X days before the team flies out ... from London.
    What? Why don't you fly direct?
    No. We're supposed to go to London be collected and ferried to [ultra] expensive hotel accommodation.
    But surely you could meet the team at the event hotel?
    Yes although, we're not allowed. (placating voice) It's ok, we've booked an extra x days hotels in London.... the trip is only a few hundred pounds more. I'll just chill out.

This is frankly - and I'm biting my tongue here - ridiculous.

I understand the rationale behind keeping the team together. I understand that from a logistics and safety pov it's very desirable to have them stay together.

But.

The additional costs for those athletes not travelling from London: travel/transit time, connecting flights and hotel, food (etc) are placing an unacceptable burden on parents.

When I learned that this was still going on I was pretty astonished. I thought we'd be okay with the fencers turning up to the event hotel at an agreed date and time. This makes much more sense - who cares how they get there?

It's not like these guys are being paid to do this.

So if someone wants to give me a good reason for why we're forcing the kids to travel like this - I am all ears. Please feel free to justify it.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Initiate

Hi Gav

I am not sure this is actually true. Last year for the Euros, I raised this issue and I was given the option of flying out from a Northern airport. In actual fact, getting to Sochi from North England proved a nightmare and we did choose to travel to London and fly with the team. However, those for whom the team based airport is a sensible departure point are expected to travel with the team.

Default Well done Gav !

Keeping the forum alive ! - Well done !

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Musketeer View Post
    Keeping the forum alive ! - Well done !
    I actually have time to vent some frustration this morning!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by wolo View Post
    Hi Gav

I am not sure this is actually true. Last year for the Euros, I raised this issue and I was given the option of flying out from a Northern airport. In actual fact, getting to Sochi from North England proved a nightmare and we did choose to travel to London and fly with the team. However, those for whom the team based airport is a sensible departure point are expected to travel with the team.
    All I can say is that this isn't what I was told last night...
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    All I can say is that this isn't what I was told last night...
    Since this only applies to Cadet and Junior events like Euros and Worlds - as far as I am aware, I believe the main reason is that managing the logistics for all those competing is much simpler if the team travels - flights and transfers etc - together. For U17s they must be chaperoned as they are still minors and BF has a responsibility for the safety of the athletes for the entirety of the event duration (handover at team airport departure/return point). Again, makes perfect sense. Clearly, London is normally the departure point of choice because it offers the best routes to all of these wild and wacky locations that are the home of fencing events. The desire of BF is for everyone to take this route. However, in the event that it just does not make sense - fencer lives overseas or if getting to London is too problematic / expensive - the fencer can request to be considered an independent traveler. This requires permission from BF but again if the case makes sense, this is normally not contested. However, in the event there is a minor involved, I believe a guardian (be that parent, coach or other designated responsible person) is required to ensure that minor-aged athlete is delivered safely to the chief de mission / head weapon coach at the agreed entry date/time point. Again, all makes sense given that safety of the athletes is the primary goal followed by the logistical / organizational ease of having full teams of 3 weapons / 2 genders for the cadets and juniors.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalFencingMum View Post
    Since this only applies to Cadet and Junior events like Euros and Worlds - as far as I am aware, I believe the main reason is that managing the logistics for all those competing is much simpler if the team travels - flights and transfers etc - together. For U17s they must be chaperoned as they are still minors and BF has a responsibility for the safety of the athletes for the entirety of the event duration (handover at team airport departure/return point). Again, makes perfect sense. Clearly, London is normally the departure point of choice because it offers the best routes to all of these wild and wacky locations that are the home of fencing events. The desire of BF is for everyone to take this route. However, in the event that it just does not make sense - fencer lives overseas or if getting to London is too problematic / expensive - the fencer can request to be considered an independent traveler. This requires permission from BF but again if the case makes sense, this is normally not contested. However, in the event there is a minor involved, I believe a guardian (be that parent, coach or other designated responsible person) is required to ensure that minor-aged athlete is delivered safely to the chief de mission / head weapon coach at the agreed entry date/time point. Again, all makes sense given that safety of the athletes is the primary goal followed by the logistical / organizational ease of having full teams of 3 weapons / 2 genders for the cadets and juniors.

All very sensible and measured, but not everyone sees it that way when organising trips. For example, were you aware that having organised independent travel, Sport80 are still charging fencers who did not use their services 50 admin fee for each trip? Basically punished whether or not we do the sensible thing as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by coach carson View Post
    All very sensible and measured, but not everyone sees it that way when organising trips. For example, were you aware that having organised independent travel, Sport80 are still charging fencers who did not use their services 50 admin fee for each trip? Basically punished whether or not we do the sensible thing as you describe.
    Yes... I believe their justification is that the Sport80 fee is negotiated and split across the number of fencers attending the event. If you attend JWC or Euros or Worlds, even if you are an independent traveler you are such until you get to the location and at which point you stay in the team hotel etc which are arranged by Sport80. Given it is the independent traveller opting out for the transportation part - and sometimes they only opt out of the airfare but will use the airport transfers arranged by Sport80- there is still some Sport80 involvement. Although I do think, in all fairness, that the Sport80 fee should be proportionally less for the independent travelers this is a battle I have not decided to launch.