Thread: Senior European selection....

Default Senior European selection....

Firstly I couldn't find any details covering the selection of athletes for the 2019 Euros on the official BF website but did find this tagged onto the U23 Euro Facebook announcement from March the 4th.

"📣U23 European Championships, Plovdiv May 29 to June 2, 2019 📣 The link for the selection policy for the U23 🇬🇧GBR Team is available at the link below. Rankings to be used for selection:
    Senior – March
    Junior – after Junior European Championships.

Selection will be confirmed as soon as possible after the senior rankings have been published.

https://www.britishfencing.com/u23-e...-plovdiv-2019/ "

Just wondering if anyone knows if this has transpired yet? Especially since we are now in April with the release of this month's rankings.
    Also are March rankings being used concretely this Season as it didn't matter a hoot last year?
    We find the WF Ranking table paralysed as I warned about 11 months ago; Top 4 safe with Discretionary Euro Points from last Season, with noone making moves at WC's or GP's (British No1 with 1xL64 like last Season and no other real progression from other athletes), not much movement in the Top 16 apart from where individuals have gained abroad at Satellites. Therefore domestically it is now all most impossible to be considered for WC/GP selection without competing abroad at Satellites to gain points that are no longer available at home btw!

Anyway anyone with an update would be nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    Firstly I couldn't find any details covering the selection of athletes for the 2019 Euros on the official BF website but did find this tagged onto the U23 Euro Facebook announcement from March the 4th.

"📣U23 European Championships, Plovdiv May 29 to June 2, 2019 📣 The link for the selection policy for the U23 🇬🇧GBR Team is available at the link below. Rankings to be used for selection:
    Senior – March
    Junior – after Junior European Championships.

Selection will be confirmed as soon as possible after the senior rankings have been published.

https://www.britishfencing.com/u23-e...-plovdiv-2019/ "

Just wondering if anyone knows if this has transpired yet? Especially since we are now in April with the release of this month's rankings.
    Also are March rankings being used concretely this Season as it didn't matter a hoot last year?
    We find the WF Ranking table paralysed as I warned about 11 months ago; Top 4 safe with Discretionary Euro Points from last Season, with noone making moves at WC's or GP's (British No1 with 1xL64 like last Season and no other real progression from other athletes), not much movement in the Top 16 apart from where individuals have gained abroad at Satellites. Therefore domestically it is now all most impossible to be considered for WC/GP selection without competing abroad at Satellites to gain points that are no longer available at home btw!

Anyway anyone with an update would be nice....
    I feel your pain. After your daughter had been sitting ranked number two in the SWF for a couple of seasons and then not been selected to take part in last years Europeans and having three lower ranked athletes discretionarily selected to participate such that the 8000 odd points they gained from a couple of poule victories demoted her to the fifth place she is still at albeit after a fantastic season from her which gained her a lot of points but not enough to fully claw back the bf imposed massive differential!
    If, as you say, BF actually stick to the top ranked criteria that the other five weapons had last year and apply it to SWF then this would mean that she would continue to be penalised for an arbitrary poor decision made a year ago for yet another season and as you point out the massive imbalance for FIE championship points make it almost impossible for other fencers to break into the top of the ranking system with a consequent loss of opportunity and possibly funding where it falls short of ranking targets.
    BF really need to sort their ranking system out to properly incentivise their athletes!

Cheers LB58.

But this isn't just about my daughter it's problematic throughout the ranking system there has been very little movement for a whole year caused by fake points at the top and an extremely weak domestic circuit.

I predicted this 11 months ago and here we are with a stagnant list of names. I encouraged fencers to do the mini-satellite-season as this would be the only way for improvement and growth. I'm glad to see many of our top 16 fencers did such events. I made it 7 satellites and there was also an adult U23 event which followed the Barcelona competition. These available points would allow movement in the rankings up to 4th place, to progress any further an individual would have to qualify for the Euros with a L32 WC or GP finish!!!

I found it very perplexing that these events would not be considered of any value in selection when the ranking is altered in the future. To retain championship discretionary points and not points from these events where any GB fencer can compete seems bizarre.

But the main thing as always with BF is the failure to carry out what has been published - no matter how hard it is to find, "Selection will be confirmed as soon as possible after the senior rankings have been published", that was March rankings not April which we are on now.

Had another dig through the official BF website to no avail, only Senior Euro & World information from 2018!
    So all the fencing community has had to go on is a tag on a Facebook release on another age groups announcement.

Not very inspiring...