Thread: Non UK national fencing in GB Vet event

Default Non UK national fencing in GB Vet event

I'm a UK resident and hold a BF licence but not a UK passport holder. I was thinking of entering some of the veteran events but I wasn't sure if I'm allowed. Am I allowed to participate and is there a difference between selection and non selection event. As an example the BVF Championships?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    I'm a UK resident and hold a BF licence but not a UK passport holder. I was thinking of entering some of the veteran events but I wasn't sure if I'm allowed. Am I allowed to participate and is there a difference between selection and non selection event. As an example the BVF Championships?
    BVF rules here - http://www.veterans-fencing.co.uk/do...s-mar-2019.pdf

Need to be British National for that event.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    BVF rules here - http://www.veterans-fencing.co.uk/do...s-mar-2019.pdf

Need to be British National for that event.
    Thanks for that and makes sense as it the British National. Does the same restriction apply to other events?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Thanks for that and makes sense as it the British National. Does the same restriction apply to other events?
    Think this rule is just for British Vets Championships and the British Vets Age-groups.

All other veteran events, like last weekend's West Mids Open, Elite Epee Veteran, LP veteran events etc are open to all.

Chris

Default BF member but non-BVF member not eligible for top vets prize in UK open.

Along similar lines:
    Any views re a BF member but non-BVF member (not a BVF member because they are not British) deemed not eligible for top vet's prize in a UK open, because they are not a BVF member?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Eames View Post
    Along similar lines:
    Any views re a BF member but non-BVF member (not a BVF member because they are not British) deemed not eligible for top vet's prize in a UK open, because they are not a BVF member?
    Tricky one!

I think I've missed out in the past on a vets prize because I'd let my BVF membership lapse but I was still a BF member. And I thought that was fair but that's non membership for a different reason.

Maybe BVF need a second type of membership for non-nationals that gives them the right to claim these prizes. Or just allow non nationals to join. Why not?

When I fenced in Portugal they even let me join in the vet national championships. Luckily I didn't win it

Although I did win the national senior team sabre title one year as each team was allowed one non national.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Eames View Post
    Along similar lines: Any views re a BF member but non-BVF member (not a BVF member because they are not British) deemed not eligible for top vet's prize in a UK open, because they are not a BVF member?
    If they are of the age to be a veteran they should be eligible for a Veteran's prize as being a Veteran is specifically on age.

If the prize is specifically for the top BVF member, then that is different, however I do not remember that ever being specified at events (but may have missed it).

Quote Originally Posted by cesh_fencing View Post
    If the prize is specifically for the top BVF member, then that is different, however I do not remember that ever being specified at events (but may have missed it).
    cesh I'm sure there are some events that specify a BVF valid membership is required to win Best Vet Prize, I'm raking my brains where I've read it. It would have been perhaps Welsh/Birmingham/Essex maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    cesh I'm sure there are some events that specify a BVF valid membership is required to win Best Vet Prize, I'm raking my brains where I've read it. It would have been perhaps Welsh/Birmingham/Essex maybe...
    Its not the Welsh. We go purely on age.