Thread: Passing of Gary Longthorn

Default Passing of Gary Longthorn

It is with deepest sadness to inform you all of the passing of Gary Longthorn, who lost his year long fight with cancer on Tuesday 14th May. Gary was a member of West Lancs Fencing Club (formerly Kirkby fencing club) and MOFT tournament. Gary grew to love the sport and found he had a natural ability which produced numerous trophies and titles. He held the North West Master of Arms title on multiple occasions which showed his ability at all three weapons. The most notable of these was the title of “Merseyside open Mens Epee champion”, which his friends had the pleasure to watch his skills and cheer him on. When Gary was not competing, he was heavily involved in committee matters for West Lancs and the MOFT tournament, taking on the Treasurer, Chairman and Web master roles for numerous years. He also took on the role of running of the Helmac one hit epee competition. This show cased his skills in producing a well-run, smooth competition which in turn was supported by fencers from all over the country. Gary was a gentleman who was well liked by all that met him and we will miss the huge footprint he has left on fencing in the North west. Gary’s passing will leave a big hole in the fencing world and one that won’t easily be filled.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    It is with deepest sadness to inform you all of the passing of Gary Longthorn, who lost his year long fight with cancer on Tuesday 14th May.
    I am deeply sorry to hear this. I never knew Gary closely enough to call him a friend but he was a colleague whose contribution to the sport, especially in the North-West region, I valued.

Please post details of the funeral arrangements when these become available.
    If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.

Forum Rabbit

Default Gary’s funeral arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by bafco View Post
    I am deeply sorry to hear this. I never knew Gary closely enough to call him a friend but he was a colleague whose contribution to the sport, especially in the North-West region, I valued.

Please post details of the funeral arrangements when these become available.
    Gary’s funeral will be held at West Lancs Crematorium, Pippin Lane, Ormskirk Lancs L40 7SP on Wednesday 29th May at 1.45 pm. All are welcome. Family flowers only please. Donations can given on the day or you can pass on to any of the MOFT committee. Thank you.

I am really sorry to hear this. Gary did so much for fencing in the North West, and for MOFT in particular. RIP
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.