Thread: Student 5 Nations age category?

Default Student 5 Nations age category?

Does anyone know the age category for the Student 5 Nations?

Is it U18? or school year based so U18 and 1/3?

The Youth 5 Nations is Under-18, the Student 5 Nations is for anyone that is a current student at a university in one of the 5 nations.

Default Youth 5 Nations age

How is the Youth 5 nations organised?

Looking at the through the selections. It looks like a few selected for England where born 2001? Which I think means they are older than 18? If school year then this would make sense. If U18.33 at the start of the year.

I am curious why England Fencing would use the adjusted GBR U20 ranking lists for selections. If the competition was U18. Why not just use the end of year rankings which has the 18 years olds in it? Seems to be anti the not to encourage the fencing up ethos. Not sure if the not fencing up makes any sense at this age anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Akster View Post
    How is the Youth 5 nations organised?

Looking at the through the selections. It looks like a few selected for England where born 2001? Which I think means they are older than 18? If school year then this would make sense. If U18.33 at the start of the year.

I am curious why England Fencing would use the adjusted GBR U20 ranking lists for selections. If the competition was U18. Why not just use the end of year rankings which has the 18 years olds in it? Seems to be anti the not to encourage the fencing up ethos. Not sure if the not fencing up makes any sense at this age anyway.
    As age in youth fencing is done by year of birth U18 in 2019 would be those born in 2001 or later ie U18 at the start of the year. The 2018/9 Cadet ranking U17 cannot be used as only 2002 younger are on it so the most appropriate ranking to use is the U20 as is the only Youth ranking list that has 2001 and younger fencers on the same list.

The rules being I applied I believe are the same as was previously used for the School Games.

There was a doc produced by EF last year that outlined the selection process, but I haven't seen one for this years event. Check last years at - https://englandfencing.co.uk/selecti...-cardiff-2018/

Thank both. Makes sense.

Seems a shame that this info is not published on a more "permanent" basis.
    I would guess there are 4 / 5 competitions England Fencing send teams to on a regular cycle and the criterion doesn't really need to change on a YoY basis.

Thinking 5 Nations, Youth 5 Nations, Commonwealth, Junior / Cadet Commonwealth.
    Doesn't really need to state actual dates / venues (though that would be nice). Just a few basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Akster View Post
    Seems a shame that this info is not published on a more "permanent" basis.
    I completely agree.